We’ve never had it as good

SweenyTodd

So many people are depressed , both in Ireland and around the world because they think the world is going to hell(figuratively). They see murder, rape, war, poverty, housing crises, health crises etc and feel the future will be bleak. However this is all wrong.

If you look at statistics over the last 500 years (or back to when available ,depending on the country) everything is getting better. We live far longer than our ancestors of just 100 years ago, men don’t work down mines breathing coal , our children are very unlikely to die in their infancy, Europe has never had as much peace as in the last 70 Years. Most people used to have no shoes, wore rags, were hungry and disease was rampant.

If you could pick any time in history to live in Ireland, or in a random country in the world, you would pick now.

Why are people reluctant to admit humanity’s progress ? Would such an admission reduce depression ? We are the lucky ones.
[video=youtube;V_AwCM_cPFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_AwCM_cPFM&list=PL_K7XH1AIG8wk9T9l1DMn9-P0UQ3HEPUZ&index=32[/video]

Man or Mouse

The threat of pylons and wind farms has destroyed rural living.
Threat?

What about the actual stuff? Rivers and lakes polluted beyond any acceptable level due to intensive agriculture, for just one.

Man or Mouse

Switzerland, The USA, Israel, Monaco, Iceland, New Zealand, Pakistan, India, Papa New Guinea, Zimbabwe, Northern Ireland, Chad, Tanzania, Isle of man, The Crimea, South Korea Taiwan.
So Switzerland and Northern Ireland are on a par in terms of governance?

sic transit

True, many I know don't feel they live as well as their parents did when they were young. And most are aware that Ireland in the 1970s or 1980s was no bed of roses.
The problem of comparing modern life to other eras is that it cannot capture the expectations, much reduced in earlier times, and what people perceived they needed to feel content or happy.

tigerben

After spending near a hour outside Penney’s in cork waiting for my daughters , I can say that I’m surprised how many people still smoke and amazed how many middle aged upwards are walking with one crutch or walking stick . Health wise I’m sure we’re doing more damage to ourselves as if we worked in mines , more traffic fumes , carrying more weight , less vegetables, more time inside .

Degeneration X

The problem of comparing modern life to other eras is that it cannot capture the expectations, much reduced in earlier times, and what people perceived they needed to feel content or happy.
Of course, but for the past twenty five years or so - people don't feel they are doing as well as those who have gone before. Statistics also bear this feeling out as being based on what is a downward social mobility.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom