We’ve never had it as good

fat finger

Its way better. I couldnt have owned my own house, paid for through a mortgage I took out as a single woman, even 50 years ago, I would have needed a male signatory. Even assuming I could have earned enough by myself to qualify.

I would have been dependent on some eejit like you, cattlepest.

Modernity is so much better for women.
No
No, it's not
So you got your house by yourself
Big deal
And now you own it
And you are in it
On your own
But not as young
And not as beautiful
And this is not how you wanted it to be
The couple that buys together, stays together
Home together, building a future together
So many these days saying they love their lives
But Shakespeare reminded us that the lady, the lady doth protest too much

APettigrew92

But not that odd when you think it through. Give them circuses was the Caesars plan back in the day. Donnie gives them bullshít. More or less the same thing. Look at all the amadáns on here who swallow it whole.
What we figure to be bull excrement on here would be considered hope and meaning for those lads.

There are areas of the USA which have been plunging into economic despair for decades. Flight from the rural areas has left some towns with an average age of 45.

A lot of people bought into Thatcher and Haughey back in the rougher times - that seems absolutely unfathomable to a modern-day audience.

I guess only time will tell with the Donald. The tariff war should be interesting. An exercise in futility, they say. Well. We'll have to wait and see.

Catalpast

Yes the internet is useful but it has also contributed to obesity through people becoming couch potatoes. Television had some of that effect too but before satellite the reception was often bad especially in the British channels coming in so you couldn't always watch TV especially as RTE had this "closedown" thing with the national anthem and beautiful Irish scenery.
Clear blue skies played havoc with the signal back in the 50s and into the 70s

A nice cloudy day was best for sitting in and watching the Telly

- and not having that dreaded 'snow' ruining Tolka Row for u....:|

Dame_Enda

Obesity is one area where things are infinitely worse than say 20 yrs ago. There were few obese looking people in my secondary school. Free market ideology has fuelled this as govts refused to intervene until the recent sugar tax which is nowhere near high enough. The Telegraph tomorrow says UK considering banning sweet stands at the counter and banning cartoon characters from promoting junk food. We need that here too.

GDPR

No
No, it's not
So you got your house by yourself
Big deal
And now you own it
And you are in it
On your own
But not as young
And not as beautiful
And this is not how you wanted it to be
The couple that buys together, stays together
Home together, building a future together
So many these days saying they love their lives
But Shakespeare reminded us that the lady, the lady doth protest too much
LOL, bet you wish you could catch me. You wont. :D

ShoutingIsLeadership

I think I would like if the mobile phone could be uninvented. It must have been a wonderful freedom being uncontactable when one wanted to be.

Morgellons

I think I would like if the mobile phone could be uninvented. It must have been a wonderful freedom being uncontactable when one wanted to be.
I leave mine at home turned off when I go out. I'm the only one on the bus looking out the windows!

ShoutingIsLeadership

I leave mine at home turned off when I go out. I'm the only one on the bus looking out the windows!
The expectation from family (i.e. wife) is that I am always contactable...it's just become the norm, I guess. I like the idea of going out and having that freedom

Last edited:

Man or Mouse

What we figure to be bull excrement on here would be considered hope and meaning for those lads.

There are areas of the USA which have been plunging into economic despair for decades. Flight from the rural areas has left some towns with an average age of 45.

A lot of people bought into Thatcher and Haughey back in the rougher times - that seems absolutely unfathomable to a modern-day audience.

I guess only time will tell with the Donald. The tariff war should be interesting. An exercise in futility, they say. Well. We'll have to wait and see.
That's the great tragedy of it. That that is all they have to cling to.

GDPR

The expectation from family (i.e. wife) is that I am always connectable...it's just become the norm, I guess. I like the idea of going out and having that freedom
I stick to email, landline and mobile phone for emergencies.

There is no way anyone is going to buzz me unless I want to be buzzed.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I stick to email, landline and mobile phone for emergencies.

There is no way anyone is going to buzz me unless I want to be buzzed.
I guess also having children, I feel that I should be contactable just in case that one time...

I'd like the freedom of not having to make that decision

GDPR

I guess also having children, I feel that I should be contactable just in case that one time...

I'd like the freedom of not having to make that decision
Times change. When I was a kid, we left the house in the morning, say a Sat, on our bikes and returned at dusk, having travelled 30 miles.

Nothing ever happened to us. This was during the Troubles in NI.

APettigrew92

I often get bothered by my French friends - you'd swear those lads have to know what their children/parents have for breakfast or else they'd collapse - for being "distant" from my parents.

My parents are from the 50s/60s. Most parents of my generation would be at least a good 10 years below that and very much from a more coddling type of approach towards child rearing.

As a result, they're from a completely different cultural background regarding "checking in." I'd have a good check-in with the oulwan and the oul fella on a weekly basis. I am completely unsure what on earth I should fill the other six days with.

Not being a parent, I can't truly empathize with either method. Communication should be enriching while also being necessary or you trivialize it.

You often see parents in the Anglosphere pawning their kids - I mean barely out of the toddler phase - off by giving them iPads to satiate their completely normal energy and curiosity.

I genuinely believe that communications technology could be a source of great good in this world. Then I forget that a lot of people are just eejits.

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
Times change. When I was a kid, we left the house in the morning, say a Sat, on our bikes and returned at dusk, having travelled 30 miles.

Nothing ever happened to us. This was during the Troubles in NI.

Ah Jasus Comrade, come clean ....I thought you were all getting extra pocket money for spotting Russian subs off the coast...:rolleyes: lol

storybud1

What time in the last 500 years would be better to live in?
ehh, the 80s and 90s ? before the Euro and welfare tourism ? it definitely was safer, cleaner, less crime, less congestion, less snowflaker but the CC will cancel that one but they were on the way out anyway, no housing crisis, (welfare tourism again) and society was far less fractured,

I watched inner city scumbags pushing a pram while they were smoking a joint up to their free house for life and sub-saharans driving mercs while on the dole almost driving over a young mother and her pram from their free house for life ?

Ignore the radicals, there was great crack and no problems with housing in the 80s, sure a house would cost an e class merc and the balance of life was about socializing and living in an Island off Europe, it certainly was not about being a reception centre !! for the third world ? or a GIANT credit card payee for corrupt banks and inept politicians,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom