What a Real Opposition Leader Would Say...

Destiny's Soldier

FG has 'genuine fears' for Corporation Tax rate | BreakingNews.ie

Fine Gael will hold a Dáil vote on protecting Ireland's 12.5% Corporation Tax rate next week.

Party leader Enda Kenny has said there are "genuine fears" the Fianna Fáil/Green coalition will sacrifice the low rate as part of bailout negotiations.

He is also calling on Sinn Féin to clarify its position on Corporation Tax and state whether it will back Fine Gael's Private Members Debate on the issue.
Once again we hear lip service from lightweight Enda Kenny when it comes to hard politics.

FG says there are "genuine fears" about the Govt ceding our 12.5% etc etc...
What a load of baloney.

A real leader would reassure corporate Ireland saying that there will be a General Election within 6 months anyway, and that he as leader, would take no instructions with regard to taxation policies from the IMF the EU or anyone else. He would also advise the Austrian Finance Minister to keep his nose out of Irish internal affairs. He would state that even if the Govt gave up the 12.5%, that he as leader would return it to 12.5% if elected Taoiseach.

The IMF can be told what it can and cannot do and that is the end of that.

I also wish that Irish TD's from political parties would stop using the phrase "Our EU Partners" when they are anything but. They are our EU competitors and have shown their true colours this week.

Tomas Mor

Ah yea Kenny again. You know well if gov cave in in this it can not be reversed. And there were no confidence motions in Biffo, and in the gov only moths ago, also on W O Dea.

Last edited:

Destiny's Soldier

I also note that Eamon Gilmour finally called for a General Election today.

Fine to a point. Unfortunately he didn't want a General Election when he and Enda could have precipitated one over the past year. It is obvious that the damage is so well and truly complete by Fianna Fail, that Labour can go to the electorate knowing that they can't be blamed for undoing the Croke Park agreement if the IMF say it's a gonner.

FG & Labour did not come to the country's aid and kick out FF when it was needed.

It was left up to Sinn Fein to persue the Bye Election through the courts. It wasn't FG or Labour.

It was also only Sinn Fein (as a political party) who lead the campaign against the stinking Lisbon Treaty. At the moment I am 70% towards voting Sinn Fein in the next election. I can't believe it but I don't trust FG or Labour. Sinn Fein are economic lightweights but at least they have some element of spine and more importantly, patriotic spine.

sport02

According to David McCullough of RTE, sinn fein have explained their stance on this, and are in favour of retaining the 12.5% corporation tax for the moment.

I think this motion is futile, by the time it is brought up in the Dail next week, a decision will already have been made by the goverment.

ocoonassa

All these crooked incompetents from the dinosaur parties with the gay faction names need to leave the stage. Over the last 30 years they have wrecked the social and economic fabric of this country and the gap between the poorest and richest is bigger now than it ever was under the Gaels, the Normans or the Ascendancy.

They have delivered us all into a neo-feudal era with the banksters as our tyrants. To go and elect any of these dinosaurs is to betray the plain people of Ireland. We need direct democracy and representatives who put our good and the good of the nation before the will of lobbyists and party whips. The current incumbents of the Oireachtas can't deliver, let's have them out.

ymmek

Fine to a point. Unfortunately he didn't want a General Election when he and Enda could have precipitated one over the past year. It is obvious that the damage is so well and truly complete by Fianna Fail, that Labour can go to the electorate knowing that they can't be blamed for undoing the Croke Park agreement if the IMF say it's a gonner.

FG & Labour did not come to the country's aid and kick out FF when it was needed.

It was left up to Sinn Fein to persue the Bye Election through the courts. It wasn't FG or Labour.

It was also only Sinn Fein (as a political party) who lead the campaign against the stinking Lisbon Treaty. At the moment I am 70% towards voting Sinn Fein in the next election. I can't believe it but I don't trust FG or Labour. Sinn Fein are economic lightweights but at least they have some element of spine and more importantly, patriotic spine.
Only 70%,i would say you are closer to 100%.Just because SF took the court
case doesnt mean fg and Lab dont want an election now.How is it that you are not upset that SF saw fit to support the crazy bank bailout?

mido

and where were the seats that labour and fg had to defeat the junta-as it satnds they need three more to eject it

neiphin

what a real opposition leader would say ?

fellow citizens
i address you tonight on a very serious issue
this country is at a very serious crossroads
this country needs a general election to elect a strong stable government
to maintain some stability over the next few years (10)

i will not make you any promises, but this
its going to be tough
its going to be rough
its going to be bad

but we will do our best to protect those in tough places
we will be fair in the spread of the hardship

but fellow citizens
we know we are ************************ed, how bad god only knows

dresden8

Enda's standard performance in the Dail consists of saying.

"Taoiseach. Today. I. Am. Very. (checks notes) Angry."

Useless. Absofnckinglutely useless.

Xipe Totec

it'll be interesting to see how the elections play out.

with the incumbents patently crooks, and the mainstream alternatives (fg, labour, greens, sf) utterly pathetic, it really does expose the whole thing as charade.

would be nice to see some heterodox party/personality to take charge... or better yet for people to ignore the whole mess and take charge for themselves!

Edo

it'll be interesting to see how the elections play out.

with the incumbents patently crooks, and the mainstream alternatives (fg, labour, greens, sf) utterly pathetic, it really does expose the whole thing as charade.

would be nice to see some heterodox party/personality to take charge... or better yet for people to ignore the whole mess and take charge for themselves!
Will you do anything about it? - apart from spewing here?

Im sick to the back teeth of 99% of the population of this country whinging and waiting for somebody else to do something.

I hate to say it - but this site has denegerated into an online equivalent of a pub in the afternoon full of bar flies giving out, telling us what they would do if they ever got off their stools.......

Im a member of a political party - I got involved 6 years ago at the age of 32 - because I felt that if I didnt get involved - well then i had no right to complain.

I dont agree with everything my party stands for - but I try and change the way people in the party think about issues and influence them into changing - if more people of my generation and younger got involved in all existing political parties or started their own - things would be a lot different - its amazing how few people are involved - a political party will have you if you have a pulse........... - but you will never find a political movement with which you agree 100% - if you do - I can recommend a shrink!

But its f^ckin hard work - it takes time, commitment and patience..........

The Irish people have to start walking the walk as opposed to talking the talk - we have the lowest political participatory rate in the whole of Europe - that has to change.

so get off the fence -get off yer holes, get off the ditch, plug out the laptop and get involved.

Destiny's Soldier

and where were the seats that labour and fg had to defeat the junta-as it satnds they need three more to eject it
FG have already lined up "rebel" TD's to support the stinking incumbents forthcoming budget.

How long is it since Martin Cullen resigned? It took Sinn Fein to embarrass them into getting up off their holes.

oddsox

Destiny soldier,, you are some gobsh1te,,, a real leader would tell the country the truth,, a real leader would not invite in the IMF,,, Stop doing what biff is doing and blaming everyone else,,

hiding behind a poster

Classic FF diversion thread - another laughable attempt to blame Enda Kenny for FF screwing our country.

Last edited:

clonycavanman

A real opposition would ask:
Why are we paying a fortune in housing benefit when the country is awash with vacant housing?
Why is paying income tax a minority activity?
Why are so few people paying higher rate income tax?
Why are we providing luxury services to every special interest group who can articulate a whinge?
Why are we paying a fortune to build a new prison, when we can put a fence round a half built ghost estate, and call the next step hard labour?
Why do we supplement the wages of incompetent and cheap-skate employers with welfare benefits?
Why are we paying unemployment benefit to unemployed Slovakians, at twice the money they could earn back home by working?
Why is the 'entrepreneur' assumed to be engaged in a socially worthwhile activity?
Why do we provide 'tax incentives' to people who already have a lot of money, and who we suspect are not paying their fair share of tax at present?
Why do we have a car scrappage scheme, when we don't have a car industry?

Destiny's Soldier

Destiny soldier,, you are some gobsh1te,,, a real leader would tell the country the truth,, a real leader would not invite in the IMF,,, Stop doing what biff is doing and blaming everyone else,,
Listen, I opposed the Lisbon treaty. If you look back over my contributions since 2007, I've have consistently attacked FF policies. I do not want supine idiots running this country. I am a memeber of the party in name, becuase I want to be involved in the political process. There really is only 3 choices. Labour FG and FF. I am a member who wants to take part in poilitics and express an opinion out of moral duty. I am there to see what goes on who says what who has something intelligent to say. I like where FF sit in the political spectrum but that's it. I am essentially a ballot box Irish Republican who I hope puts the country first. I will not be voting FF in the next election.

I would vote for Enda if he were up to the job. If Libertas became a political voice in the country I would probably sit there.

I oppose foreign wars, and am socially conservative. I'm not a conservative (like Kevin Myres) who talks of human rights but favours countries like Israel who kill by assassination and steal other peoples land. Although I'm am a non believer in Bible doctrine, I support socially conservative policies such as the Family being the foundation of society.

wombat

Im a member of a political party - I got involved 6 years ago at the age of 32 - because I felt that if I didnt get involved - well then i had no right to complain..
I am quite a bit older and got involved (in the same party) after attending my godmother's funeral and hearing that as an OAP she used provide tea and sandwiches at election time because she believed that the people needed an alternative - I got off my hole and started working on a low level for change.
We are going to get some of the change we need imposed on us by a guy from India with European and U.S. backing. Unlike a lot of others, I don't feel a bit humiliated - angry at the cronyism that brought us to this situation but not humiliation because I know I had no hand or act in the actions of FF - my only regret is that I am not more persuasive in trying to convince people of the need for change. We are going to get a bailout - what are we going to do with it? We need to drop the idea that somewhere out there is a political messiah - we have to start eating the elephant of our troubles - one bite at a time.

oddsox

Listen, I opposed the Lisbon treaty. If you look back over my contributions since 2007, I've have consistently attacked FF policies. I do not want supine idiots running this country. I am a memeber of the party in name, becuase I want to be involved in the political process. There really is only 3 choices. Labour FG and FF. I am a member who wants to take part in poilitics and express an opinion out of moral duty. I am there to see what goes on who says what who has something intelligent to say. I like where FF sit in the political spectrum but that's it. I am essentially a ballot box Irish Republican who I hope puts the country first. I will not be voting FF in the next election.

I would vote for Enda if he were up to the job. If Libertas became a political voice in the country I would probably sit there.

I oppose foreign wars, and am socially conservative. I'm not a conservative (like Kevin Myres) who talks of human rights but favours countries like Israel who kill by assassination and steal other peoples land. Although I'm am a non believer in Bible doctrine, I support socially conservative policies such as the Family being the foundation of society.
You can contribute. you can at the next ff convention elect someone with a brain to run in the next election

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies