What about "Libertas"

Superindigoman

Just noticed "Libertas" have'nt been mentioned, you know the ones telling us no to Europe and who we're made out to be mad, stupid and did'nt know what they were talking about, no one supported them!
My question; Where they right all along?

Fenian Óg

I've seen them mentioned a few times. Mainly in relation to Declan Ganley maybe running in Galway East.

Run_to_da_hills

There was a lot of truth in the Libertas campaign.

While the YES campaign had an false optimistic picture of the EU with promises of more jobs, stability, better economy etc The NO campaigners were much more realistic.

They pictured Ireland losing control, loss of democracy, and jobs etc. This is the reality, getting worse day by day. The EU could not give two sh*ts about Irelands welfare at the moment, this can be seen by the T&C of the recent bail out.

The YES campaigners were the real liars in the Lisbon Referendum.

PAD1OH

i would like to know how the Lisbon vote caused the banking crises, property crash, poor regulatory system, ineffectual leadership, dysfunctional coalition,

lonemother

Lisbon,next on the list. Licks lips. yum.

Run_to_da_hills

i would like to know how the Lisbon vote caused the banking crises, property crash, poor regulatory system, ineffectual leadership, dysfunctional coalition,
Europe should have had proper regulation over the foreign banks / ECB lending to this country;s banks during the boom here.

It was inevitable that it would burst and they kept on flooding the country with cheap low interest loans encouraging people to borrow.

This is the same committee that allowed the country to borrow so much and then have the audacity to demand it back at exorbitant cost that could well brake the back of our nation.

hiding behind a poster

Well none of this is a consequence of the Lisbon Treaty being ratified, so I don't know what your point is.

hiding behind a poster

Europe should have had proper regulation over the foreign banks / ECB lending to this country;s banks during the boom here.
Yeah, right. What was to stop us regulating our own banks? Anyway, we all know that if the EU or ECB had tried to strengthen financial regulation, all the people on here telling us this is all the EU's fault would have been howling about the loss of sovereignty it would have entailed.

It was inevitable that it would burst and they kept on flooding the country with cheap low interest loans encouraging people to borrow.

This is the same committee that allowed the country to borrow so much and then have the audacity to demand it back at exorbitant cost that could well brake the back of our nation.
Have they? In what way are they breaching the terms under which the money was lent?

evercloserunion

Yes. More power to the EU. Give them responsibility over every area of our domestic policy. You'd love that right?

When the EU tries to take responsibility, it is criticised. When it leaves responsibility to member states, it is criticised. Euroskeptics don't know what they want.

Bobert

Yes. More power to the EU. Give them responsibility over every area of our domestic policy. You'd love that right?

When the EU tries to take responsibility, it is criticised. When it leaves responsibility to member states, it is criticised. Euroskeptics don't know what they want.
I've not seen you in yonks. :)

As for the last sentence... Cop on. Euroscepticism is about less Europe in our daily lives. Yes to the free trade/movement and less of the stupid regulations and influence over decisions that ought to be made by nations.

hiding behind a poster

As for the last sentence... Cop on. Euroscepticism is about less Europe in our daily lives. Yes to the free trade/movement and less of the stupid regulations and influence over decisions that ought to be made by nations.
You mean like financial regulation?

Bobert

You mean like financial regulation?
Amongst other things, yes. And don't give me any of your FG claptrap about how we hadn't any regulation and that's why we're in this mess. We're in this mess because of cheap credit and a clique of bankers, politicians and builders who created a bubble.

Padraigin

Well none of this is a consequence of the Lisbon Treaty being ratified, so I don't know what your point is.

The point is that the current crisis has revealed exactly what the EU reallly is - an empire.

The EU is a new empire very similar to the old ones. It issues imperial decrees and demands compliance from subjugated states.

Sound familiar?

If anybody should be able to recognize an empire when it feels the imperial jackboot, it should be the Irish.

Passer-by

Free trade/movement involves a lot of "stupid regulations" and influence over decisions.

British Eurosceptics - to give them some credit - are prepared to abandon the free trade/movement aspects of the EU in their hurry to leave the EU.

Sadly, our domestic Eurosceptics tend to spend their time criticising the EU for NOT interfering in our domestic governance one minute and, then a minute later, criticise it for interfering.

Bobert

Free trade/movement involves a lot of "stupid regulations" and influence over decisions.
No, it doesn't.

British Eurosceptics - to give them some credit - are prepared to abandon the free trade/movement aspects of the EU in their hurry to leave the EU.
That's just UKIP and the BNP though. Dan Hannon is my kind of sceptic.

Sadly, our domestic Eurosceptics tend to spend their time criticising the EU for NOT interfering in our domestic governance one minute and, then a minute later, criticise it for interfering.
Not largely so but in some cases it's true.

Bleu Poppy

Amongst other things, yes. don't give me any of your FG claptrap about how and that's why we're in this mess.

We're in this mess because of cheap credit and a clique of bankers, politicians and builders who created a bubble. And we hadn't any regulation
I've fixed that for you. Dreadful the way in which snetences and syntax fall completely oun of sync at this hour of he morning [sic].

And the reason why we didn't have any regulation... because certain parties (including builders, politicians and, indeed, bankers) would meet up with each other in a certain tent, at a certain racetrack, at a certain horse-racing festival, outside a certain city on a frequent basis.

evercloserunion

I've fixed that for you. Dreadful the way in which snetences and syntax fall completely oun of sync at this hour of he morning [sic].

And the reason why we didn't have any regulation... because certain parties (including builders, politicians and, indeed, bankers) would meet up with each other in a certain tent, at a certain racetrack, at a certain horse-racing festival, outside a certain city on a frequent basis.
A tent formerly frequented, as it happens, by one Declan Ganley!

cramer

Lisbon passed or not has little or no effect on the crisis.
Look what happened:
1. One week, day by day, Cowen claims no bailout is needed
2. Some guys from Brussels arrive
3. Suddenly Cowen changes his mind. Clearly he was presented with "arguments" no to be rejected.

New Threads

Most Replies