What are the great national myths?

General Urko

My fellow p.iesters. I would love to hear what you feel are the great national myths that we believe in or tend to believe, which are usually by and large nonsense.
Oh and BTW I'm not talking about The Finn MaCool and Cú Culainn variety!
As a nation that tends to love bullshítters over doers, we certainly seem to have a few.

1 The most sickening one to me is that we are a classless society, essentially all in the madhouse rubbing our arses together! I find that we are quite a vicious class conscious society with not great social mobility. A mate of mine a proud self declared capitalist who inherited a house told me I use to believe there were class issues here and then I saw Dolores O'Riordain and Frank McCourt make through the sheer high level of their talents! What absolute bullshyza (mind you they are/were talented people). I strongly believe the economic circumstances you are born into in this country will almost certainly be the primary determinant of how far you will advance in it! Case in point, there was a doc on the beeb recently - Will Britain Ever Have A Black PM? The presenter visited a hospital, where in England, where a refugee couple from Somalia had a son, the father said he hoped that child would become a doctor. A working class boy born the exact same day in an Irish Hospital, would actually probably have far less of a chance of becoming a doctor, having to go through the Irish education system. Indeed, the son of the Somali Refugees may well have a better chance of becoming UK PM, than a working class Irish boy has of becoming a doctor in Ireland!

2 We are Republicans, who want a United Ireland. Again bullshyza that has not been thought through! BTW the way in which CNR refugees who came South post the pogroms in the late 60s in Nordieland was apparently appaling!

3 Irish is the national language with over a million speakers. While I agree that it should be the primary constitutional language of the state and supported to the last, the way it has been taught must rank as the greatest failure/scandal in the history of education in the western world!

4 We have a public service striving to do its best. Well TBH while there are exceptions, the term 'Irish Public Servant' has got to be a completely contradictory term on par with 'Mountjoy' or that little kip of a street near Anfield, 'Little Vienna'.

5 We are a rich country! Nonsense wrt The BMW region!

6 We were just the victims of colonialism and never collaboraed with it! While we were victims, there were many collaborators! I don't have to look any further than my own city, Galway. Essentially back in the day largely an anti republican town, with The Renmore garissoned, Connaught Rangers (who also supplied many Black and Tans), were constantly acting the bollex out in India, keeping the natives in check. The traditional real Galwegian part of Galway, The Claddagh, supplied many sailors to the British Navy.

7 Ireland was a Catholic Theocratic State, yes it was a theocratic state, but Catholic? Italy and France are nominally Catholic, but they were absolutely nothing like us in the Twentieth Century. We were a Jansenist Theocratic State, which is heretical within Catholic theology!

Last edited:

Dearghoul

Well you've covered a lot of ground there already.

Does anyone maintain there exists in Ireland a 'classless society' though?

If they do, they're barking, it's oligarchical.

between the bridges

The utopian UI...

General Urko

Well you've covered a lot of ground there already.

Does anyone maintain there exists in Ireland a 'classless society' though?

If they do, they're barking, it's oligarchical.
A lot of people seem to think we are a classless society, by and large people who are genuinely from middle class backgrounds!
There seems to be a real lack of understanding of what 'class' actually means.
In self declared polls, around 2/3 of Irish People claim to be 'middle class', interestingly in Nordieland 2/3 of people claim to be working class, which is a truer reflection of the reality in a regular society, not that you can ever dream of calling Nordieland such!

PBP voter

No society can be classless. Even if everybody is paid the same.

The County Engineer will always be the boss of the guy cleaning the drains. Even if they are paid the same it's the establishment of a class system.

Some people will behave in a classy way. Others wont. We create our own class system really.

GDPR

The great myths are always a mythtery.

Mythunderstandings abound.

However modern dentistry has some very good solutions.

General Urko

The utopian UI...
Indeed, all our problems will be over once this absolute inevitability comes to pass!:rolleyes:
Fortunately, there will be enough Unionist Táigs to stop it happening!:cool:

between the bridges

One Moi can confirm as true is that Orangies have huge wangers...

PBP voter

A lot of people seem to think we are a classless society, by and large people who are genuinely from middle class backgrounds!
There seems to be a real lack of understanding of what 'class' actually means.
In self declared polls, around 2/3 of Irish People claim to be 'middle class', interestingly in Nordieland 2/3 of people claim to be working class, which is a truer reflection of the reality in a regular society, not that you can ever dream of calling Nordieland such!
Professionals are the new underclass if it only about money.

Bricklayers earn more than architects

But clearly it's not.

General Urko

One Moi can confirm as true is that Orangies have huge wangers...
I reckon PUL Nordies have as many sexual hangups as Southern Táigs and that's really saying something!:cool:

Gin Soaked

Point 6 is a real doozy. From the lack of support amongst the general public in the immediate aftermath of the rising to the "castle Catholics" , etc. lots did really well or were happy enough with being part of Britain, even if that demanded an element of Doublethink and mental reservation.

Said without irony vis a vis my blueshirt leanings. It is what it is, and there are lots of it about. also aligns to point 2.

Dearghoul

The County Engineer will always be the boss of the guy cleaning the drains. Even if they are paid the same it's the establishment of a class system.

Some people will behave in a classy way. Others wont. We create our own class system really.
The County Engineer is 'Technical', in Local Government terms, and the drain cleaner is 'administrative', so no, he's not his boss.

The confusion between these aspects of LG is widespread, and significant.

General Urko

Professionals are the new underclass if it only about money.

Bricklayers earn more than architects

But clearly it's not.
My old maths teacher told me his 2 brother in laws were engineers and during the boom, it was impossible for them to find work, I think they may have been living in Donegal so they retrained as brickies and coined it!

General Urko

Something which might be of interest both The Chinese Army and Albanian One tried to abolish ranks! AFAIK it didn't work!petunia

T

Toowoomba

My old maths teacher told me his 2 brother in laws were engineers and during the boom, it was impossible for them to find work, I think they may have been living in Donegal so they retrained as brickies and coined it!

Then there was the Donegal "Engineer" who became a financial wizard overnight and darling of the Bondholders.

General Urko

Interestingly, nobody has challenged me yet on my 7 myths!petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies