What are you reading at the moment?

Fritzbox

Wow , thats a blast from the past ...Alistair Maclean was my bridge from the childrens section in Easons and the likes of Hardy Boys and Three Investigators into the other parts of Easons

I think i read the Satan Bug first ....must revisit to see what I think now

Jeez had almost forgotten him completely
I was more of a Craig Thomas man myself.

tipp revolution

Mythos by Stephen Fry on Audible. The greeks were the bhoys no doubt, and they did the bhoys too - did anything that moved really. Great stories - fairy tales for teenagers. So many of the characters names have passed into our language its insane. Finally read it to raise a large middle finger to the repressed nuns/brothers and churches that taught us.

Dorcha

"Ambush of Young Day" by Alison Uttley. Having seen it in the juvenile section of the library when I was a young fellow and dismissed it as boring, I decided to hunt it down as I always liked the title. As reminisces it's pretty humdrum. Waste of a very good title.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
For those who missed it: a superb Twitter thread from @OrkneyLibrary —

So over the last few months kids keep coming into the library asking if we have any books about this thing FORTNITE. We don't and I'd never heard of it so I tried asking what it was.
Is it a film? No. A cartoon? No. An game, like Pokemon or something? Yeah kinda. Nobody could tell me what all the fuss was about.

Then today a man came in to borrow some Lee Child books and he had his son with him. It said #Fortnite on his T-shirt.
While his Dad looked through our Lee Child books (he was a huge fan so he was re-reading the series) I asked the boy to explain Fortnite to me.

And he did. He told me all about it. He taught me what nobody else had been able to teach me. And now I know two things.
The only boy who could ever teach me, was the son of a Reacher fan.

PAGE61

What fresh lunacy is this..bio of Oliver reed.. while commuting
Chekhov short stories...as i have never read him
11/12/63 ,Steven king ..Kennedy assassination and time travel fiction
The last sultan, the life and times of Ahmett Ertegun . founder of atlantic records , bed time read

corporal punishment

Wow , thats a blast from the past ...Alistair Maclean was my bridge from the childrens section in Easons and the likes of Hardy Boys and Three Investigators into the other parts of Easons

I think i read the Satan Bug first ....must revisit to see what I think now

Jeez had almost forgotten him completely
I vaguely remember reading Ice station Zebra years ago so when I spotted this one I picked it up. I'm glad I did. a bit bleak but a good read.

Catalpast

Dipping into this on the side as well:

The Blair Years: Extracts from the Alastair Campbell Diaries
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blair-Years-Extracts-Alastair-Campbell/dp/0099514753

Day to day account written up at the time by the Prince of Spin himself!

Blair is a decent chap but a ditherer and a worry merchant over what the Papers might say...

- I Allister sorted it all out for him....:cool:

gooner

What fresh lunacy is this..bio of Oliver reed.. while commuting
Chekhov short stories...as i have never read him
11/12/63 ,Steven king ..Kennedy assassination and time travel fiction
The last sultan, the life and times of Ahmett Ertegun . founder of atlantic records , bed time read
Good read. The TV series of it with James Franco was a decent watch too.

Just finished Conor Curran's, Irish Soccer Migrants - A Social and Cultural History.

I now have Steve Coll's Directorate S....

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/529288/directorate-s-by-steve-coll/9781594204586/

....and Ali Soufans' Anatomy of Terror next to read.

Anatomy of Terror | W. W. Norton & Company

Ardillaun

My Lord, I'm so far behind on my reading, I'll need another lifetime to catch up: finally finished Moby Dick, well worth the voyage; nearly done with The Colour of Magic, the first in the Discworld series and great fun; dipping into Fry's Mythos; and have just broken ground on Independent People where our own beloved Colmcille becomes the evil Kolumkilli, an 'Irish sorcerer of wide repute' in the mind of an Icelandic sheep farmer who has a weakness for poetry.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

I'm reading the war memoires of John Stevens, and English Jacobite in Ireland during the Williamite War.

Golah veNekhar

I am reading this at the moment, it is pretty brilliant:

I am also reading the below which has really confirmed for me just how much mysticism in Rabbinic Judaism is basically an adaption of Shia Islamic mysticism. I suspect that this is the reason that the Zionists are so keen to destroy the Shia world. The author is a brilliant Jewish academic who was basically driven out of Palestine by Jews similar to roc and Speedfreak. When dumb Goyim suck up to Judaeo-Nazis they are in fact aiding the Judaeo-Nazi oppression of decent Jews as much as anything else.

https://www.academia.edu/6232006/Gods_Chosen_People_Judah_Halevi_s_Kuzari_and_the_Sh%C4%AB%CA%BB%C4%AB_Im%C4%81m_Doctrine_Turnhout_Brepoles_2014_

Amazon.com: God's Chosen People: Judah Halevi's Kuzari and the Shi'i Imam Doctrine (Cultural Encounters in Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages) (9782503543963): Ehud Krinis, Ann Brener, Tamar Liza Cohen: Books

between the bridges

The Black Prince: The King That Never Was

As a child he was given his own suit of armour; in 1346, at the age of 16 he helped defeat the French at Crécy; and in 1356 he captured the king of France at Poitiers. For the chronicler Jean Froissart 'He was the flower of all chivalry'; for the Chandos Herald, who fought with him on all his campaigns, he was the embodiment of all valour'. Edward of Woodstock, eldest son and heir of Edward III of England, better known as 'the Black Prince', was England's pre-eminent military leader during the first phase of the Hundred Years War.

former wesleyan

Ian Thompsons biography of Primo Levi. Great insight into fascism and its aftermath in Italy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies