• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What are you reading right now?

evercloserunion

As the title says. thought it might be an interesting thread to make. What are you reading right now?

I just bough Upton Sinclair's Oil! on which There Will Be Blood is apparently loosely based. I probably shouldn't be reading anything but cases and textbooks right now, but the story (per the back of the book) seemed quite intriguing.

johnfás

Right now, reading McMahon and Binchy Irish Law of Torts. Have the latest Grisham novel beside my bed but no time to get into it currently :(.

evercloserunion

Right now, reading McMahon and Binchy Irish Law of Torts.
Ah now, you're just saying that to spite me :p It's actually the only book I brought home with me for mid-term, hoping to catch up on the copious amount of Torts I missed. I've opened it like once.

fergalr

johnfás said:
Right now, reading McMahon and Binchy Irish Law of Torts. Have the latest Grisham novel beside my bed but no time to get into it currently :(.
Ah the Bible.. got to go through its hallowed pages this morning :? Ugh, right now I have work and this page open, and The Economist beside me which will eventually get opened because I paid a fiver for the bloody thing.

The Red Rose of Cork

fergalr said:
johnfás said:
Ah the Bible.. got to go through its hallowed pages this morning :? Ugh, right now I have work and this page open, and The Economist beside me which will eventually get opened because I paid a fiver for the bloody thing.
you can get it delivered to your door for €85 for the whole year ! only downside is that it usually arrives on Monday and once or twice a year does it actually make it on a Friday

Ard-Taoiseach

fergalr said:
johnfás said:
:lol:

I'm a subscriber and we pay less than €1.50 per issue for the thing! And we get online access to articles back to 1997 as well, unlike plebs like you! :D

Ich bin Lesung Vaterland von Robert Harris jetzt. Sehr gut.

Ard-Taoiseach

The Red Rose of Cork said:
fergalr said:
[quote="johnfás":3tk4aa4w]Right now, reading McMahon and Binchy Irish Law of Torts. Have the latest Grisham novel beside my bed but no time to get into it currently :(.
you can get it delivered to your door for €85 for the whole year ! only downside is that it usually arrives on Monday and once or twice a year does it actually make it on a Friday[/quote:3tk4aa4w]

Ah but you can read it virtually on the website. Tis cracking stuff.

stannis

Christ on a bike, AT... where did you learn German grammar like that? :lol:

Jetzt lese ich Vaterland von Richard Harris. ;)

Ard-Taoiseach

stannis said:
Christ on a bike, AT... where do you learn German grammar like that? :lol:

Jetzt lese ich Vaterland von Richard Harris. ;)
That's the one!

stannis

Kein Problem :)

I finished reading Stephen King's The Tommyknockers recently. Before that was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Catalpa

Finished Diarmaid Ferriter's Dev as of last Friday.

Up to page 804 of Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilization + reached half way point in Orpen's Ireland under the Normans as of last weekend.

Flicking through Steven Moore's The Irish on The Somme in between.

Ard-Taoiseach

stannis said:
Kein Problem :)

I finished reading Stephen King's The Tommyknockers recently. Before that was The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak.
Danke schoen!

fergalr

Ard-Taoiseach said:
I've read that, and his surreal one "Archangel" and if he's the one that wrote the weird EU federal state one with all the clones, then I've read that one too. He's odd.

johnfás

Ard-Taoiseach said:
[quote="The Red Rose of Cork":3nia82bc]
fergalr said:
[quote="johnfás":3nia82bc]Right now, reading McMahon and Binchy Irish Law of Torts. Have the latest Grisham novel beside my bed but no time to get into it currently :(.
you can get it delivered to your door for €85 for the whole year ! only downside is that it usually arrives on Monday and once or twice a year does it actually make it on a Friday[/quote:3nia82bc]

Ah but you can read it virtually on the website. Tis cracking stuff.[/quote:3nia82bc]

I'm often tempted to subsrcibe to the Economist as I buy it fairly frequently. It is more than 85 euro though, it is around 125 I think. TIME is around 85. That is so far as I remember anyway. I've access to whole Economist website :D.

Ard-Taoiseach

fergalr said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
I've read that, and his surreal one "Archangel" and if he's the one that wrote the weird EU federal state one with all the clones, then I've read that one too. He's odd.
I've read Imperium and Pompeii by the same man. Cracking read, he's the master of the literary thriller. Even though I knew the history of Cicero at the out-set, Harris successfully created a sense of excitement in Imperium. A great political/historical novel.

imokyrok

Just finished Christine Falls by Benjamin Black (John Banville). Terrific characterisation and intend to buy his next one soon.
Currently half way through Nature Via Nurture: Genes, Experience, and What Makes Us Human by Matt Ridley,also The Devils Chaplain by Richard Dawkins. Re-reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins as the mood takes me.

It's brilliant to be able to read whatever and whenever - I don't envy you guys stuck to your text books. I'd a big problem in college of allowing my reading habits to take me away from what I should have been studying! Stay disciplined - it won't be forever.

fergalr

Catalpa said:
Finished Diarmaid Ferriter's Dev as of last Friday.

Up to page 804 of Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilization + reached half way point in Orpen's Ireland under the Normans as of last weekend.

Flicking through Steven Moore's The Irish on The Somme in between.
Ah, Fisk's cheerful little tome :p Read that on holiday last January.. of all books! I think I may have outclassed all the other people on the beach with their Patricia Scanlons.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies