What are you willing to put up with to reintroduce Irish as the first language?

jackdonny9876

I just watched this video by An Páirtí Náisiúnta

[video=youtube;CQjB-6kSZtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjB-6kSZtk[/video]

They make some interesting points one of them being that how far the language can be restored is up to what the Irish people are willing to put up with.
Me personally would be delighted if english became illegal (punished by jailtime and fines) and we all had to learn Irish but clearly I would be a small minority with that view. Would you be okay with there being only Irish street names? only Irish signs? only Irish news reports? only Irish gouvernment forms? just like they did in Israel to restore Hebrew. I would definitely be but I'm sure they will be those here who will base their values on materialistic objects (we won't do as much business with America, our gpp will go down by .005 percent, it would be better if we learned Mandarin, it would be the e,d of the world!!!).

Remember that Irish did not leave our mother tongues by nature but by gouvernments bent on destroying it by any means necessary, restoring it would only come from radical change

ellie08

I just watched this video by An Páirtí Náisiúnta

[video=youtube;CQjB-6kSZtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjB-6kSZtk[/video]

They make some interesting points one of them being that how far the language can be restored is up to what the Irish people are willing to put up with.
Me personally would be delighted if english became illegal (punished by jailtime and fines) and we all had to learn Irish but clearly I would be a small minority with that view. Would you be okay with there being only Irish street names? only Irish signs? only Irish news reports? only Irish gouvernment forms? just like they did in Israel to restore Hebrew. I would definitely be but I'm sure they will be those here who will base their values on materialistic objects (we won't do as much business with America, our gpp will go down by .005 percent, it would be better if we learned Mandarin, it would be the e,d of the world!!!).

Remember that Irish did not leave our mother tongues by nature but by gouvernments bent on destroying it by any means necessary, restoring it would only come from radical change
And for what purpose? What good would it do us?

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
The Irony of a political movement telling us to speak Irish and delivering the message to us in English.

Fcking idiots.

Stop watching rubbish like the NP, and if you have a problem with speaking English bugger off to the Irish section and speak Gaelic all you want.

Lord Talbot

Irish Gaelic will never be the first spoken language again. Ever.

jackdonny9876

Irish Gaelic will never be the first spoken language again. Ever.
only 2 hundred years ago it was the first language in Ireland. Hebrew was a completely dead language not long ago in a far worse state than Irish today and now it's the first language of Israel, we could follow a plan similar to that the jews did.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
only 2 hundred years ago it was the first language in Ireland. Hebrew was a completely dead language not long ago in a far worse state than Irish today and now it's the first language of Israel, we could follow a plan similar to that the jews did.
200 years ago nobody spoke modern English, no one is advocating going back 200 hundred years and learning old English as a first language.

jackdonny9876

The Irony of a political movement telling us to speak Irish and delivering the message to us in English.

Fcking idiots.

Stop watching rubbish like the NP, and if you have a problem with speaking English bugger off to the Irish section and speak Gaelic all you want.
All political parties have videos in English on their channel about the Irish language. Would you comment more on their points and substance of the video than simply dismissing it with ad hominems

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Irish isn't even the 2nd most spoken language of the country anymore, we should stop wasting Billions on it and teach kids Mandarin. In would be far more beneficial to them.

Nitrogen

Well that's not quite right is it?

Culture is a curious and unique feature of human nature.
Culture is dynamic. It is this propensity for cultural evolution which makes our species so different to all the others.

So whereas the cultural change which was the shift from Irish to English as the working language of most of this island may have been an adaptation to the shifting economic circumstances of the time, that's just how human societies work, and always have done.

Nothing unnatural there at all.

Next

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
All political parties have videos in English on their channel about the Irish language. Would you comment more on their points and substance of the video than simply dismissing it with ad hominems
If people want to speak Irish let them, but telling us to speak Irish whilst delivering the message in English is pathetic. It demonstrates that most people don't want to speak Irish if the message had to be delivered in English.

GDPR

I think the idea of giving extra votes to people who speak Irish fluently would be a brilliant first step.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies