• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What Causes A Man To Kill His Entire Family?

Radix

The utterly devastating news coming from Ballyjamesduff about a reported 'murder-suicide' just makes me want to cry. That a Dad would literally slay his wife and his three children, (ranging in age from a mere 6 years old) is almost incomprehensible to any mind.

Knowing that no event of any kind happens in isolation without some kind of reason, I ask myself, why? And I ask myself, how did no one see this coming?

Could it be that we have a cultural problem in Ireland that we haven't yet fully recognised and diagnosed?

Details of Suspected Cavan Family Murder Suicide have Been Revealed - RSVP Magazine

Live updates as tributes paid to two teachers and three children who died in murder-suicide at house in Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan - Irish Mirror Online

commonman

You are going to have all the nuts on giving there opinion, not a good idea, but its your right to put a post up , its very sad news from cavan.

derryman

Is it established that the father done it.
I remember a couple of cases like this happen in Australia.

My heart breaks for the grandparents.

ruserious

Something unsavoury about the timing of OP.

Dame_Enda

It is a tragedy and I give my condolences.

I think the romanticisation of murder-suicide in some elements of the media and the Church doesnt help matters. People do care how they will be remembered. If they thought they would be condemned for killing the children or spouse they mightnt do it as much.

I have been frustrated with how the Irish media tend to "understand" crime too much and criticise the criminals too little. Joseph Goebbels had a murder-suicide too.

between the bridges

Terrible. As for the 'why?' no matter what the reason I wouldn't understand it and hope I never do.

michael-mcivor

Why is it that some want to take their family's out before they go out themselves- truly tragic for the innocents who were murdered- no sympathy should be shown to the killer- RIP the innocent youth-

derryman

It is a tragedy and I give my condolences.

I think the romanticisation of murder-suicide in some elements of the media and the Church doesnt help matters. People do care how they will be remembered. If they thought they would be condemned for killing the children or spouse they mightnt do it as much.

I have been frustrated with how the Irish media tend to "understand" crime too much and criticise the criminals too little.
I think you may have some insight there in regard to suicide, not sure about the murder part.

gerhard dengler

The utterly devastating news coming from Ballyjamesduff about a reported 'murder-suicide' just makes me want to cry. That a Dad would literally slay his wife and his three children, (ranging in age from a mere 6 years old) is almost incomprehensible to any mind.

Knowing that no event of any kind happens in isolation without some kind of reason, I ask myself, why? And I ask myself, how did no one see this coming?

Could it be that we have a cultural problem in Ireland that we haven't yet fully recognised and diagnosed?

Details of Suspected Cavan Family Murder Suicide have Been Revealed - RSVP Magazine

Live updates as tributes paid to two teachers and three children who died in murder-suicide at house in Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan - Irish Mirror Online
What a terrible terrible tragedy.

In a direct answer to your question, I don't know why people do this to themselves and their loved one.
Despair?
Some sort of mental break down?

Whatever is the catalyst for this sort of behaviour, the victims of this behaviour did not deserve their fate.

Karloff

The murder suicide seems more common than normal in rural Ireland.

parentheses

When did this awful phenomenon begin in Ireland?

Edit. I see FW has partly answered the question.

asset test

Poor victims, especially the little boys. Hard to imagine the horrible deaths of children at a parent's hand.

And the husband or the wife, we don't know yet who did what.

Awful stuff.

Something selfish about taking everyone out with you if you want to go yourself. We will never know though will we?

Dame_Enda

The murder suicide seems more common than normal in rural Ireland.
Probably the lack of investment there is a factor. The govt should encourage work from home through e-commerce, which includes rural broadband.

I had a sometimes violent father (towards me not my mother) and if he had killed us and himself I personally would not want to be buried beside him.

The Field Marshal

Something unsavoury about the timing of OP.
Why?

It is a dreadful horror story summing up an aspect of Irish society that many people want to keep quiet.

former wesleyan

When did this awful phenomenon begin in Ireland?

See my IT link above.

As for the " why " the two cases I know of - neither in Ireland - involved the " we're all going to a better place " syndrome. Depression usually the cause.

midlander12

Too much emphasis in the coverage on the word 'tragedy', too little on the word 'murder', or indeed mass murder. This was not a car crash or a fire, although from some of the coverage you might be forgiven for getting confused. This has happened quite a few times now in this country, and there remains the same tendency to treat it like it was a family tragedy rather than a deliberate act of one individual who then chooses to end their own lives rather than face the consequences.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies