What could possibly go wrong with public servants working 'til they're 70?

Disillusioned democrat

In the social sciences, unintended consequences are outcomes that are not the ones foreseen and intended by a purposeful action.

From next year all public servants will be allowed to work until they're 70.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/all-public-servants-can-retire-at-70-from-next-year-36384643.html

They will be able to retire when they qualify (which depends on when they started working, what kind of contract they're on and whether they have accrued added years, etc.) but now MAY work until they're 70.

I assume the intended outcome is that gov.ie reduces the outgoings on pensions as employees defer they're leaving dates - all reasonable and laudable.

I can see a few problems, though - effectively the law of unintended consequences...starting with the top jobs being clogged up by 65 - 70 year olds just putting in time to build a bigger nest egg for retirement without the interest or energy to do the job well...they'll be untouchable because the government won't be able to address performance issues for fear of being seen as ageist.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Having pulled up the ladder now they wish to build an extension to it at the top.

Politics matters

We will all be working well in to our 70's.

If only the private sector was encouraged/forced to allow employees work until their employees are entitled to the state pension.

Disillusioned democrat

We will all be working well in to our 70's.

If only the private sector was encouraged/forced to allow employees work until their employees are entitled to the state pension.
The private sector has a track record of performance management to make sure people are able to do the job they're paid to do. The public sector isn't that far advanced and is only slowly getting there and traditionally the older employees in the public sector are the more senior and better paid.

I would be concerned that between the ages of 65 and 70 a senior public servant has nothing to prove, no real motivation, is already entitled to their full pension but are just putting in the time in to keep earning during semi-retirement

Barroso

In the social sciences, unintended consequences are outcomes that are not the ones foreseen and intended by a purposeful action.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/all-public-servants-can-retire-at-70-from-next-year-36384643.html

They will be able to retire when they qualify (which depends on when they started working, what kind of contract they're on and whether they have accrued added years, etc.) but now MAY work until they're 70.

I assume the intended outcome is that gov.ie reduces the outgoings on pensions as employees defer they're leaving dates - all reasonable and laudable.

I can see a few problems, though - effectively the law of unintended consequences...starting with the top jobs being clogged up by 65 - 70 year olds just putting in time to build a bigger nest egg for retirement without the interest or energy to do the job well...they'll be untouchable because the government won't be able to address performance issues for fear of being seen as ageist.
And many of these people are the sort who are more interested in "being important" than in doing their job.

Expect to see lots of retirements/moves to the private sector in sections with serious internal issues.
The people who will leave are of course the more capable, leaving the PS even more mediocre than at present.

General Urko

One of the things that seriously needs to be tackled is low level corruption which is regarded or allowed as a 'perk' of the job!
Tonight, I saw a gobshyte in a large LA Van, after doing his shopping in a supermarket and driving home in that van, all the fuel and associated motoring expenses of course paid for by us!
They should be forced to park those vehicles in council car parks onsite!
Also the parking perks, public servants get, including the lifelong free parking in Leinster House for anybody who has ever been an elected rep there, needs to be stopped
immediately!
And the bull shyza of disappointment money for failed politicians and the tax free lump sums on retirement for public sector clowns, how about just ending the lump sums!

Notachipanoaktree

Wow. Just how stupid can Public and Civil servants be. How stupid can the paymaster be?

70 seriously?

Clearly no competition from young bucks in the P&CS. WTF are they all doing?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Can you imagine doing the annual review with objectives and so on for someone at the age of 66 or 67.

'Development and Training' section would be interesting.

How about Advanced Microsoft Excel training, John?

'Yerrah shagoff.'

fifilawe

Parkinson's,Alzheimer's, Dementia, loss of hearing, Rheumatism, Type 2 diabetes, ........if you can think of any other infirmities brought on by age just add to the list.
Two of my brothers have Parkinson's both diagnosed before age 55.

venusian

Now that you mention pensions civil servants will be effectively penalised by the tax man if they work beyond normal retirement age. they will still be paying additional PRSI but have no pension increase for the extra years of paying.

Uganda

Now that you mention pensions civil servants will be effectively penalised by the tax man if they work beyond normal retirement age. they will still be paying additional PRSI but have no pension increase for the extra years of paying.
PRSI is not payable over the age of 66.

Notachipanoaktree

To Whom It May Concern.

The rates of pay for P&CS gobsh*ites who work beyond 65 are so low as to constitute slave labour. That's me pointing that out. The one who knows the P&CS are a shower of money grabbing scammers with sidekick politicians. Makes no sense to stay on at all, except for those who cannot disconnect (most of them).

It's just another Irish P&CS, with politician sidekick, scam without rhyme or reason.

Pizza Man

Why is it that I have a notion of a 68 year old garda using a bus pass to chase after a gurrier
Might it be because your head is so far up your arse that you didn't bother to read the linked article?

The new rules will not apply to frontline workers including gardai and firefighters who are on fast-track pension schemes, and can retire in their 50s on full pensions.

Buchaill Dana

The private sector has a track record of performance management to make sure people are able to do the job they're paid to do. The public sector isn't that far advanced and is only slowly getting there and traditionally the older employees in the public sector are the more senior and better paid.

I would be concerned that between the ages of 65 and 70 a senior public servant has nothing to prove, no real motivation, is already entitled to their full pension but are just putting in the time in to keep earning during semi-retirement
Having worked in both, im not sure thats true. Some public sector is far more dynamic than the private.

It also depends on the role. Judges can work till they are aged. Not so much infantry. Its not that simple

Buchaill Dana

To Whom It May Concern.

The rates of pay for P&CS gobsh*ites who work beyond 65 are so low as to constitute slave labour. That's me pointing that out. The one who knows the P&CS are a shower of money grabbing scammers with sidekick politicians. Makes no sense to stay on at all, except for those who cannot disconnect (most of them).

It's just another Irish P&CS, with politician sidekick, scam without rhyme or reason.
Bulls1t

automaticforthepeople

Might it be because your head is so far up your arse that you didn't bother to read the linked article?

The new rules will not apply to frontline workers including gardai and firefighters who are on fast-track pension schemes, and can retire in their 50s on full pensions.
So glad you used your bus pass to find my head! Thank you for sharing that with us all. I presume so you aren't a fire fighter or an EMT who will be able to find their way to where their services might be needed using a bus pass if they are 67 or older?

midlander12

Actually they also go back onto the lowest point on their salary scale. In fact, when you take tax into account, many would be working for little more than they would get on their pensions. I suspect this policy is just another political correct sop to the increasing anti-ageism lobby, but one not intended to be actually availed of.

Personally I think anyone working past 65 is madness. 40-plus years in the workforce (or more if you start working at 17/18) is quite long enough. Having dealt with an individual through work who was aged 70 and still working, I would also frankly have concerns about impaired skills at that stage. I realise this varies from person to person.

cricket

I've had experience of both private and public employment and anyone who generalises about one being all flair and enterprise and the other being lazy and indifferent is talking through their posterior.
One thing I did come across in the private sector though is the prevalence of tax-dodging right up to the very top in some organisations, though certainly not all.

New Threads

Most Replies