• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What counties of Northern Ireland could join the R.O.I. today?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
What counties have a significant enough Irish demos that they could join the republic based on the principles of self-determination today?

Lets forget the economic stuff(ie the subsidy to NI & the current economic situation of the souths finances).

Could we not redraw some county lines even?

Congalltee

None. We decided as a nation voting on the same day that it was a united Ireland or status quo, to be decided by votes in both jurisdictions.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
[disclaimer] no more manginas to comment please.

Alan Alda

Its a valid enough hypothetical question , i think.
I would suggest the two north eastern most counties go to the UK, with a bit of border adjustment.
Perhaps It could be put to the people in a list of other alternatives such as an independent NI.

rainmaker

Administrator
Its a valid enough hypothetical question , i think..
It probably is. In a better written format that stimulates debate, rather than in its current, lazy, barely interested version.

And more importantly in an appropriate forum, instead of in Defence were it has been placed to deliberately annoy other users.

stopdoingstuff

All of them but who wants them with an accent like that?

ruserious

Fermanagh Armagh and Derry city, ours.

CarnivalOfAction

Fermanagh Armagh and Derry city, ours.
Tyrone has always had a nationalist majority; the Unionist junta actually overthrew both Tyrone & Fermanagh councils when they voted to join with most the rest of Ireland.

gerrymac

West Belfast,then the rest of Ireland could send their kids there for 3 weeks every summer to learn Irish.

CarnivalOfAction

Jeez, a thread about re-partitioning. Why hasn't that been done before?

And put in the obvious forum - defence petunia

Inside is right - zoo!
Yea; nearly as ludicrous as partitioning the country rather than accept the democratic vote in 1918.

mhagain

As a hypothetical question this is incredibly silly - the obvious answer is "none". They'd have to adopt our laws, our constitution, even something as basic as the fact that their road signs use miles whereas ours use KM would prevent it from happening "today".

What's far more interesting is if England continues it's swing to the hard right. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the UK could break up over the next 5/10 years, and that us, NI, Scotland and Wales could form some kind of political alliance. One possible vision of the future could be an isolated far-right England with the rest of the Celtic nations being independent but allied and integrated.

Ren84

I am very well spoken. But definitely I don't see any reason why there should not be a 32 county Republic asap.
Surely we can do something about Kerry before hand? Lease it to the Chinese maybe as a missile testing range?