What Did Haughey's Treatment Of Lenihan Snr Say About Our Political Class?

General Urko

I'm mainly referring to The Squire of Kinseally throwing Brian Lenihan, a man whom he described as closer than a brother, under the bus to save his government, while also backing him for the presidency at the same time.

Of course the robbing of Lenihan's Liver funds tells us a lot about Haughey personally!

On the ringing Dracula controversy, I also wonder what damage it did to future researchers when the tapes were publicly released?

Also if it never came to light, would we have been subjected to a President Lenihan, a man who in my opinion was a man of virtually no ability, whatsoever, indeed you could make the argument, he was ideally suited to The Aras on the basis of that alone!

And if Haughey had fully backed him, like Cosgrave had supported Donegan, what would have happened?

https://presspack.rte.ie/2012/09/24/scannal-mature-recollection/

General Urko

Lenihan Snr would have been better in the Aras than Mary Robinson.
Robbo did a very good job and helped up our image as a modern nation to the world, President Leniham would have been vastly incapable of doing the latter!

General Urko

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
But it is the question being asked!
What I think I'm trying to say is that, with the possible exception of keeping Lenihan's treatment money, I'm not sure Haughey's treatment of him was all that bad, as compared, say, to Haughey and Lenihan's opportunistic opposition to the Anglo-Irish agreement, only to reverse their position when they got into power, partly on the strength of that opposition.

Lenihan deserved Haughey richly.

Last edited:

devoutcapitalist

Robbo did a very good job and helped up our image as a modern nation to the world, President Leniham would have been vastly incapable of doing the latter!
Robbo was a mouthpiece for the politically correct liberal media who liked to espouse support for trendy causes just like the current incumbent in the Aras.

Last edited:

diaspora-mick

He would have portrayed the true face of Ireland to the world and thus would have been our equivalent of DONALD J. TRUMP - long before DONAL J. TRUMP came to political prominence ...

General Urko

What I think I'm trying to say is that, with the possible exception of keeping Lenihan's treatment money, I'm not sure how bad Haughey's treatment of him was all that bad, as compared, say, to Haughey and Lenihan's opportunistic opposition to the Anglo-Irish agreement, only to reverse their position when they got into power, partly on the strength of that opposition.

Lenihan deserved Haughey richly.
Ironically I reckon Haughey was a man of ability, Fitzgerald said the best Taoiseach we never had, while Lenihan Snr was just a Fianna Fail Yahoo Redkneck AH!

General Urko

He would have portrayed the true face of Ireland to the world and thus would have been our equivalent of DONALD J. TRUMP - long before DONAL J. TRUMP came to political prominence ...
Even Lenihan Snr would be @ Trumpy's Level!

Toland

Website
Ironically I reckon Haughey was a man of ability, Fitzgerald said the best Taoiseach we never had, while Lenihan Snr was just a Fianna Fail Yahoo Redkneck AH!
That far we're singing entirely from the same hymn sheet. What I'd add is that they were both ethical illiterates who deserved significantly worse than they got (with the exception of Lenihan's liver condition).

Last edited:

Jezza15

That's politics. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

I can't help feeling that like Devalera, Haughey tapped in to something in the heart of the Irish. It smacks of bullcrack pomposity when people throw their hands up years after his passing and claim that oh, if only they'd known then what he was really like! They knew.

Toland

Website
... It smacks of bullcrack pomposity when people throw their hands up years after his passing and claim that oh, if only they'd known then what he was really like! They knew.
Never a truer word spoken.

I remember hearing about some of his malfeasance in my primary schoolground during the 1977 election campaign.

devoutcapitalist

I can't help feeling that like Devalera, Haughey tapped in to something in the heart of the Irish. It smacks of bullcrack pomposity when people throw their hands up years after his passing and claim that oh, if only they'd known then what he was really like! They knew.
The joys of Catholicism which rewards dishonesty and corruption without having to pay the consequences :D

eoghanacht

Haughey was a philandering, thriving, lying scumbag.

What that says about us I have no idea, he has a fan club here on P.ie BTW.

General Urko

Bird of a feather flock together! I suppose it's only natural redkneck buffoons would idolize him!
Of course he never considered himself as such!

diaspora-mick

That far we're singing entirely from the same hymn sheet. What I'd add is that they were both ethical illiterates who deserved significantly worse than they got (with the possible exception of Lenihan's liver cancer).
IIRC, Lenihan Snr. had a long-standing "liver ailment" ... which ultimately require a transplant ... but it wasn't cancer ... (and has on occasion been attributed to alcohol consumption by evil wagging tongues whereas others have speculated about "hemachromatosis" ... http://www.postbulletin.com/irish-official-has-liver-transplant/article_3650323a-15a8-5151-bd72-e035622791e1.html) ...

Lenihan Jnr. developed pancreatic cancer.

General Urko

Any views on other parts of the OP?

SuirView

Haughey was a philandering, thriving, lying scumbag.

What that says about us I have no idea, he has a fan club here on P.ie BTW.
Very interesting point regarding the "fan club here" comment.
Have you any links?
Just for the record,
Do you have a voting preference?
Thanks

GDPR

It was more that Haughey desperately wanted people to like him.

He mastered the gesture that cost little but won widespread approval. He sucked up to the little folk and made them feel important while doing nothing much for them at all. He never achieved an overall Dail majority and was just as much hated and distrusted as he was admired.

Despite the Pie hold-outs, the general judgement on Haughey is negative, as it always was.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies