What did Varadkar say about Garett the Good?

Should Leo Varadkar apologise for his comments in the Dail about Garret Fitzgerald?

• Yes

Votes: 95 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 139 59.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MookieBaylock

Just got a text from a friend to say Leo had rounded on Fitzy in the Dail.

Anyone got any more details?

I am away.

dloob

Just got a text from a friend to say Leo had rounded on Fitzy in the Dail.

Anyone got any more details?

I am away.
This is from RTE

Fine Gael TD Leo Varadkar has told the Taoiseach that he was no Seán Lemass, no Jack Lynch, but he was like Dr Garret Fitzgerald, in tripling the national debt and effectively destroying the country.

Mr Vardakar suggested that the Taoiseach should enjoy writing boring articles in the Irish Times in a few years time - an apparent reference to Dr Fitzgerald.

D

Deleted member 17573

This is from RTE

Fine Gael TD Leo Varadkar has told the Taoiseach that he was no Seán Lemass, no Jack Lynch, but he was like Dr Garret Fitzgerald, in tripling the national debt and effectively destroying the country.

Mr Vardakar suggested that the Taoiseach should enjoy writing boring articles in the Irish Times in a few years time - an apparent reference to Dr Fitzgerald.
And all because Garrett is a NAMA fan and thinks FG's alternative, such as it is, would be disastrous.

True Republican

Just saw it on RTE what were his exact words? I didn't think Varadkar would have much time for Fitzy's bleeding heart, social democratic beliefs.

Apparently Kenny wasn't too happy with Fitzgerald when he came out in favour of NAMA back in September.

MookieBaylock

Wow - that is heavy stuff and may be a bit silly when you think on it.

A number of the FG front bench were there in Garret's time - Kenny for one was a TD and Olivia Mitchell.

adrem

FG the masters of the own goal !! Attack the taoiseach by comparing him to an ex FG leader thats generally held in high regard in the country - why?? FFS why not just attack the taoiseach !!

Congalltee

)Good for him.
Dublin West has 3 superb TDs, with Joe Higgins waiting in the wings.

Garrett is now an ff supporter in effect and the way AIB wrote off 200k of a loan is also quite ff (though perfectly legal). His premiership was the 2nd worst of the 80s and the fact that he ran 8% deficits makes the comparison with cowen fair (23 years ago Haughey slashed the current deficit from that longstanding 8 to below 3% when he got back in,thereby redeeming himself - Fitz had no such redemption).

Leo would have been a communion child when Garret was last taoiseach, so he is one of the few who would contemplate the swipe.

Fr. Hank Tree

But you just said:

"He's not of course but that is how our joke of a fourth estate presented it."
Garret suggested FG should support NAMA for strategic reasons. FG probably didn't agree with this. But that doesn't mean he was a "fan" as you suggest.

goatstoe

Varadkar to me epitomises that arrogant ultra right streak that you find in FG and makes them very difficult to vote for no matter how bad the government is. Cowen has taken the safety first option with his reshuffle and will hope that by the time the GE comes along things in the economy will improve. Cowen will happily take the safety first option because from his experience he'll remember how Kenny blew it before the last GE and with characters like Leo Varadker around the FG front bench, Cowen will bide his time and wait for FG to implode. I reckon Lab should be the party to put it up to FF.

jacko

this would be the same garret fitzgerald who was the last leader of FG to lead them into government after an election and who brought the party to within striking distance of an overall majority.

I hope that some of you in FG stand up for your former leader against a jumped up TD who has less intellectual ability in his brain than Garret has in his baby toe !

davehiggz

Olivia Mitchell was first elected in 1997.

I'm shocked by what Leo has said this afternoon. Garret didn't run a perfect government but he was a strong decisive leader and let's not forget that it was a co-alition government, both FG and Labour are responsible for the actions of the 1982-87 government. It doesn't all fall on Garret's door.

Also the reference to Garret's Irish Times articles is simply rude even though it is for the most part an attack on Brian Cowen.

T

The_Big_Fellow

This is from RTE

Fair dues to Varadkar he is spot on about Garret. FG screwed up when they put Garrett in charge, he was able to get a good election or two, on the back of the Hurling Taoiseach Jack Lynch, who was probably the worst Taoiseach outside of Ahern. He did however alienate the public to such a large degree that FG have been out of power for only a few of the last 30 years.

Blaming the population for voting FF, and blaming FF for lying repeatedly to the populace are true, but FG need to look at the mirror. There is too much obsession with the Provo's, the civil war etc. Time to be relevant to Irish politics going forward, not going backwards. Have a HBAP as a TD rather than a Supermanpolitician.

T

The_Big_Fellow

this would be the same garret fitzgerald who was the last leader of FG to lead them into government after an election and who brought the party to within striking distance of an overall majority.

I hope that some of you in FG stand up for your former leader against a jumped up TD who has less intellectual ability in his brain than Garret has in his baby toe !
It is also the Garret who blew that opportunity. "Striking distance of a majority" 2nd place is not acceptable. FG are too willing to accept that.

Fear Rua

Varadkar to me epitomises that arrogant ultra right streak that you find in FG and makes them very difficult to vote for no matter how bad the government is. Cowen has taken the safety first option with his reshuffle and will hope that by the time the GE comes along things in the economy will improve. Cowen will happily take the safety first option because from his experience he'll remember how Kenny blew it before the last GE and with characters like Leo Varadker around the FG front bench, Cowen will bide his time and wait for FG to implode. I reckon Lab should be the party to put it up to FF.
You know it is at times like this you realise why FG have spent so long in opposition. They just dont have enough likable people to elect. Imagine a Varadker/Hayes/O'Reilly led front bench, and a half dozen Labour ministers, poor Inda wouldn't stand a chance. A shocking vista.

Don't like Garret, never have but would not allow a FF TD talk to him like the scroat Leo has done.

Fact that FG hacks happy to acquiese think says it all really.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies