What did you do during the war Daddy?

Accidental sock

Well son, I killed Rhododendrons.

'The rhododendrons are taking over': Healy-Rae says army should be sent to Killarney National Park

This is one of those articles I read every now and again, where I have to do a double-take to ensure it's not Waterford Whispers...

,,,and then rub my shoulders to alleviate the pain from the involuntary head shaking.

The two take-away points;

He(Michael Ring) said that over €700,000 had been invested to fight the rhododendrons in the past few years, with €200,000 spent last year alone

And;

"We are losing the war” he (Michael Healy-Rae) added.

Our national parliament ladies and gentlemen.

between the bridges

Moi put a balaclava on moi's keyboard...

Mushroom

Well son, I killed Rhododendrons.

'The rhododendrons are taking over': Healy-Rae says army should be sent to Killarney National Park

This is one of those articles I read every now and again, where I have to do a double-take to ensure it's not Waterford Whispers...

,,,and then rub my shoulders to alleviate the pain from the involuntary head shaking.

The two take-away points;

He(Michael Ring) said that over €700,000 had been invested to fight the rhododendrons in the past few years, with €200,000 spent last year alone

And;

"We are losing the war” he (Michael Healy-Rae) added.

Our national parliament ladies and gentlemen.
He's 100% correct. (something that, believe me, I never thought that I would ever type!)

We're also in big trouble with Japanese Knotweed down here - and elsewhere - although only de paper ever bothers to report about it.

Call for national taskforce as Japanese knotweed delays housing project | Irish Examiner

Dearghoul

He's 100% correct. (something that, believe me, I never thought that I would ever type!)

We're also in big trouble with Japanese Knotweed down here - and elsewhere - although only de paper ever bothers to report about it.

Call for national taskforce as Japanese knotweed delays housing project | Irish Examiner
Holy God makes the weather.

The weather is conducive to the spread of Rhododendron.

Can't see what his issue is here, or how we mere mortals are to interfere in Holy God's project for us in any way.

automaticforthepeople

Both Rhododendron and the Knot weed are invasive species. Should we build a wall to stop them getting in?
Could we also build a wall around Kilgarvan to stop the Healey Rae's getting out?

Last year it was red deer, last week it was the drunken priests, today its the rhododendrons, Is anything safe anymore?

callas

The best way to deal with the Rhododendendrons and the knotweed is to feed dem to the Gondolas that be on the lakes.

former wesleyan

A problem of Himalayan proportions.

Accidental sock

Yeah, knotweed has been tackled on this esteemed forum before....fyi, makes a fine rhubarb substitute...

This Rhododendron issue is a new one on me. The spelling alone makes me suspicious.

milipod

[video=youtube;0Fju9o8BVJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fju9o8BVJ8[/video]

Accidental sock

First they came for the Daffodils, and I did not speak out.....

callas

I am fuuking lost.

Didn't somebody nearly die a few years ago, when they went for a walk in the Reeks, only to get lost among the rhododendrons, going round in circles.

They had to be rescued and all.

Last edited:

Mushroom

Yeah, knotweed has been tackled on this esteemed forum before....fyi, makes a fine rhubarb substitute...

This Rhododendron issue is a new one on me. The spelling alone makes me suspicious.
Rhododendron has become a major problem in Killarney National Park where it's slowly destroying the last native oak forest in the country. It was also a big problem the last time I visited Glenveagh National Park (over 20 years ago now) and, it was becoming a problem in the area around Diamond Hill and that lovely convent (??) on the road to Leenane in Galway.

callas

The rhubarb you talk of is not knotweed, it is another alien called Gunnera.

Is there not already a thread on invasive aliens?

automaticforthepeople

It's a major issue in Killarney National Park where it's slowly destroying the last native oak forest in the country. It was also a big problem the last time I visited Glenveagh National Park (over 20 years ago now) and, it was becoming a problem in the area around Diamond Hill and that lovely convent (??) on the road to Leenane in Galway.
Sure would a few auld Billy goats not ate the rhododendrons and sure wouldn't they double up at the puck fair as the guest of honour?

Lucan Lefty

It's a major issue in Killarney National Park where it's slowly destroying the last native oak forest in the country. It was also a big problem the last time I visited Glenveagh National Park (over 20 years ago now) and, it was becoming a problem in the area around Diamond Hill and that lovely convent (??) on the road to Leenane in Galway.
Major problem is that Knotweed has a large underground root network and to kill off the plant the roots need to be killed. All above-ground parts of the plant need to be controlled years in order to weaken and kill the entire patch. Its as the old saying goes 'A f*ckin nightmare.

Lucan Lefty

Major problem is that Knotweed has a large underground root network and to kill off the plant the roots need to be killed. All above-ground parts of the plant need to be controlled for years in order to weaken and kill the entire patch. Its as the old saying goes 'A f*ckin nightmare'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies