• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What do Councillors actually do?

fursey

as a councillor here's my diary for last friday for example

left home 9.45am
attended funeral at 10am
council meeting at 11 am - 11.30am
called into office 11.30 - 1pm
had lunch with developer - 1 - 3.30
attended spc meeting 3.30 - 4pm
had coffee with constituent about planning permission 4 - 5.30
attended removal 5.30 - 6pm
had tea 6 - 8pm
meeting with constituent about sewage 8pm - 8.30
attended cumann meeting 8.30 - 9.30
social networking 9.30 - 1.30am
home 1.30

croppyboy

fursey said:

left home 9.45am
attended funeral at 10am
had tea 6 - 8p
home 1.30
Hmmm... I think you may be taking the proverbial a little here..

Most official council meetings would surely last more than half an hour? Appreciate you could probably drop in at the end if you had to. At least you managed to fit a few square meals into your schedule. Is social networking a core part of the job?

Also above schedule would suggest you have no other occupation - so how do you make ends meet? They get paid 15,000 per annum don't they? Or does it vary?

croppyboy

I would imagine a typical (weekly) diary of a councillor is more like this:

Monday
8am - head to unrelated day job
9-1pm perform day job
1-2pm check mobile messages, possibly return some calls to constituents/media
2-5pm continue day job
5-6pm check/return messages again
6-8pm dinner/family/personal
8.30pm residents meeting
10.30pm home

Tuesday
as above except
2-5pm attend area/full/spc committee (alternate weeks) council ofices
6-8pm dinner/family/personal
8-10pm work from home on PR & representations

Wednesday
as above except
8.30pm cumann meeting
10.30pm home

Thursday
as above except
8.30pm attend civic function in official capacity
10.30pm home

Friday
day job ; no official council business
some representations

Bom

fursey said:
left home 9.45am
Thats a nice lay-in!

fursey said:
attended funeral at 10am
You live beside the chapel?

fursey said:
You didnt go to the graveyard.

fursey said:
Posting on politics.ie

fursey said:
He/She was buying, I take it (the lunch, that is)?

fursey said:
Its appropriate that policy should only take half an hour but the Java should flow for an hour and a half. A busy politician needs that caffeine kick in the afternoon.

fursey said:
Just the five decades then (the Sorrowful Mysteries, of course).

fursey said:
had tea 6 - 8pm
Thats a great tea break (more posting on politics.ie).

fursey said:
The fan hits the sh*t....

fursey said:
The sh*t hits the fan....

fursey said:
Pint and a wee Paddy and whatever yer havin' yerself...

fursey said:
home 1.30
Ah the late lay-ins explained... ;)

stopthetrain

oldkilcormack said:
There has been a lot of talk recently about the role of councillor and how hard it is and how maybe it should be full time and paid up and all the rest of it. There must be some truth to this given the attrition rate on dublin city council in particular recently.

But from what I know of the operation there are perhaps two mandatory meetings a month (area committees and full council meeting) and perhaps an SPC or VEC thrown in bringing it up to perhaps 4 (or 5?) meetings a month.. Now granted these are daytime meetings which mightn't suit someone in private employment but it's still not that arduous.

Presumably they get invited to lots of residents meetings and all that malarky as well but that's not mandatory and a lot of these are a waste of time anyway. They probably spend a bit of time canvassing or leafletting their own locality and talking to the press but that's political stuff that anyone involved in politics should be up to anyway..

So what else do they get up to? Maybe the councillors on here could shed some light - what volume of representations do you get? What official council work do you do in addition to the above meetings?
Many of them i know in my area, they build social houses and distribute them that's it, and if you investigate those social houses is all full of our people, non-national consist of 1 to 100 irish citizen that's there jobs no other use i have seen to date,go to them for anything is absolutely nothing rather than colecting informations that they'll use against people, that's why we're encouraging a lot of non-national to contest the next local election to put presure on their segregational communities around the countries, a lot done more to do. :lol: :evil:

fursey

croppyboy said:
fursey said:

left home 9.45am
attended funeral at 10am
had tea 6 - 8p
home 1.30
Hmmm... I think you may be taking the proverbial a little here..

Most official council meetings would surely last more than half an hour? Appreciate you could probably drop in at the end if you had to. At least you managed to fit a few square meals into your schedule. Is social networking a core part of the job?

Also above schedule would suggest you have no other occupation - so how do you make ends meet? They get paid 15,000 per annum don't they? Or does it vary?
social networking is evrything - how the hell do you think i get elected.

i agree the pay is terrible but you can make an extra few bob now and again

monroe99999

in theory councillors should provide oversight on the actions of Councll officials . in my experience however they are almost entirely useless and pointless. they should be either given a bit of power or abolished, preferably the latter. with maybe the money saved diverted to an independent Ombudsmans office that could oversee the actions of council officials. abolishing all councillors now would save millions and have no practical effect on the operation of local government.

btw when they had a little power in the past in relation to the granting of planning permissions against the advice of planners they proved to be totally corruptable and their corrupt actions adversely affected the quality of life of millions to line the pockets of a few developers. I would be very reluctant to give them any power ever again.

Last edited:

ang

The one thing that County Councillors have power on. Is the Local Area Plan and the county Development Plan. This is their forte. You can see how that bit of power goes to their heads, with all the rezonings and the pushing out of town boundries. I can't understand why we pay them. It's a waste of money.

L.O. Dublin S.C.

dlohan

The conundrum then is to

1. Empower the councils and risk the same lapses that occured before
2. Leave them as they are and question what they are there to do.

Polic aye

Representations???

i am a councillor. in fact i am the only councillor for my party in most of north munster. i work 40 hours a week at least as a councillor. i make several representations a week. remember some politicians make representations or say they do but i chase up my representations to the final conclusion which takes time. i spend most sundays doing paperwork ie representations looking up similar cases in other councils in the internet, press releases etc. i also work full time. if you take your job seriousely you will be busy if you get elected by a big party machine you can take it easy until 6 months before the next election.
Can you explain exactly what you mean by representations...is this changing the rules for your mates...arguing so they can buld their house wherever they want? What about these councillors you say 'can take it easy'? How do they get away with this - is there no set amount of work for them to do apart from meetings? Sounds like €50,000 for feck all and a real 'jobs for the boys' kind of gang!!!

Luigi Vampa

Councillors have three functions.
(1) To argue with officials, and make up excuses, why local authority rules and procedures should not apply to the particular person that made "reps" to them.
(2) To collect the allowances and expenses.
(3) To do a pantomime act in front of the local press at council meetings.

They make Killnascully look sophisticated. Other than make lots of noise in the local press and blow hot air, thank God they have no real power in Local Authorites. The National corruption was bad enough, we don't need any more local corruption. They are in the main clueless about what they are supposed to represent.

gatsbygirl20

Thats a nice lay-in!

You live beside the chapel?

You didnt go to the graveyard.

Posting on politics.ie

He/She was buying, I take it (the lunch, that is)?

Its appropriate that policy should only take half an hour but the Java should flow for an hour and a half. A busy politician needs that caffeine kick in the afternoon.

Just the five decades then (the Sorrowful Mysteries, of course).

Thats a great tea break (more posting on politics.ie).

The fan hits the sh*t....

The sh*t hits the fan....

Pint and a wee Paddy and whatever yer havin' yerself...

Ah the late lay-ins explained... ;)
:D:D:D

Ah, leave him alone.
Can you imagine the mind-numbing, toxic boredom of this kind of work......the meetings...the droning bores...the tedious detail...the committees....the yawning pretence that you are interested in this stuff.....the local in-fighting...listening to every whiner...trying to remember names and feuds, who is on what side in every local little snit and tiff....the dreadful parochial littleness of it all...the despair......

No, just kill me.

I

idij

i am a councillor. in fact i am the only councillor for my party in most of north munster. i work 40 hours a week at least as a councillor. i make several representations a week. remember some politicians make representations or say they do but i chase up my representations to the final conclusion which takes time. i spend most sundays doing paperwork ie representations looking up similar cases in other councils in the internet, press releases etc. i also work full time. if you take your job seriousely you will be busy if you get elected by a big party machine you can take it easy until 6 months before the next election.
Out of curiosity, what do these representations consist of typically? And why are they necessary? (from a councillor, rather than an application from the person themselves, say)

What I mean is, are there things or processes that should be fixed that would just make a whole load of those issues disappear, and everyones lives a lot simpler?

The Field Marshal

Look everybody, the OP has an important point.

County Councillors currently have little power to influence events in their own county because central government has castrated them.

The result is that the office of county councillor has become risible and a serious disservice is done to local democracy.

Give back serious powers with teeth to local county councillors and then democracy in Ireland will be improved.

geri

What gets me is when they get above their station and do press releases about things they have no control over, eg. cuts to farmers' grants, etc. A local FG councillor here was always putting out statements that he condemned the govt's decision on such and such. Why bother? Plus, when quizzed on his party's economic policy he hadn't a clue. What's the point? Hot air.

cllr

What gets me is when they get above their station and do press releases about things they have no control over, eg. cuts to farmers' grants, etc. A local FG councillor here was always putting out statements that he condemned the govt's decision on such and such. Why bother? Plus, when quizzed on his party's economic policy he hadn't a clue. What's the point? Hot air.
Maybe we issue statements because in addition to being Councillors we are also politically motivated citizens and we care.

I will ignore the condescending remarks.

SeanieFitz

Maybe we issue statements because in addition to being Councillors we are also politically motivated citizens and we care.

I will ignore the condescending remarks

you are wasting your time, no matter what you say or do, if you are a politician with a social conscience, you will not get any credit here.

whatever you say will be thrown back at you accompanied by snide remarks and insults

that is why very few suitably qualified people will get involved in politics in the future, you leave yourself and your family open to ridicule by hurlers on the ditch!

louisb

What do Councillors actually do?
err ..... campaign for re-election?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies