• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What do Councillors actually do?

cllr

I have established a Housing co-op that recently allocated nine houses. I have helped establsih a very successful local History society. Last night I attend the Lansdowne/ Aviva Stadium Monitoring Committee that dealty with a range of issues. Yeterday I attended the Planning Strategic Policy Committee that considered in some detail the National Transport Authority Draft Plan while that morning I was at a pleanry meeting of the Association of City and County Councils which dealt among other things the proposed change of housing strategy to a regional basis and the need to protect the universal nature of the Postal service. Tonight I chaired meetings of the Ballsbridge VEC College Committee and the Rathmines College Committee.

Tomorrow I will be chairing the South Inner City Local Drugs Task Force monthly meeting - as Chair of this body I have several more.

Along side this I am completing work on a submission to the new Minister on the issue of Local Government reform as part of a UCC formed group on the issue. I have also started work on a book to be published in the autumn on the future of Dublin and am preparing ( or at least thinking about a short presentation I am making to an event in Dublin next Wednesday on a vision for Dublin.

Tomorrow night ( ie after a days work) I will be attending a meeting of the Labour Group on the City Council.

That just a snapshot

cllr

Reference to writing a book should have read writing a chapter for a book. I am not claiming great literary talent

gatsbygirl20

Reference to writing a book should have read writing a chapter for a book. I am not claiming great literary talent
Fair play to you anyway, you have a busy life.
I would hate that type of work, but you have to really want to do it, I guess.

There is a terrible dearth of information in the media about what it is people actually do, or what actual agreements or contracts they have entered into.

Articles in newspapers are almost all colour pieces, with no facts, ranting about "useless county councillors" "Sir Humphrey Civil Servants" who should have "blown the whistle" on the government etc.

They peddle the populist prejudice that the world is full of idlers with cushy jobs, while neglecting the first duty of their own job, which is to do some proper research.

Best of luck with the writing---even if it is only a chapter.

geri

Maybe we issue statements because in addition to being Councillors we are also politically motivated citizens and we care.

I will ignore the condescending remarks.
I apologise. I'm speaking from personal experience of one particular Cllr so I shouldn't have made the generalisation - my bad, you're right I did sound condescending. This one particular Cllr I know just had the annoying habit of saying things he knew very little about when pressed, just to be the voice of opposition and get local votes when needed. It was a power thing with him rather than genuine concern for local issues - he really got to me. Good to know there are some who have sincere motivations.

cllr

I apologise. I'm speaking from personal experience of one particular Cllr so I shouldn't have made the generalisation - my bad, you're right I did sound condescending. This one particular Cllr I know just had the annoying habit of saying things he knew very little about when pressed, just to be the voice of opposition and get local votes when needed. It was a power thing with him rather than genuine concern for local issues - he really got to me. Good to know there are some who have sincere motivations.
No offence taken - I am actually glad to see a discussion on the role of Councillors

grumpydunphy

I have established a Housing co-op that recently allocated nine houses. I have helped establsih a very successful local History society. Last night I attend the Lansdowne/ Aviva Stadium Monitoring Committee that dealty with a range of issues. Yeterday I attended the Planning Strategic Policy Committee that considered in some detail the National Transport Authority Draft Plan while that morning I was at a pleanry meeting of the Association of City and County Councils which dealt among other things the proposed change of housing strategy to a regional basis and the need to protect the universal nature of the Postal service. Tonight I chaired meetings of the Ballsbridge VEC College Committee and the Rathmines College Committee.

Tomorrow I will be chairing the South Inner City Local Drugs Task Force monthly meeting - as Chair of this body I have several more.

Along side this I am completing work on a submission to the new Minister on the issue of Local Government reform as part of a UCC formed group on the issue. I have also started work on a book to be published in the autumn on the future of Dublin and am preparing ( or at least thinking about a short presentation I am making to an event in Dublin next Wednesday on a vision for Dublin.

Tomorrow night ( ie after a days work) I will be attending a meeting of the Labour Group on the City Council.

That just a snapshot

A genuinely fine insight into a day's graft for a decent Irish councillor. We all know the other kind of parochial gombeen exists (and where I live, we have had plenty over the years fitting that description!) - so it is nice to read the flip side of the coin, Cllr. Lacey! ;)

Keep on keeping on!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies