What do I do now???

controller

I was self employed for the last 4 years. I worked with the same company all that time. I could earn up to €70K per year. It was in the terms of the contract. I was let go last April, and have worked on some of the biggest projects in the country.
Because I was self employed
• I cannot get the dole, and because my wife earns over the threshold (and not by much) I cannot get job seekers.
• I cannot get on any back to work scheme (you have to be in receipt of dole or job seekers)
• I cannot get any of the college places that the unemployed receive (you have to be in receipt of dole job or seekers)
• If I never get a PAYE job again, I will never ever receive any payment from the gov.
• I cannot access the funding to do a post graduate as I do not qualify as I am not in receipt of any government handouts

I have a primary degree, with two post graduate diplomas. I have three children, ages 6, 2 (with down syndrome) and 8 weeks

What do I do now??

consultant

This is a dilemma encountered by many right now and illustrates the reality behind the statistics.

I know of many in similar situations. Easy to say, I know, but you have to think outside the box. I will pm you. Perhaps I can be of some help.

fluffykontbiscuits

I was self employed for the last 4 years. I worked with the same company all that time. I could earn up to €70K per year. It was in the terms of the contract. I was let go last April, and have worked on some of the biggest projects in the country.
• I cannot get the dole, and because my wife earns over the threshold (and not by much) I cannot get job seekers.
• I cannot get on any back to work scheme (you have to be in receipt of dole or job seekers)
• I cannot get any of the college places that the unemployed receive (you have to be in receipt of dole job or seekers)
• If I never get a PAYE job again, I will never ever receive any payment from the gov.
• I cannot access the funding to do a post graduate as I do not qualify as I am not in receipt of any government handouts

I have a primary degree, with two post graduate diplomas. I have three children, ages 6, 2 (with down syndrome) and 8 weeks

What do I do now??
You may be entitled to unemployment assistance

Self-employed and unemployment-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

What line of work were you in?

sondagefaux

What do I do now??
Start your own business?

Flimflam

I don't have much comfort to offer you as I'm in the same boat as yourself. One thing you should do though is sign on anyway for credits. This may also qualify you for a back to work scheme, you'll have to check with the dole office.

Also, get in touch with the tax office and get them to give your wife your tax free allowance. You should also apply for a home carers credit if you are at home with the kids.

Hope things work out for you and best of luck.

What do I do now??
You were not self employed you were an employee as defined by tax legislation.

controller

You were not self employed you were an employee as defined by tax legislation.
No.....I was self employed as defined by the tax legislation.....I paid self employed stamps

No.....I was self employed as defined by the tax legislation.....I paid self employed stamps
Wrong as working for same company for 4 years even as self employed makes you an employee.

What did you do with the benefits you had as an employee over and above being a PAYE employee ?

fluffykontbiscuits

Not according to the dole office or citizens advice

Project Management, primarily but not exclusively construction projects
Not sure if you were a member of the Construction Industry Federation but they provide career advice too might be worth a shot 01 406 6000 is their number

Crowey

You'll probably need to dip into your savings and/or be a house-husband.

It's not the end of the world no matter what vibes this site sends off... if you've time, work on your golf handicap.

royalpixie

Hi, does your wife get incapacitated child tax credit for your child who has Down's Syndrome? Its about €3300 p.a My husband gets it as our little girl has physical and intellectual disability.

controller

Hi, does your wife get incapacitated child tax credit for your child who has Down's Syndrome? Its about €3300 p.a My husband gets it as our little girl has physical and intellectual disability.
Wife gets this....thanks

controller

fluffykontbiscuits

Thanks........we had to fight for a medical card, hole in the heart, hearing problems, kidney problems.......not sick enough. HSE wanted me to bring him into the office to prove he had Down syndrome
Goes to show how much of a shambles the HSE is in....

What do I do now??
Sorry for your troubles.

But lets be honest, your wife is earning, you havent said what it is she earns but im guessing its far more than people on the dole, so at least you have a better state of income that those who have no jobs.

As for your wife has she applied for Family Income Supplement? It will help to top up her wages.

Family Income Supplement-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

You have not answered the question relating to what you did with the benefits you received by being self employed V PAYE.

controller

Paid all my taxes and kept going until my company ran out of money

yellowfish

I understand the frustration with the system, during my time out of work i was told i was no longer entitled to unemployment allowance as my wife earnt to much. This meant that i instantly became in valid for all the fas and other schemes, not only did i not have my own income but all support was withdrawn. --that will teach us for being the "hard working families" the pols love to drone on about.
Unless your underclass or at the very top its a one way street as far as society works, since my experience i have sworn that if i can do any work without paying tax i will. I owe the system nothing.
Sorry, because i know this is not much help and i understand your frustrations. I got out their by doing relief work and slowly getting in with an employer. The irony is the course for the qualification fas ran for the job i do was refused to me when unemployed because i was not in receipt of benefits. Now i am in the job the govt are paying my employer to send me on the course, covering all my wages and traveling expenses. costing them multiples of what it would when i realy needed the help. Of course now its a large employer asking not a simple taxpayer in tough times.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies