• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What Do Ministers Zappone And Mitchell O'Connor Know About Children And Jobs?

Radix

Ireland's Prime Minister appoints Ireland's Minister for Jobs as one Mary Mitchell O'Connor. Why?

He appoints Katherine Zappone as Minister for Children. Why?

Are we not already in enough trouble?

Betson

The O'Connor one is baffling and makes absolutely no sense but at least Zappone has some professional background in her portfolio.

There are probably a few more to who may be questionable as well , anyway they all have a chance now to prove their worth.

parentheses

I gather Zappone's Cosan project has received quite a lot of funding from Atlantic Philantropies.

Gin Soaked

The O'Connor one is baffling and makes absolutely no sense but at least Zappone has some professional background in her portfolio.

There are probably a few more to who may be questionable as well , anyway they all have a chance now to prove their worth.
MMOC just needs to turn up to bask in whatever the IDA pull in. I actually like her, she has grown on me over the past 5 years.

But she'll always be a PD carpetbagger....

GDPR

Start with very low expectations and you cannot be disappointed. I know very little about O'Connor. I'd be interested to see how Zappone gets on.

Betson

MMOC just needs to turn up to bask in whatever the IDA pull in. I actually like her, she has grown on me over the past 5 years.

But she'll always be a PD carpetbagger....
Let the IDA do what they do well and bring in FDI and just don't get in their way , but we need to also focus on home grown entrepreneurs and business's where we lack a good bit, can't see O'Connor with her background bring much to the table in this regard.

RahenyFG

It's a big jump to give someone with no ministerial experience an important position such as jobs and enterprise in Mary Mitchell O'Connor.

GDPR

It's a big jump to give someone with no ministerial experience an important position such as jobs and enterprise in Mary Mitchell O'Connor.
They'll have a busy few days to get up to speed. I wonder how the whole area of special advisor's will be dealt with.

HarshBuzz

Speaking to a social worker earlier, reckons Zappone is a great appointment.

flavirostris

Mary Mitchell O'Connor in Enterprise is a poor decision I think. Harris should have got that, although I think Bruton was doing a good job there and Education may not be his strong suit.

wombat

Its a good time to be taking on the jobs dept., Bruton has pushed through a lot of administrative reform and focussed the dept towards eliminating barriers. Its interesting that he went to Education rather than MMOC, no idea if there is any significance other than he's not a teacher. I wonder will he give training to employment where it belongs?

Radix

Mary Mitchell O'Connor in Enterprise is a poor decision I think. Harris should have got that, although I think Bruton was doing a good job there and Education may not be his strong suit.

Harris may well surprise everyone, I sincerely hope he does.

But at a time when we need a strong enterprising Minister where employment is concerned, we get ditsy féck all? Is Kenny for real?

Did he mix up the Ministries?

RahenyFG

Its a good time to be taking on the jobs dept., Bruton has pushed through a lot of administrative reform and focussed the dept towards eliminating barriers. Its interesting that he went to Education rather than MMOC, no idea if there is any significance other than he's not a teacher. I wonder will he give training to employment where it belongs?
While I heard Bruton was keen on education and held the portfolio when FG was in opposition in the past but I think he should have got Public Expenditure and Reform with an economic brain like his. Also Noonan is clinging onto Finance and should step down with his age and health, Bruton would have been a good choice there.

PBP voter

Ireland's Prime Minister appoints Ireland's Minister for Jobs as one Mary Mitchell O'Connor. Why?

He appoints Katherine Zappone as Minister for Children. Why?

Are we not already in enough trouble?
What does any of our TDs know about anything?

They just read expert reports, get advice from hired party economists and take advice from Civil servants. They they cut out the bits that are unpopular with the electorate and we end up in a mess.

Boy M5

Let the IDA do what they do well and bring in FDI and just don't get in their way , but we need to also focus on home grown entrepreneurs and business's where we lack a good bit, can't see O'Connor with her background bring much to the table in this regard.
In fairness she's good for the car panel beating industry.

Boy M5

Harris is 29 only ever existed in politics.
He's got no life experience & is not fit for ministerial office.

gatsbygirl20

Mitchell O'Connor used to be a PD. Weren't they all very pro-enterprise.? She was a school principal and was considered to be extremely hardworking and organised.

So maybe that all adds up to something