What do people in the ROI generally think of Churchill?

hiding behind a poster

He kinda got lucky (circumstances and all that dear girls/boys) in the way he became Prime Minister .

Lucky that the Russians (Russian Blood) and American money beat de Germans .
Not really, because nobody has ever realistically claimed that Britain could have beaten Nazi Germany on her own. His job was to save Britain's present and future, and the only way to do that was to ensure the Nazis lost the war. If that meant getting the US and USSR onside as soon as possible, then so be it. And Churchill quite rightly put a huge amount into achieving that goal from his first day in charge. But in the meantime, he was the perfect man for the job of boosting morale, instilling a fighting spirit, and basically ensuring that any suggestion by anyone of making terms with the Nazis wasn't just greeted with a "No", but with a "No, and f**k off, to boot".

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
But he didn't get to show it quite so much.

Off you go now, back to your childhood memories.
You seem terribly bitter about something. Is not your religion your comfort and candlelight in the darkness? Or is it that you simply prefer being angry?

GDPR

You seem terribly bitter about something. Is not your religion your comfort and candlelight in the darkness? Or is it that you simply prefer being angry?
Religion doesn't bother me at all, one way or the other.
Would that you could say the same eh?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Religion doesn't bother me at all, one way or the other.
Would that you could say the same eh?
That's generally the way of it with us atheists. Now back to the thread subject? Any thoughts on the OP at all?

GDPR

That's generally the way of it with us atheists.
Not true at all. "Us" atheists are generally very happy for other people to believe whatever they want to believe, "you" aggressive atheists, with anti religious personal issues, different story.

death or glory

They were cut from the same fabric so to speak. Look Lumpy unlike you I have known Paramilitaries, I was bounced on their knees as a little girl, Ireland gained immensely when the bullet sent Collins to his judgement. Or is it that you love him because he despised Catholicism?
Winston Churchill despised Catholicism,

sounds like my sort of guy, a great judge of religious beliefs.

toughbutfair

Like most white British rich men of his time he believed that those that weren't in said group were inferior to him - does that make him bad ?

Most importantly he stood up to Hitler when everyone else shat themselves. The world owes him that , where'd the world be if chamberlain had stayed in power ?

gerhard dengler

I am glad to here that. It might do no harm for him to check out the various state archives, and see which one is a good fit with regard to collection policy, or to just to contact them with regard to advice on how best to store the material while its still in his possession.
Grand, I'll pass that suggestion on to him.

As far as I know he's in regular contact with at least one very well known and renowned Irish historian. So I expect that he's had the heads up but I'll make sure to say to him what you've suggested here.

GDPR

Winston Churchill despised Catholicism,

sounds like my sort of guy, a great judge of religious beliefs.
No Churchill didnt at all- Michael Collins did though, which didnt stop him making the Provies look the Salvation Army when it came tribal/sectarian murdering of Ulster Prods.

Ireniall

The old drunk actually loved Southern Ireland and HATED Orange men so I have that in common with him.
God -another drunk who loved the south-we really need that one REF:). I love him. He was a pro-Irish traditional oul Brit and whatever his other faults , had he had his way I feel that we'd have no partition and a good relationship with Britain today. If you are interested in a united British Isles it is incumbent on you to cherish it all as exemplified by Gladstone. Churchill did that.

GDPR

What do people in the ROI generally think about him? The only people I have discussed him with from here have yourself and rashers on the net as well as a retired Officier of the ROI Defense Force who has given my better half and I a lot of laughs and giggles on the subject; this is the thing about Churchill that he was so pompously ridiculous in his evil a lot of the time that it is hard not to find him humorous.

Yes I firmly believe that Hitlerite regime had to be crushed but the way he went about was at times nothing more than satanic. If it had not been for World War II he would remembered in British history for his murder of Welsh miners and his drunken arrogance in World I which led to the deaths of multiudes of Commonwealth soldiers.
Since my critics are allowed to link to my posts on Politicalrishcom, I take it that I can do so too,

Winston Churchill was the most Evil War Criminal of all time | Political Irish

Ardillaun

No idea what people think generally. A 19'th century imperialist, he played a weak hand well in WWII as the very junior partner in the Big Three but should have retired from public life at the top in 1945.

Dame_Enda

Fairly positive. He supported Home Rule before WW1. On the other hand he was a poor military planner as Gallipoli and the Norway campaign showed. In Galipolli the maps were inaccurate and intelligence bad, soldiers inexperienced, not enough artillery, 4 reconnaissance planes out of 5 couldn't fly etc. In Norway in WW2 there wasn't enough air cover, and transport ships were unsuited to narrow Norwegian coastal waters so troops had to be transferred to destroyers resulting in equipment being left behind. He will be mainly remembered though for resisting pressure from the anti war wing of his party to make peace with Hitler, and the Cretan campaign probably helped win the war by delaying the invasion of the Soviet Union.

Last edited:

galteeman

Churchill was no friend of Ireland or the Irish.

That's about as charitable as I can be as regards the man.
In fairness I don't think he was an enemy of Irish Nationalists especially.

galteeman

Fairly positive. He supported Home Rule before WW1. On the other hand he was a poor military planner as Gallipoli and the Norway campaign showed. In Galipolli the maps were inaccurate and intelligence bad, soldiers inexperienced, not enough artillery, 4 reconnaissance planes out of 5 couldn't fly etc. In Norway in WW2 there wasn't enough air cover, and transport ships were unsuited to narrow Norwegian coastal waters so troops had to be transferred to destroyers resulting in equipment being left behind. He will be mainly remembered though for resisting pressure from the anti war wing of his party to make peace with Hitler, and the Cretan campaign probably helped win the war by delaying the invasion of the Soviet Union.
I think he would argue that his plan which led to Gallipoli wasn't carried out due to interference by other commanders and if it had been it may well have been successful.

Catalpast

Like most white British rich men of his time he believed that those that weren't in said group were inferior to him - does that make him bad ?

Most importantly he stood up to Hitler when everyone else shat themselves. The world owes him that , where'd the world be if chamberlain had stayed in power ?
It was Chamberlin who declared War on Nazi Germany

Would he have thrown in the towel after Dunkirk though?

Obviously we will never know

- but Britain was very far from defeat through the rest of 1940

- once she retained command of the skies & kept the sea lanes open

- then she could hold out

Regardless of who was in No 10

galteeman

What do people in the ROI generally think about him? The only people I have discussed him with from here have yourself and rashers on the net as well as a retired Officier of the ROI Defense Force who has given my better half and I a lot of laughs and giggles on the subject; this is the thing about Churchill that he was so pompously ridiculous in his evil a lot of the time that it is hard not to find him humorous.

Yes I firmly believe that Hitlerite regime had to be crushed but the way he went about was at times nothing more than satanic. If it had not been for World War II he would remembered in British history for his murder of Welsh miners and his drunken arrogance in World I which led to the deaths of multiudes of Commonwealth soldiers.
I think he was an amazing writer and his book on the 2nd world war was one of the best reads ever.
Some argue there is a great myth created by Churchill and his fans that he saved the world etc. and I think those critics have a point as he liked to blow his own trumpet a lot. One example is the myth of Dunkirk which was one of the greatest hammerings the British ever suffered but now you would almost think of it as a victory thanks to Churchillian spin.
He steered Britain through WW2 in a fairly cautious way, keeping the home islands safe and protecting Suez and the supply lines from the East, generally keeping safely at home while letting the Soviets and Nazis kill each other off.

New Threads

Top Bottom