What do people in the ROI generally think of Churchill?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
One can be fairly ambivalent about Churchill as a character but he was certainly in the right place at the right time when it came to the dark days of 1939/1940.

It was rare enough for a politician to be on radio at all but the way he took to it with his speeches was an incalculable benefit in terms of morale and leadership at the time.

There was a suggestion from Lord Halifax in one of Churchill's early cabinet meetings as PM that terms should be sought with Germany. Churchill had him out of there and in a diplomatic posting to Washington pretty much instantly and there was no more talk of 'terms'.

Undoubtedly the right man at the right time whatever his faults. Same as any other leader in a crisis. What they do right is magnified and what they do wrong fades in historical significance.

toughbutfair

Chamberlain cut a deal with Hitler even when the Germans had shown their cards. When Germany had the pact with the USSR and the USA hadn't entered , only a person of convictions would stay strong.

The world owes the U.K. For standing up to German desire to conquer Europe (which still exists - which is why brexit is bad)

The world needs to never forget what the German people are , what their goal is - time will show whether a British PM will have the balls to stop Germany again

Just Jack

He and Hitler were two sides of the same coin.

A monster.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Churchill urged the Americans not to give in to the pro-Israel lobby for a jewish homeland as well as he told them it would be a disastrous idea and would destabilise the middle east.

In fact he proposed that jewish lobby groups be offered Madagascar instead as a safer option.

However odd that sounds he wasn't far wrong in his forecast about a constructed jewish state in Palestine.

Galloglass

Churchill was simply a British Emiire Imperialist.....A cultural Facist and a racist. Not to mention an immature fantasist.

Try reading his " A History of the English speaking peoples". If you have a sound constitution.

Galloglass

I think he would argue that his plan which led to Gallipoli wasn't carried out due to interference by other commanders and if it had been it may well have been successful.
If only the Turks hadn't resisted the invasion all would have been dandy.

InsideImDancing

I wish we had have got him during the WoI.

Just being honest. :)

InsideImDancing

Not really, because nobody has ever realistically claimed that Britain could have beaten Nazi Germany on her own. His job was to save Britain's present and future, and the only way to do that was to ensure the Nazis lost the war. If that meant getting the US and USSR onside as soon as possible, then so be it. And Churchill quite rightly put a huge amount into achieving that goal from his first day in charge. But in the meantime, he was the perfect man for the job of boosting morale, instilling a fighting spirit, and basically ensuring that any suggestion by anyone of making terms with the Nazis wasn't just greeted with a "No", but with a "No, and f**k off, to boot".
You absolutely love him, HBAP.. :)

You are right though.

Irish-Rationalist

Churchy five-bellies enjoyed his pork pies.

He was alright.

InsideImDancing

Lord Talbot

Hardline republicans, sneaking regarders, mad catholics, etc.. are generally programmed to not like him. This is often accompanied with warm, gushy feelings for the German Empire.

The rest are either ambivalent or vaguely admire him inasmuchas he defeated Hitler, but since he isn't studied in our schools knowledge of his life wouldn't extend much past the basics, WW2 etc. Most wouldn't even know he lived here.

InsideImDancing

Hardline republicans, sneaking regarders, mad catholics, etc.. are generally programmed to not like him. This is often accompanied with warm, gushy feelings for the German Empire.

The rest are either ambivalent or vaguely admire him inasmuchas he defeated Hitler, but since he isn't studied in our schools knowledge of his life wouldn't extend much past the basics, WW2 etc. Most wouldn't even know he lived here.
I don't dislike him at all. He done a superb job for the Brits and it was super harsh that he was not elected again. Also, I don't think his true valued was realised, you would have seen that had the Germans invaded.

But me being Irish I wish we had have got him during the war. :)

Ireniall

One can be fairly ambivalent about Churchill as a character but he was certainly in the right place at the right time when it came to the dark days of 1939/1940.

It was rare enough for a politician to be on radio at all but the way he took to it with his speeches was an incalculable benefit in terms of morale and leadership at the time.

There was a suggestion from Lord Halifax in one of Churchill's early cabinet meetings as PM that terms should be sought with Germany. Churchill had him out of there and in a diplomatic posting to Washington pretty much instantly and there was no more talk of 'terms'.

Undoubtedly the right man at the right time whatever his faults. Same as any other leader in a crisis. What they do right is magnified and what they do wrong fades in historical significance.
You get the feeling that he learned from his many mistakes also -almost like if he had not made them he would not have been prepared for his finest achievement in bringing about the defeat of the Nazis.

Ireniall

I don't dislike him at all. He done a superb job for the Brits and it was super harsh that he was not elected again. Also, I don't think his true valued was realised, you would have seen that had the Germans invaded.

But me being Irish I wish we had have got him during the war. :)
You mean you wish that he was on our side during the WoI is it? I'm not sure what more could have been done....

The Field Marshal

Any objective analysis of Churchill reveals that he was a truly foolish imperiliast who almost single handedly succeeded in destroying the very thing he spent his life fighting to preserve :The British Empire.
Britain would still be a major world influence had they come to a reasonable accommodation with Germany in 1939, a country that never sought a war with them.
But Churchill and his war gang sought a fight and the result was the loss of the British Empire and its replacement by the American Empire.

In relation to Ireland he was a bully prepared to violate Irish sovereignty and neutrality at the slightest pretext.
When the war ended he maintained his hostility to Irelands neutrality.

There are bitter people on p.ie that support ignorant drunkard Churchills views and attitudes to Ireland.

GDPR

Sean Gabb and my mother in law who are Hardline English Tories (an English Tory should not be confused with a member of the Conservative Party- as the immortal Enoch Powell once said "I am now inclined to believe that the Conservative Party is no longer Tory") both freely admit the glories of the Second Reich and that more or less the UK was in the wrong in the Frist World War. Your last sentance is nonsense in that the brains of Southern Irish are often extremely active- why do you consistently run down your own motherland? I run down mine but I do so in a lot more rational fashion.

Ardillaun

I think he would argue that his plan which led to Gallipoli wasn't carried out due to interference by other commanders and if it had been it may well have been successful.
His 'soft underbelly' strategy proved wrong in both wars. The Turks were always going to put up a ferocious fight so close to Istanbul. His big moment was 1940.

Lord Talbot

Any objective analysis of Churchill reveals that he was a truly foolish imperiliast who almost single handedly succeeded in destroying the very thing he spent his life fighting to preserve :The British Empire.
Britain would still be a major world influence had they come to a reasonable accommodation with Germany in 1939, a country that never sought a war with them.
But Churchill and his war gang sought a fight and the result was the loss of the British Empire and its replacement by the American Empire.

In relation to Ireland he was a bully prepared to violate Irish sovereignty and neutrality at the slightest pretext.
When the war ended he maintained his hostility to Irelands neutrality.

There are bitter people on p.ie that support ignorant drunkard Churchills views and attitudes to Ireland.
This one fits into the first category as you can see.

Lord Talbot

Sean Gabb and my mother in law who are Hardline English Tories (an English Tory should not be confused with a member of the Conservative Party- as the immortal Enoch Powell once said "I am now inclined to believe that the Conservative Party is no longer Tory") both freely admit the glories of the Second Reich and that more or less the UK was in the wrong in the Frist World War. Your last sentance is nonsense in that the brains of Southern Irish are often extremely active- why do you consistently run down your own motherland? I run down mine but I do so in a lot more rational fashion.
Disagreeing with political positions of various Irish groups isn't "running down Ireland". Believing that is, well, irrational.

D

Deleted member 45466

He'd be a great addition to this site. He'd have every liberal balloon running for the hills.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom