• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

What do people REALLY want from their Politicians?

EmmettTCorcoran

I just want this thread to discuss what people want from their politicians, like characteristics, personal qualities, policies etc. Pretty broad or very specific... I just wana get a feel for what is on people's minds!

Like personally, I want to see less "political ethics" and more actual Morality!

Thought's?

Fractional Reserve

Politicians that have a basic understanding of economics , stop lying and buying votes , and to stop interfering in business as they know nothing about it .
I just want this thread to discuss what people want from their politicians, like characteristics, personal qualities, policies etc. Pretty broad or very specific... I just wana get a feel for what is on people's minds!

Like personally, I want to see less "political ethics" and more actual Morality!

Thought's?

B

birthday

Thought's?
Free stuff!

Rural

Backbone - morality - humility - understanding of the plights of others - smaller cars.

Less of the following: Greed - parish pump politics - teachers and barristers - dynastys.

RepublicOfLuas

I don't want my politician to help me get bumped up on the housing list. I don't want my politician to help me in getting a medical card. I don't want my politician to snuggle up to the big businesses that bully SME's into shutting down. I don't want my politician propose legislation to appease a group of backward-thinking voters.

I want my politician to act nationally. I want my politician to legislate for my beliefs and mantras. I want my politician to be my representative to the nation.

Disillusioned democrat

It's easier to define what I don't want:

1 - I don't want them to pretend to act on my behalf to get me access to services I'm entitled to anyway and write to me to get the kudos
2 - I don't want them to use my tax to buy votes, I'd prefer if their own performance did that
3 - I don't want them to be glorified Councillors, but rather act in the national interest, not local interests
4 - I want them to be educated and successful in their own right, not failed SME-owners who can't manage a corner shop but tell us how to run a country
5 - I want them to not want to be a career politician - I'd like them to have a career before they spend time as a politician and then return to that after maybe 3 attempts and/or terms

irish_bob

whatever makes thier wallett heavier , irish people love money despite not having a reputation for it internationally

fuque

Thought's?

i want less cronyism, less lies/false promises, less big salaries/pensions, more morals, more delivery of policy, more accountability, sackings if necessary, prison when necessary.............."you may say im a dreamer.................but im not the only one"....

oh and i forgot, act in the interest of ireland not the eu...............like Cameron does for England.

EmmettTCorcoran

I'm seeing honesty a lot in here! Which I totally agree with, but in what context- from govt. to people, from candidates on the doorsteps?

Rural

I'm seeing honesty a lot in here! Which I totally agree with, but in what context- from govt. to people, from candidates on the doorsteps?
Honesty to themselves would be a good start - A lot of them should look in a mirror and admit that they are not up to the job.

fuque

it very simple. all public reps......including our corrupt cops

Mossy Heneberry

Thought's?
A lot of people want as many freebies as possible, courtesy of the politicians, and paid for by someone else.

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Frederic Bastiat

Last edited:

fuque

teapot

What's left to be said? Other than a couple of nodders - the posters on this thread have painted their picture of what a politician ought to be like - and all good stuff, guys and gals!
Seems a lot of us want them to be dealing with National and International issues right there in Dublin; not sitting back waiting to be told what to do by THE Party until they can dash back to THE Constituency to see what personal favours the folks (voters) back there want... after all, isn't that what County Councils are for?
So if our National Polis are all wrapped up in local (parish pump) affairs, then at the least get rid of the CoCo's.
Otherwise let's hear their views and actions on National issues - after all this Dail is our Parliament elected to deal with those.
They ought also to be prohibited from funerals where they don't know the deceased; from ultra-free travel to G-knows-where for whatever reason; their unvouched expenses, and on and on...
Great the opinions we are getting here!

Popular Threads

Most Replies