• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What Do The Expats NOT Miss About Ireland?!

R3volution_R3ady

There's quite a few expats on here so let's be hearing it...

The things that irk you in a certain way no matter how small. For me it has to be the bloody pathetic internet.

UPC (the best in Ireland) - 50mb/40 Euro a month.
Virgin Media (standard UK) - 100mb/33 Euro a month.

Also, transport in Dublin. 2Euro something to go into town from Phibsboro. In France I went from Nice to Monaco for 80cent!

captainwillard

This is all too much. They miss home and are dislocated in a foreign country. They will never feel they belong again.

Hewson

The weather.

The government.

Joe Duffy.

Ivana Bacik.

The weather.

Tax on houseplants.

Eamon Gilmore's face.

The weather.

Jean Byrne.

Over-priced Jerusalem artichokes . . . and

Potholes.

Hewson

. . . and paying off Sean Fitzpatrick's Chapter One bill.

Mackers

Getting through Dublin airport.

needle_too

- I dont miss the ignorant, closed-minded people.
(Thats all of you, btw)

-The constant harping about the past. Yours, theirs, the countrys...

- The sh!tty public services; paying for schooling, schoolbooks, seeing a doctor.

- the stupid, stupid people. The small town mentality.

- the constant moaning about everything but when asked why dont you do something you get "Ah shure, what can I do about it".

- the giving a flying fk about what the neighbours/people might think. Why?

- the brainless loyalty to party/town/county.

- the idea that success or sophsitication means having a car/Sky/a fashion label coat/clothes.

- the stupid, ignorant people even (especially) the educated.

- the idea that 'you'll never beat the Irish'. All that cod nationalist sh!tology when in reality you havent got a pot to p!ss in and are reliant on handouts from the rest of europe.

- the ungrateful attitude/ sense of entitlement.

- finally, the small-minded ignoramuses that populate the place.....

ruamruam

(Thats all of you, btw)

- The sh!tty public services; paying for schooling, schoolbooks, seeing a doctor.

- the constant moaning about everything but when asked why dont you do something you get "Ah shure, what can I do about it".

- the idea that success or sophsitication means having a car/Sky/a fashion label coat/clothes.

- the idea that 'you'll never beat the Irish'. All that cod nationalist sh!tology when in reality you havent got a pot to p!ss in and are reliant on handouts from the rest of europe.

We really miss you too!

Electric Sheep

I don't miss people saying that Ireland punches above it's weight in this or that. It must be the most overused and untrue phrases used in Ireland.

NYCKY

There are many things I don't miss but one I really don't miss is the begrudgery. It had gone away during the Celtic tiger years but is back with a bang now.

I don't miss the weather and I don't miss the high prices and the crap public services/transport.

gatsbygirl20

(Thats all of you, btw)

Yeah, the negativity, the moaning, the self-hatred........

NYCKY

(Thats all of you, btw)

Is this tongue in cheek?

Roberto Jordan

Dont miss the weather or the lack of choice & quality in regards to goods & services of all sorts ( food, clothes, electrical, housing, communications ......everything I can think of!!)

There are also elements of the general mentality that I dont miss, but whether these are entirely bad or completely absent from where i am now, downtown NYC , I do not know.

In particular people here are more open & honest and healthy in their desire to just get ahead and be happy. There is no false, or real, modesty in that regard and i have found that extremely refreshing. I never realised I was so up tight or antiquated or subject to what is lumped together as " catholic guilt" until I moved here, I am only in my late 20's for god sake and am a left leaning , liberally minded individual but there you go........while there may be poeple free of much of those things back home often they are from the fringes of society or "altenrnative" social groups and so have limited reference points to someone form my background.

I do miss things, the real rural people I grew up around, the simplicity of rural life ( when you wnat it) ......there are actually days I miss "soft days" , particulalry in May and September. I miss the countryside. I miss the real GAA as opposed to the baa$tardised version here. I miss the long evenings and the feeling of suburn on nekc as the sunsets and you chase a sliotar around a field, the joy that fills you as your legs pump & the ball cracks away over the bar and the satiety of eating a "feed" afterwards when getting home at 10 or 11 at night......

Last edited:

R3volution_R3ady

There are many things I don't miss but one I really don't miss is the begrudgery. It had gone away during the Celtic tiger years but is back with a bang now.

I don't miss the weather and I don't miss the high prices and the crap public services/transport.
This begrudgery business you speak of, I may have come across it a few times since the crunch as well...it's not something I've ever gone into deep discussions about with other people in real life to get their opinions because they'd probably dismiss it as crazy-talk immediately but everywhere you turn on the internet you hear it time and again....

Some people I've seen talking about it online have said that Ireland and the US are stark contrasts when it comes to this. It's obviously just the American way to applaud success while here someone might think they deserve it more than others....I'm not sure what it is...but it's very interesting..

(Thats all of you, btw)

These things are pretty ubiquitous.

I can't say that I've ever lived in a place free of all of them.

I'm no wearer of the green-tinged specs when I look back at Ireland and neither am I one to confer on it damnations which aren't unique to it.

Ireland displays many faults which are common across the Earth.