What do the Irish really think on unification?

Pyewacket

Its Johnson's last card.

He knows perfectly well the Irish would wet themselves at the thought of Reunification - please God, not in my lifetime. :)

AhNowStop

A visit to my local war Memorial would tell different
No it wouldnt actually .. its common knowledge that Ulster "loyalists" were more than a tad reluctant to sign up for WW2 ... They mainly preferred to let the lads from the "neutral" south do their fighting for them.

I believe Churchill himself complained about it

So you should perhaps look closer to home rather than point fingers in a southerly direction ;)

Last edited:

Mickeymac

No it wouldnt actually .. its common knowledge that Ulster "loyalists" were more than a tad reluctant to sign up for WW2 ... They mainly preferred to let the lads from the "neutral" south do their fighting for them.

I believe Churchill himself complained about it

So you should perhaps look closer to home rather than point fingers in a southerly direction ;)

Less said about puffin the better methinks sir, a real piece of work and very capable of posting gross untruths.

puffin

One hundred deaths out of a population of 10,000. And you demean their sacrifice, good decent men of all religions ,political ,persuasions, when I condemn the South I mean the political establishment,I cast no aspersions on those brave men who volunteered, and those who came home to be victimised, mickeymac how is weightwatchers getting on

Dame_Enda

When I heard yesterday that Narendra Modi was revoking Kashmir's special-status after nearly 70 years, I wondered would we resist the temptation to do the same in Northern Ireland if there was a United Ireland? I think what Modi did is going to destabilise the region.

Pyewacket

When I heard yesterday that Narendra Modi was revoking Kashmir's special-status after nearly 70 years, I wondered would we resist the temptation to do the same in Northern Ireland if there was a United Ireland? I think what Modi did is going to destabilise the region.
What "special status" would NI have in a UI?

It is the British who are currently moving to revoke NI's "special status" in the UK by resisting the backstop.

AhNowStop

One hundred deaths out of a population of 10,000. And you demean their sacrifice, good decent men of all religions ,political ,persuasions, when I condemn the South I mean the political establishment,I cast no aspersions on those brave men who volunteered, and those who came home to be victimised, mickeymac how is weightwatchers getting on
I demean no one who fought .. I just like reminding people like you that more from the South, a "neutral" country went to fight than from your so called "loyalist" North .. Them's the facts ;)

and btw if you want to talk victimisation, why dont you tell us a bit about the treatment, by the unionist authorities, of James Magennis, the sole VC winner from the North when he came home ?

Edit .... not sure what you mean by the bit in bold....there are no orangemen of the RC faith

Last edited:

Pyewacket

I think if you asked people in ROI what rate of tax they would be prepared to pay for a United Ireland you might get an interesting answer...
Well, by the time Brexit has worked its magic, you will get lots of interesting answers.

puffin

I demean no one who fought .. I just like reminding people like you that more from the South, a "neutral" country went to fight than from your so called "loyalist" North .. Them's the facts ;)

and btw if you want to talk victimisation, why dont you tell us a bit about the treatment, by the unionist authorities, of James Magennis, the sole VC winner from the North when he came home ?

Edit .... not sure what you mean by the bit in bold....there are no orangemen of the RC faith
Bigger population in the South, so what’s your point .

AhNowStop

Bigger population in the South, so what’s your point .
A "NEUTRAL" country, as you like to point out, in terms of a derogatory nature, sent a larger force to fight Jerry than the so called loyal sons of Ulster ... thats my point and you know it ;)

even Churchill complained about them ffs

tsarbomb

Varadkar said the reunifying the country would lead to a different state. That's something new. Previously it was presumed we'd get six new counties.

I'd be an favour of changing the flag, but if the status of Irish were to bechanged I'd vote against it.

LISTOWEL MAN

Relatively ignorant British person here.

I'm neutral on the issue and looking to understand the argument more.

Some people just seem to assume that when and if Ireland unifies, everything will be nice and rosy.
There will never be a united Ireland because what the IRA did in the pretense of fighting for Ireland makes irish (and british) people sick

Brexit has only reminded people what excrement SF/IRA really are

death or glory

There will never be a united Ireland because what the IRA did in the pretense of fighting for Ireland makes irish (and british) people sick

Brexit has only reminded people what excrement SF/IRA really are
Correct,
Due
To Reb terrorism there will never be a United Ireland,
Just compare Scotland already had a independence referendum without a shot being fired.

EnglishObserver

Does anyone have the numbers on how many from Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State who fought against Germany and her allies during WWII and also what percentage of those fit to fight in both Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State actually fought?

I'd also be interested to know the same figures for those involved actively in the war effort short of actual military roles (often more important) in both NI and The Irish Free State.

Finally, it would be nice to know what type of people joined up from both NI and The Free State - were they Protestant/Catholic? Were any of them ardent Irish Nationalists/Republicans or were they mostly Unionists (or from a Unionist background if from The Free State).

It would be wonderfull to see the complete picture - all most people on The Mainland know about this issue is De Valera mourning Hitler's death.

Wasmanormouse

Does anyone have the numbers on how many from Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State who fought against Germany and her allies during WWII and also what percentage of those fit to fight in both Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State actually fought?

I'd also be interested to know the same figures for those involved actively in the war effort short of actual military roles (often more important) in both NI and The Irish Free State.

Finally, it would be nice to know what type of people joined up from both NI and The Free State - were they Protestant/Catholic? Were any of them ardent Irish Nationalists/Republicans or were they mostly Unionists (or from a Unionist background if from The Free State).

It would be wonderfull to see the complete picture - all most people on The Mainland know about this issue is De Valera mourning Hitler's death.
Do they actually know that about Dev? If more than a very small percentage did, I’d be very surprised.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Heh. 'The Mainland' always makes me laugh. Feckin' great continent you can see from Dover on a clear day... :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mind you I do know a small island off the south-west coast of Ireland where the locals tend to stare out the window pensively across the bay and say things aloud like 'I have to go to Ireland tomorrow'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies