What do the Irish really think on unification?

between the bridges

Mind you I do know a small island off the south-west coast of Ireland where the locals tend to stare out the window pensively across the bay and say things aloud like 'I have to go to Ireland tomorrow'.
You will have to narrow it down as there are approximately 6k islands in these British isles...

between the bridges

Does anyone have the numbers on how many from Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State who fought against Germany and her allies during WWII and also what percentage of those fit to fight in both Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State actually fought?

I'd also be interested to know the same figures for those involved actively in the war effort short of actual military roles (often more important) in both NI and The Irish Free State.

Finally, it would be nice to know what type of people joined up from both NI and The Free State - were they Protestant/Catholic? Were any of them ardent Irish Nationalists/Republicans or were they mostly Unionists (or from a Unionist background if from The Free State).

It would be wonderfull to see the complete picture - all most people on The Mainland know about this issue is De Valera mourning Hitler's death.
Infos out there if you want to google, queens uni has a good record but there are various blogs etc, off the top of my head NI in the region of 35k ROI 47k volunteers, there would have also been some already in the armed services, as for population ROI approx 3 times that of NI

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You will have to narrow it down as there are approximately 6k islands in these British isles...
Well there are one thousand alone off the piece of coast I'm thinking of. There's only three islands off the east coast. Perhaps Anglesey but technically I believe Anglesey is its own continent in geological terms.

Glaucon

Does anyone have the numbers on how many from Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State who fought against Germany and her allies during WWII and also what percentage of those fit to fight in both Northern Ireland and The Irish Free State actually fought?

I'd also be interested to know the same figures for those involved actively in the war effort short of actual military roles (often more important) in both NI and The Irish Free State.

Finally, it would be nice to know what type of people joined up from both NI and The Free State - were they Protestant/Catholic? Were any of them ardent Irish Nationalists/Republicans or were they mostly Unionists (or from a Unionist background if from The Free State).

It would be wonderfull to see the complete picture - all most people on The Mainland know about this issue is De Valera mourning Hitler's death.
With regard to the Republic of Ireland:

British civil servants in the Dominions Office estimated that 42,665 men and women from neutral Ireland had served in the British forces during the Second World War1. Recent research suggests that the real figure was about 70,000.
A recent study of Irish officers based on a sample of 1,000 suggests that among the Irish in the British officer corps a slight majority were Protestant, that they were at least 19 or 20 years old, that they tended to come from urban areas and prosperous agricultural districts (Dublin, Cork, Tipperary, the midlands and east coast counties were well-represented), that a majority were educated at a boarding school in Ireland or Britain and that their fathers were likely to be officers, doctors, engineers and company directors.
The Irish in the enlisted ranks, on the other hand, came from more modest backgrounds and were more representative of the Irish population. They were predominantly Catholic and, as this article will later show, many were underage being only 16 or 17 years old9.

Furthermore, it is worth noting that:

Overall, about 330,000 Canadians, 127,000 Australians, 70,000 South Africans and 55,000 New Zealanders served in land, sea and air forces under British command during the war42. When we compare these figures as proportions of their respective populations, Irish participation holds up well. For example, the 70,000 Irish volunteers represented 2.4 per cent of southern Ireland’s population of 2.9 million. Therefore, Ireland’s manpower contribution to the British forces was proportionately higher than that of South Africa (0.7 per cent of its population) and Australia (1.8 per cent), and slightly less than Canada’s (2.8 per cent) and New Zealand’s (3.3 per cent). This is remarkable considering that southern Ireland was officially neutral during the war.
As regards Northern Ireland:

In Northern Ireland, approximately 38,000 people volunteered for service in the British armed forces between 1939 and 1945 - including 7,000 women.

Last edited:

death or glory

Heh. 'The Mainland' always makes me laugh. Feckin' great continent you can see from Dover on a clear day... :)
You can't beat that auld West Brit humour of yours.
You know what makes me laugh is the Eire minister covering Northern Ireland issues is the minister for foreign Affairs.

Baron von Biffo

Varadkar said the reunifying the country would lead to a different state. That's something new. Previously it was presumed we'd get six new counties.

I'd be an favour of changing the flag, but if the status of Irish were to bechanged I'd vote against it.
Varadkar also said we'd need a new constitution, something I was attempting to discuss elsewhere before tripping over a narrow mind. Perhaps I'll have better luck here.

Even without the context of a united Ireland the thought of replacing the constitution fills me with dread.

As an atheist I'm a second-class citizen under our constitution but I can still recognise the beauty of it.

De Valera chose well when he chose John Hearne and the others of the Constitutional Committee. Hearne in particular was an educated and erudite public servant. He had the background and training to understand the import of his duty and, more than just the the ability to discharge it, he had the old-fashioned patriotism and character to discharge it well.

He wouldn't have a hope of being involved in drafting a replacement today. As a pale, stale, male member of The Elite his sort would wouldn't fit with the need for 'inclusion', 'balance' and the need to consider people's 'lived experience'.

Rather than experts, a 21st Constitutional Committee would surely be some sort of monstrosity like the Citizen's Assembly. Some randomly chosen members from Dublin and other selected parts of the country would be joined by 'representatives of Civil Society' - the sort worthies whom recent Presidents and Taoisigh have appointed to the Council of State and the Seanad respectively. They'll all emote at a professional level but few will have the intellectual capacity or academic background for the task.

After a lot of 'public consultation', and doubtless a few focus groups, they'll produce some sort of woolly-headed mish-mash of a thing that will be filled with good intentions and pious aspirations but which will, if it's adopted, cause untold misery when used to deal with real-life matters in the courts.

The only small glimmer of hope I'm willing to entertain is that it will be defeated by the combined votes of the awkward squad (who can be relied on to oppose everything) and the ever diminishing cohort of educated voters.

silverharp

"think on" ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You can't beat that auld West Brit humour of yours.
You know what makes me laugh is the Eire minister covering Northern Ireland issues is the minister for foreign Affairs.
A lot easier to resolve than being dependent on the Dinosaur Tribe's hold on this shaky Tory government.

Soon as this government falls or is dissolved you are back to having no representation anywhere, with no Stormont in action.

death or glory

A lot easier to resolve than being dependent on the Dinosaur Tribe's hold on this shaky Tory government.

Soon as this government falls or is dissolved you are back to having no representation anywhere, with no Stormont in action.
Sure at least we don't vote to have no representation like the nats do.
At least we know the British government will be back up and running in a few months and we don't mind having direct rule by our pay masters.
But at the minute the DUP call the shots.
All SF have to do is resign 1 seat for an Remain candidate and the Tory majority disappears, but again thick Paddies.

McSlaggart

At least we know the British government will be back up and running in a few months and we don't mind having direct rule by our pay masters.
All SF have to do is resign 1 seat for an Remain candidate and the Tory majority disappears, but again thick Paddies.

When all is finished the DUP will take all the glory for this Brexit.

Paddyc

Did someone read the Fintan O'Toole piece to you?

death or glory

death or glory

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The process has already been useful in that there has been widespread coverage of some of the kinkier thought processes associated with the DUP.

Many more people in the UK previously unaware of the DUP have had an enlightening glimpse of this interesting tribe.

McTell

Twitter
No
Brexit must revive our ancient skills of smuggling, that have lain dormant for decades.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Brexit must revive our ancient skills of smuggling, that have lain dormant for decades.
Fear not. Should the necessary width of margin available arise our glorious historical association with smuggling would emerge in pretty much the same instant.

death or glory

Slab Murphy and friends have got very lax.
As of they haven't been smuggling cigarettes, laundered diesel and stolen animals for the last 20 years.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I hear they are thinking of launching a new Fund and are seeking investors. Giving all the appearances of preparing for expansion.

Can't figure out why, myself :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Jolly Roger IV Fund. A long-short operation with attractively lower costs as they export internationally at night and without spending much on power and light. Heavily rumoured to be using an algorithm based on tax disparities and the ability for high speed trade.

AAC for the moment but with a 'Watch' advisory.

Estragon

God, never thought I'd say this, but this sort of lavatory wall drivel just makes yearn for the good old days of Cruimh.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies