• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What do Unionists think of Northern Protestant 1798 rebels?

Dame_Enda

Such as: Henry Joy McCracken, Henry Monroe. Rev. Willam Steel Dickson etc.?

Do they see them as traitors, or as fighting for something different from the Catholic rebels?

Traditionally Orangeism attempted to expunge the memory of the Northern Protestant role in 1798, despite it being rather important.

Evergreenfinch

As a Monarchist and Briton I would say I don't agree with what they wanted to acheive.

InsideImDancing

runwiththewind

As a Monarchist and Briton I would say I don't agree with what they wanted to acheive.
Why? For a moment, forget the history that came after 1798 and explain what was wrong with their ideals.

InsideImDancing

I'd like the OP clarified first :)
Well the orange men were adversaries of the united Irishmen so I don't think they would be looking to hold up their memory.

Robo

Such as: Henry Joy McCracken, Henry Monroe. Rev. Willam Steel Dickson etc.?

Do they see them as traitors, or as fighting for something different from the Catholic rebels?

Traditionally Orangeism attempted to expunge the memory of the Northern Protestant role in 1798, despite it being rather important.
A rich boy and his shop keeper, what where they rebeling agains. Golden spoon not sweet enough?

Swords Hoopster

Oh my God. How could anyone in the year 2013 believe in hereditary Monarchism?

Its so slavish, so weak. People who bow down to another human being like that are repulsive to me. Wretched quislings.

between the bridges

Its all about context in todays terms they could be willie and jamie...

Evergreenfinch

Glaucon

Its all about context in todays terms they could be willie and jamie...
Yep. As soon as Presbyterians saw their disabilities removed, most shed themselves of their rebellious anti-monarchist streak and were happy to be admitted to the "Protestant" fold. (Before the 19th century, the term "Protestant" was used to refer to Anglicans). Apparently Presbyterians were refused entry to the Orange Order until 1835, partly in virtue for their activities during 1798.

A natural change, I suppose, if unfortunate.

Dame_Enda

I'd like the OP clarified first :)
Orangeism traditionally portrayed 1798 as merely a Catholic sectarian insurrection akin to 1641. The Protestant role in 1798 counters that is what I mean.

InsideImDancing

moi? merely pointing out they where the protestant extremists of their time...
The extremists were the lads who formed the OO, they were the ones who were involved in the violence with Catholics. Weren't the Republican Prods more upper class?

between the bridges

The extremists were the lads who formed the OO, they were the ones who were involved in the violence with Catholics. Weren't the Republican Prods more upper class?
I heard it all now a posh Derry wan... anyway Willie has land and Jamie has a nice selection of hats...