• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What do you do if anything when you see somebody shoplift?

General Urko

I was buying a few plates in a discount store in Galway today. The staff there are decent good people. An underclass rubbish couple in their 20s, possibly junkies came in and in the most blatant act of shoplifting that I have seen in many moons, the male Knack put a giant size bar of chocolate in his jacket pocket and no doubt they did a bit more lifting before just sauntering out without even buying anything.
There appeared to be only 1 young woman behind the counter.
What did I do - Nothing.
How would you have reacted/
I then went across the road to the post office to pay a bill and was treated like a damn nuissance by the aassistant I had to deal with as I was obviously by my presence interrupting her conversation with the assistant beside her, whom I had actually previously taught in a different incarnation!
The way I was treated in the post office made me feel that while as a working class man I owe nothing to anyone, I should have mentioned the shoplifting incident as the knacks walked out or after it to 'help' people who have always treated others with respect!

amsterdemmetje

Nothing as security or shop assistant have to see it themselves for it to be valid and do something about it. When a security guard makes an accusation he has to provide evidence he didn't take his eyes off accused for one second when watching cctv the, if it's shown he even answered his phone it would be thrown out.

General Urko

The issue I have with shoplifting is that say as a mate of mine did (he's now in €100k public sector job), you steal a copy of The Irish Times, then the shop forgos the profit on this and also probably has to sell another 10 copies of said newspaper to breakeven on that theft!
Also it's a pre-occupation of nax!

Orbit v2

Nothing as security or shop assistant have to see it themselves for it to be valid and do something about it. When a security guard makes an accusation he has to provide evidence he didn't take his eyes off accused for one second when watching cctv the, if it's shown he even answered his phone it would be thrown out.
I'd say the burden of proof on a third party might not be that high. If another customer saw someone put something in their pocket and walk out the door, that would be good evidence in a court. Would you go that far over a bar of chocolate though? Maybe not and you definitely shouldn't confront the thief at the time. But, I think reporting it to the shop afterwards might help. I'd probably have done the same as the OP, but having thought about it now, I think I'd mention it to the shop.

GDPR

Im not surprised by Piesters reactions - a mixture of fearfulness and nothing-to-do-with-me-guv. I have witnessed not one but a horde of knackers doing a supermarket - and I walked right up to the head female knacker, who was stuffing packages in her baby buggy with a hand basket tucked under my arm.

"You seem to have missed this" I said, bent down and retrieved the items placing them in the shopping basket. Then handed it over to her.

She ran.

gerhard dengler

I was buying a few plates in a discount store in Galway today. The staff there are decent good people. An underclass rubbish couple in their 20s, possibly junkies came in and in the most blatant act of shoplifting that I have seen in many moons, the male Knack put a giant size bar of chocolate in his jacket pocket and no doubt they did a bit more lifting before just sauntering out without even buying anything.
There appeared to be only 1 young woman behind the counter.
What did I do - Nothing.
How would you have reacted/
I then went across the road to the post office to pay a bill and was treated like a damn nuissance by the aassistant I had to deal with as I was obviously by my presence interrupting her conversation with the assistant beside her, whom I had actually previously taught in a different incarnation!
The way I was treated in the post office made me feel that while as a working class man I owe nothing to anyone, I should have mentioned the shoplifting incident as the knacks walked out or after it to 'help' people who have always treated others with respect!
Shoplifting is wrong on so many levels. Stealing is a crime first and foremost. Stealing deprives the business owner of income and shoplifting is a direct threat to employment in the retail sector especially so but in other industrial sectors too.

For these reasons, one should do something if one witnesses theft. People can make a citizens arrest. People can contact the security on the premises. People can contact the Gardai.

amsterdemmetje

I'd say the burden of proof on a third party might not be that high. If another customer saw someone put something in their pocket and walk out the door, that would be good evidence in a court. Would you go that far over a bar of chocolate though? Maybe not and you definitely shouldn't confront the thief at the time. But, I think reporting it to the shop afterwards might help. I'd probably have done the same as the OP, but having thought about it now, I think I'd mention it to the shop.
I used to be in contact with this sort of thing on a daily basis .On a human level sure inform someone if you think you've seen some blatant shoplifting, on a legal/practical level its a totally different ball game as regards proving it. When a SG try's to make a shoplift arrest in store he has to have followed that person without one break in contact on camera with the shoplifter over the threshold of the exit .If someone came to a SG and pointed out that they saw someone shoplifting there would be nothing that SG could do,he has to have witnessed the whole thing himself.

Just Jack

Nobody likes a grass.

Irish-Rationalist

Shoplifting: Whilst against the law and generally frowned upon (I'm not that keen on shoplifters), big businesses make millions in profit each year by selling goods at greatly inflated prices thus ripping off their customers. Business owners i.e. the capitalist class, have annual sales targets to meet, and many so-called legitimate business are little more than deceptive fronts for what in effect are criminal enterprises masquerading as honest commerce. For example, the music industry, which has been marketing ridiculously over-priced CDs to the public since their introduction, have suffered greatly in recent years due to pirate P2P exchange and streaming sites. Nice to see the extortionate music industry finally experiencing what it has been doing to its customers for decades i.e. getting ripped off.

Getting treated like sh1te by Post Office staff: I've experienced that here in NI, and have attributed it to PO workers considering themselves a cut above their average customer because they got a pass in GCSE maths and are capable of counting out dole money to those in receipt of it. There's one pompous, self important old woman who works in the PO where I live, and I've noticed that she generally treats all customers as if they were beneath her. She just has that manner, and it's a total displeasure coming into contact with her, so I avoid going to the PO when possible and buy postal stamps from Royal Mail online. I'm university educated and treat people on the basis of their personality traits. If you're nice I'll treat you nice. Pompous-ass postal workers with a disdainful attitude shall be the first with their backs to the wall come the revolution!

Felixness

You'd have to prove it. There's no crime until they've left the shop without paying for it. I could never put stuff in a bag wandering around a shop like so many people do, that's what baskets and trollies are for, I'd expect to be rugby tackled by security if I was wandering around Dunnes putting stuff in a carrier bag. I did accidentally shoplift a jar of marmalade from Lidl years ago. :oops:

sadmal

Would have told the shop assistant.
I saw a man filling a carrier bag with tracksuits some years ago in Guiney's, he was doing it in front of other customers. I told a shop assistant about it and he went to investigate.

amsterdemmetje

I saw a man filling a carrier bag with tracksuits some years ago in Guiney's, he was doing it in front of other customers. I told a shop assistant about it and he went to investigate.
Most normal people dont do that but some people do it knowing full well they cant be approached until they have actually left the premises without paying .Some do it hoping some inexperienced assistant or SG will accuse them of shoplifting and then litigate. These people would be seasoned shoplifters and wreck havoc daily on shops and shop owners with impunity it would seem.

between the bridges

Meh, wait till yer outside, beatch slap them and steal what they have stolen, they can hardly call the fuzz...

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Nobody likes a grass.
That's a fantastic attitude. Hopefully one of your neighbours adopts it if your home gets broken into, might make you rethink those words.

I did come across a situation like this, it was quite similar, a junkie couple in a cc shop with young girls on the tills, I walked up and told them to put the stuff back or I would take it off them, the woman started to get a bit mouthy but the guy must have either thought I was an off duty Garda or maybe had a fit of conscience because he looked turned paler than he already was and just dropped the stuff and took off dragging her with him. I wasn't aggressive or anything, just firm. No need for anger or violence, just a display of civic duty can sometimes shame even the apparently shameless. I'm average size and build and don't think I look 'hard' or anything.

General Urko

Shoplifting: Whilst against the law and generally frowned upon (I'm not that keen on shoplifters), big businesses make millions in profit each year by selling goods at greatly inflated prices thus ripping off their customers. Business owners i.e. the capitalist class, have annual sales targets to meet, and many so-called legitimate business are little more than deceptive fronts for what in effect are criminal enterprises masquerading as honest commerce. For example, the music industry, which has been marketing ridiculously over-priced CDs to the public since their introduction, have suffered greatly in recent years due to pirate P2P exchange and streaming sites. Nice to see the extortionate music industry finally experiencing what it has been doing to its customers for decades i.e. getting ripped off.

Getting treated like sh1te by Post Office staff: I've experienced that here in NI, and have attributed it to PO workers considering themselves a cut above their average customer because they got a pass in GCSE maths and are capable of counting out dole money to those in receipt of it. There's one pompous, self important old woman who works in the PO where I live, and I've noticed that she generally treats all customers as if they were beneath her. She just has that manner, and it's a total displeasure coming into contact with her, so I avoid going to the PO when possible and buy postal stamps from Royal Mail online. I'm university educated and treat people on the basis of their personality traits. If you're nice I'll treat you nice. Pompous-ass postal workers with a disdainful attitude shall be the first with their backs to the wall come the revolution!
I wouldn't put post office staff up against a wall when the revolution comes! And while there's certainly an aspect that all capitalism is theft, regular nax acting the bollex, certainly need good and timely arse kicking!

sadmal

Most normal people dont do that but some people do it knowing full well they cant be approached until they have actually left the premises without paying .Some do it hoping some inexperienced assistant or SG will accuse them of shoplifting and then litigate. These people would be seasoned shoplifters and wreck havoc daily on shops and shop owners with impunity it would seem.
Recent video uploaded of incident in Henry street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0lYN-ssNI

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
:?[video=youtube;04_Cf9HBggw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04_Cf9HBggw[/video] :D

blokesbloke

I only saw it once, in a supermarket, but it took so long to find any member of staff he was long gone!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies