What do you do when an apology feels more like just a PR stunt?

Disillusioned democrat

Maybe Brexit has lowered the bar on our expectations and good journalism, but IMHO yesterday's "apology" by an Taoiseach went remarkably without anyone in the media asking the obvious question, "so as the main author of the debacle as Minister for Health and then Taoiseach shouldn't the apology come with some form of accountability?

Our political masters seem to believe that an apology is all it takes and indeed have turned it into positive virtue signaling as opposed to taking responsibility. For the current and former Ministers for Health to sit in the Dail looking theatrically contrite while basically drawing a line under it and promising to throw other peoples' (i.e., the tax payer) money at the victims of their incompetence just doesn't seem enough to me, but hey!, maybe I'm crazy. Of course the timong around Brexit can ONLY be a coincidence, right?

Last edited:

blinding

More and more criminals will try this .

I am very sorrrrry until you catch me again and then I will be very sorrrry again and again and again .

Disillusioned democrat

Performing apologies is now a key element in a politician's skill set. It does not mean that any punishment is meted out.
Indeed it appears to be the very opposite - the media seemed to be enthralled by the magnanimous nature of the "State's" apology when, in fact it was down to the incompetence of a very small number of people, many of whom were in the Dail looking po-faced during the speech.

It seems to be worth more politically now to make a balls of something and apologise rather than actually doing a good job of it in the first place - and that's a very worrying scenario.

McTell

Twitter
No
//
shouldn't the apology come with some form of accountability?

//]

Yes, we want someone's head on the block.

Why? Because we are paying them. Not the HSE. We expect certain levels of competence, and if they are not met we expect public firings.

Stentor

More and more criminals will try this .

I am very sorrrrry until you catch me again and then I will be very sorrrry again and again and again .
Cop on. That's just not good enough.

I feel very very strongly that each time they get caught they need to be more sorry. Very sorry just doesnt cut it for me. I need very very sorry or if it's really really naughty, like allowing their friend to steal very large government licences, then I really think it needs added regret and maybe even an 'extremely sorry'.
Maybe Brexit has lowered the bar on our expectations and good journalism, but IMHO yesterday's "apology" by an Taoiseach went remarkably without anyone in the media asking the obvious question, "so as the main author of the debacle as Minister for Health and then Taoiseach shouldn't the apology come with some form of accountability?

Our political masters seem to believe that an apology is all it takes and indeed have turned it into positive virtue signaling as opposed to taking responsibility. For the current and former Ministers for Health to sit in the Dail looking theatrically contrite while basically drawing a line under it and promising to throw other peoples' (i.e., the tax payer) money at the victims of their incompetence just doesn't seem enough to me, but hey!, maybe I'm crazy. Of course the timong around Brexit can ONLY be a coincidence, right?

Hard to believe anyone could be surprised.

Danger! Danger!

ruman

Varadkar while Health Minister performed a complete u turn on his promise to implement mandatory disclosure after lobbying of his Chief Medical Officer by medical consultants.

As the main architect of the disastrous " voluntary open disclosure policy it is Leo not the state that needs to apologise.

The Phoenix Magazine flagged all this previously, our subservient mainatream media refuse to call out Leo.

hiding behind a poster

Well I suppose the fact that he wasn't the main author of the debacle might have something to do with it. You having this constant bee in your bonnet about everything FG says or does doesn't oblige the media to share your view, and this is something you seem to be having difficulty with.

ruman

Well I suppose the fact that he wasn't the main author of the debacle might have something to do with it. You having this constant bee in your bonnet about everything FG says or does doesn't oblige the media to share your view, and this is something you seem to be having difficulty with.
Actually he was

Disillusioned democrat

Oh boy.

He was the Minister for Health that decided disclosure was "optional" under pressure from the industry. His unwillingness to address anything unpopular is a real Albatross.

ruman

Oh boy.

He was the Minister for Health that decided disclosure was "optional" under pressure from the industry. His unwillingness to address anything unpopular is a real Albatross.
Indeed. Pat Leahy documented how Leo looked after his Doctor mates quite well here

Basically Leo promised to bring in mandatory disclosure. The Consultants had a word with the CMO Holohan who told Leo to drop mandatory disclosure. Leo did a conplete u turn and brought in voluntary disclosure instead. FF also did a u turn and abstained to allow the useless voluntary open disclosure to pass.

The doctors told Leo what to do would be an accurate summation. Amusingly when Cervical Check broke Leo stated " medics should disclose" declining to state it was he who made it optional.

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

Indeed. Pat Leahy documented how Leo looked after his Doctor mates quite well here

Basically Leo promised to bring in mandatory disclosure. The Consultants had a word with the CMO Holohan who told Leo to drop mandatory disclosure. Leo did a conplete u turn and brought in voluntary disclosure instead. FF also did a u turn and abstained to allow the useless voluntary open disclosure to pass.

The doctors told Leo what to do would be an accurate summation. Amusingly when Cervical Check broke Leo stated " medics should disclose" declining to state it was he who made it optional.
And hoping no one would join the dots.

Disillusioned democrat

Oh boy.

Any thoughts on the fact that as Minister for Health Varadkar actually removed the need for mandatory disclosure for the legislation...any thoughts at all? Any sense of the line between that U-turn and the actual fiasco we have now?

Varadkar's "state" apology is a master class in hiding in plain sight. I think he's trading his "Brexit bounce" for some soft journalism right now.

Last edited:

Rural

This is what the Dáil looked like during the apology and as far as I can make out there are only two female TDs in the chamber.

This is what Vicky Phelan and all the other women were looking at from the gallery.

Dail.gif

Disillusioned democrat

Between
This is what the Dáil looked like during the apology and as far as I can make out there are only two female TDs in the chamber.

This is what Vicky Phelan and all the other women were looking at from the gallery.

Dail.gif
Between getting your mates to vote for you while you're having a pint and making a "state" apology to an empty chamber the Dail is beginning to look like it's past it's BBD.

Rural

Between

Between getting your mates to vote for you while you're having a pint and making a "state" apology to an empty chamber the Dail is beginning to look like it's past it's BBD.
It also proves that "Quotas for women" is absolutely nonsensical". These women do not support or represent other ordinary women at all.

New Threads

Most Replies