What do you tell to your Children?

Novos

This comes from a discussion with a poster earlier who gave a very positive message to his children.
One of the problems in Northern Ireland, is children are still being poisoned by twisted history. It is cyclical, the Parents tell their children the history of the "Troubles". (I'm talking about since the formation of NI) It's the same history they learnt themselves from their own parents, who learnt that from their own Parents. Etc etc.

Me? I tell mine not to follow flags and don't let yourself be used by those that do.

Irish-Rationalist

There is only one history of Ireland, but there is a dual narrative. Both tribes are guilty of viewing the past from a partisan perspective, and perpetuating myths, resentments and animosities which nurture their own agenda. The parents of NI should tell their children the factual objective truth, or as close to it as they are capable. That entails viewing the past from a wise and unbiased position of lessons learned, maturely acknowledging the wrongs that were committed by both sides, and with a view to a full and bonafide reconciliation.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." ~ George Santayana.

GOF58

History is still used as a weapon by political parties in NI, and given the limited powers of the Stormont parliament fighting elections on a tribal basis makes more sense (in a perverted way) than fighting in the arena of ideas. No matter the party's social position, once they get into power-sharing Westminster will be calling the shots, so why bother being radical when all you have to do is conjure up the ghost of the past to get your vote out.

Novos

History is still used as a weapon by political parties in NI, and given the limited powers of the Stormont parliament fighting elections on a tribal basis makes more sense (in a perverted way) than fighting in the arena of ideas. No matter the party's social position, once they get into power-sharing Westminster will be calling the shots, so why bother being radical when all you have to do is conjure up the ghost of the past to get your vote out.
We know that. So tell the kids that the politicians are all manipulative liars?

vivabrigada

You can tell your children about your past experiences but you don't have to burden them with it.
They have more immediate concerns like having a life, work, children and I phones.

toughbutfair

End religious schooling and force Protestants and Catholics to go the same school. The problem will be fixed within a generation.

between the bridges

Never trust a one eyed left footed monobrow...

between the bridges

Never cross a motorway without looking both ways....

Irish-Rationalist

Tell your children that you're not their real dad.

And videocam their response.

Marcella

On our way home from the park, I told my inquisitive kids who Ray McCreesh was and all about the hunger strikes. They couldn't believe men could have such bravery.

between the bridges

The best way to preoffend the preoffended is to breathe...

eoghanacht

Don't be a cünt.

vinoboy

On our way home from the park, I told my inquisitive kids who Ray McCreesh was and all about the hunger strikes. They couldn't believe men could have such bravery.
They probably thought what a stupid looser and their parent even more so.:D

New Threads

Most Replies