What do you think about boarding schools?

GDPR

Outside of my father the most neurotic people I have had the misfortune to come across have all went to boarding school however correlation is not necessarily causation. Outside of the fact of missing a lot of your child's growing up to me they seem to involve a lot of trust been given to people you don't know. However some people argue that help in Implanting discipline and stoicism into kids. Does anyone here have any positive or negative experiences with them?

Prester Jim

Outside of my father the most neurotic people I have had the misfortune to come across have all went to boarding school however correlation is not necessarily causation. Outside of the fact of missing a lot of your child's growing up to me they seem to involve a lot of trust been given to people you don't know. However some people argue that help in Implanting discipline and stoicism into kids. Does anyone here have any positive or negative experiences with them?
They can work for some personality types but on the whole I feel that they have damaged all but one of the people I know who went to them. They seem like an almost acceptable means to getting rid of your kids.

GDPR

Why, OP? Do you want to go to one?

Or is that what your parents are calling the "secure facility"? :D

tsarbomb

I think they're a good idea. Teaches kids to be more independent than those who go home every day after school. People who have gone to boarding school tend to be more financially successful later in life also.

GDPR

I think they're a good idea. Teaches kids to be more independent than those who go home every day after school. People who have gone to boarding school tend to be more financially successful later in life also.
Really? Do you have a link for that?

Also what do you think about home schooling?

GDPR

I have no direct experience of them, but it has always seemed to me that it can only damage the personal relationship between children and their parents with both sides losing out in an unrecoverable way.

From an educational point of view it probably works for the child's benefit and certainly the facilities, both sporting and educationally cannot be anything like matched elsewhere and given the boarding school experience I'd imagine those kids would take to the Uni experience much easier with a far lower dropout rate.

In the end though I'd value the personal long term relationship above anything else.

PBP voter

At primary level I think it's a really bad idea.

Unfortunately if you don't want your children to have to learn Irish you have little choice but to sent them to boarding school unless you live near the border.

Thankfully I lived near the said type of school down here that you can opt out of Irish and I have sent my kids as well as day pupils. They studied Latin instead.

O

Oscurito

Yes. People whose parents can afford boarding schools tend to do well financially.....:lol:.

tsarbomb

Really? Do you have a link for that?

Also what do you think about home schooling?
No unfortunately. It's just from my own experience. On average my friends who have been boarders are more successful in the financial sense than those who weren't boarders.

It is true though that there is the potential for the child to become traumatised by boarding though. I've heard some pretty horrible stories about these places.

GDPR

Bad idea from a social point of view, at least as important as education.
To be honest I am also uncomfortable with the idea of both home schooling and board schools for the reasons you have given but that could just be me showing my plebeian roots.

tsarbomb

Yes. People whose parents can afford boarding schools tend to do well financially.....:lol:.
In a lot of the cases of former boarders I know their families weren't too well off. They just gave more priority to their kids education than other things.

Last edited:

Prester Jim

Very likely the same is true for those who went to private schools, that is usually because they are privileged to begin with and are surrounded by others with privilege and free entry to multiple opportunities throughout life.

GDPR

At primary level I think it's a really bad idea.

Unfortunately if you don't want your children to have to learn Irish you have little choice but to sent them to boarding school unless you live near the border.

Thankfully I lived near the said type of school down here that you can opt out of Irish and I have sent my kids as well as day pupils. They studied Latin instead.
I definitely agree there.

Why don't you want your kids to learn Irish? Although Latin is great to have. My better half can speak fluent Latin.

petaljam

I definitely agree there.

Why don't you want your kids to learn Irish? Although Latin is great to have. My better half can speak fluent Latin.
Speak fluent Latin? :lol:
I thought he was a doctor? You don't learn to speak Latin even at A Level, never mind speak it fluently.
Did he do it in his down-time from his medical studies? ;)

Or else he's having you on, it's probably dog-Latin!

GDPR

Speak fluent Latin? :lol:
I thought he was a doctor? You don't learn to speak Latin even at A Level, never mind speak it fluently.
Did he do it in his down-time from his medical studies? ;)

Or else he's having you on, it's probably dog-Latin!
He went to an SSPX school and Latin was something he really got into. We know a retired Irish Defence Force Officer who also can speak Latin fluently.

O

Oscurito

SEAMAI

I have a close friend who was shipped off to one of the better known boarding schools in the midlands and says he wouldn't inflict the same on his own kids, he blames the distant relationship he has with his mother on it. My sister in law's brothers were sent off to one even though they had a perfectly good secondary school 6k away (more than a touch of snobbery on the parents part). Even though they all seem to have done quite well in their chosen careers, they lack any social skills and holding the simplest conversation any of them with bloody hard work.
Have a work colleague who enjoyed her time at boarding school but wouldn't send her own children to one as she doesn't believe in farming out the rearing of them to someone else

Socratus O' Pericles

In a lot of the cases of former borders I know their families weren't too well off. They just gave more priority to their kids education than other things.
Which former borders were these? The Holy Roman Empire and tha?

Clanrickard

Your parents are lying to you. You are actually in a mental hospital.

New Threads

Most Replies