What do you think about boarding schools?

He went to an SSPX school and Latin was something he really got into. We know a retired Irish Defence Force Officer who also can speak Latin fluently.
Latin is not articulated phonetically and its correct enunciation is not commonly thought at school.

Take the first line of Catullus V:

Vivamus, mea Lesbia, atque amemus. - Let us live, my Lesbia, and let us love.

As spoken that could be rendered phonetically as:

Wiwaymooç, maya Lesbia, atkemaymooç.

The language is highly inflected and its rule-based nature makes it very easy to learn. As with other languages, the major task is vocab.

There are very few irregularities in it.

GDPR

Latin is not articulated phonetically and its correct enunciation is not commonly thought at school..
You forget that it is used still in a lot of Masses. He sang in a choir using Latin growing up. Before the changes brought in by Vatican II a lot of Irish people in all levels of society could communicate in it.

You forget that it is used still in a lot of Masses. He sang in a choir using Latin growing up. Before the changes brought in by Vatican II a lot of Irish people in all levels of society could communicate in it.
Incorrectly in my experience.

Irish language education in my time was wholly deficient in oral skills. The French spoken in my classes was risible. Hell, they didn't even teach the French alphabet.

GDPR

Why am I oddly reminded of Peter Cooke and his great creation, the tragic fantasist EL Whistey?

Oh yes, because "I could have been a Judge, but I didnt have the Lating for the Judging..." :D

Why am I oddly reminded of Peter Cooke and his great creation, the tragic fantasist EL Whistey?

Oh yes, because "I could have been a Judge, but I didnt have the Lating for the Judging..." :D
Odd that you mention Peter Cook. I spent a couple of hours last night watching him on YouTube. His performance on the Clive Anderson show repays multiple views.

GDPR

Odd that you mention Peter Cook. I spent a couple of hours last night watching him on YouTube. His performance on the Clive Anderson show repays multiple views.
Peter would have taken the bare bones of the REF persona and made something genuinely illuminating and touching out of it.

Difference between a comic genius and a troll, I suppose.

darkhorse

Outside of my father the most neurotic people I have had the misfortune to come across have all went to boarding school however correlation is not necessarily causation. Outside of the fact of missing a lot of your child's growing up to me they seem to involve a lot of trust been given to people you don't know. However some people argue that help in Implanting discipline and stoicism into kids. Does anyone here have any positive or negative experiences with them?
A breeding ground for gays too ...

Peter would have taken the bare bones of the REF persona and made something genuinely illuminating and touching out of it.

Difference between a comic genius and a troll, I suppose.
Nobody could approach Cook. He was a genius. A cimplex one, though.

petaljam

He went to an SSPX school and Latin was something he really got into. We know a retired Irish Defence Force Officer who also can speak Latin fluently.
Retired. Hmm.

You're 23 you said. Gold bikini, trophy wife, it's all making sense. Or not. :lol:

petaljam

Incorrectly in my experience.

Irish language education in my time was wholly deficient in oral skills. The French spoken in my classes was risible. Hell, they didn't even teach the French alphabet.
I loved Latin. But we really didn't learn to speak it. And you're right about the French alphabet, that caused me some pain when I first came to France, despite having been good at languages at school. I couldn't take names and phone numbers on the phone confidently for quite some time!

GDPR

Retired. Hmm.

You're 23 you said. Gold bikini, trophy wife, it's all making sense. Or not. :lol:
I didn't say I was 23- I said I was in my mid-20s. I turned 26 this November past. And as for the trophy wife comment if someone wanted a trophy wife surely they would get one less aggressive and opinionated? The fact that you find it strange that people would have older friends really does say something about the damage that Liberalism has done. I see my stalker has thanked your post; when are the mods going to do something about her following me around obsessively?

GDPR

i didn't say i was 23- i said i was in my mid-20s. I turned 26 this november past. And as for the trophy wife comment if someone wanted a trophy wife surely they would get one less aggressive and opinionated? The fact that you find it strange that people would have older friends really does say something about the damage that liberalism has done. I see my stalker has thanked your post; when are the mods going to do something about her following me around obsessively?

boo!

greengoose2

I loved Latin. But we really didn't learn to speak it. And you're right about the French alphabet, that caused me some pain when I first came to France, despite having been good at languages at school. I couldn't take names and phone numbers on the phone confidently for quite some time!
Strange that. I got that French alphabet quite easily. Must be my lack of education...

petaljam

I didn't say I was 23- I said I was in my mid-20s. I turned 26 this November past. And as for the trophy wife comment if someone wanted a trophy wife surely they would get one less aggressive and opinionated? The fact that you find it strange that people would have older friends really does say something about the damage that Liberalism has done. I see my stalker has thanked your post; when are the mods going to do something about her following me around obsessively?
No, I'm suggesting that your point about people knowing Latin pre Vatican 2 and your mention of retired army people as family friends suggests that your alleged o/h is of a similar age. I'd have assumed the same of you, but that doesn't match what you've already said. The trophy wife thing was a jokey way of expressing it.
(I don't entirely believe your persona TBPH, though I do enjoy it.)

I feel your pain about stalkers, I have the same problem. It's a longish process, dealing with them. The cost to pay for a site that prides itself on trying to prioritize free speech - as you yourself have had occasion to appreciate too. :)

Strange that. I got that French alphabet quite easily. Must be my lack of education...
We literally were never introduced to the French alphabet.

Nor were compound verbs on the blackboard. They were a shock (and a relief) when I moved here.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom