What do you think of more RTÉ channels? Eamon Ryan wants to know your thoughts....

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Communications Minister Eamon Ryan has this morning announced that he's seeking the public's consultation on new proposed RTÉ channels to be launched. The public's input is a requirement of the 2009 Broadcasting Act when public service broadcasters (RTE and TG4) want to launch new services as a result the consultation process will include a Public Value Test (PVT).

The proposed channells will be launched on DTV (Digital Television) using the Saorview service.

The proposed channels are:

• RTÉ Two HD Select

RTÉ Two HD Select will broadcast the current RTÉ Two schedule with live sport, drama and film in HD.

• RTÉ News Now

RTÉ News Now provides round-the-clock news coverage, with about eleven live news bulletins per day, as well as the opportunity to catch-up on the most recent news bulletin, to watch RTɒs main flagship current affairs programmes, and to catch-up on these where relevant.

• RTÉjr (channel aimed at preschool children)

RTÉjr provides programming for children aged 6 years and younger

• RTÉ Plus (repeat of peaktime RTÉ One content)

The initial phase of this service is RTÉ One with a one hour delay and it will be an exact replica of the primary mixed-genre service.

• RTÉ Aertel Digital (enhanced digital teletext service)

This service uses new DTT set-top box technology to overcome the limitations of analogue technology. The service provides short-form, up-to-date information and news on a range of subjects.

The analogue signal will be switched off by the end of 2012. Going digital has created the opportunity for RTÉ to expand its public service offering by introducing new television channels to the digital service in 2011. Today we offer the public an opportunity to comment on the proposed new channels. We welcome all views.
- Eamon Ryan TD, Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources​

The consultation process runs from today until the 10th of December and the document is available from the Department of Communications website here.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Any chance the junior channel could be commercial free?
Marketing overpriced franchised toys and games to pre-school children is the most odious form of advertising.

ballot stuffer

If it involves giving that useless shower more public money they can get lost. RTÉ should not be spared from the austerity.

borntorum

I was unaware that either RTE or the exchequer generally is awash with cash to fund new services.

I'd rather that RTE concentrate on making high quality programming on the tv and radio stations they already have, rather than some half-baked notion of empire building

LowIQ

If it involves giving that useless shower more public money they can get lost. RTÉ should not be spared from the austerity.
+1
Sounds like another excuse to raise the license tax.

roc_

Can we fix the RTE we already have, first?

Personally, I think we ought to hand over the national airwaves to the young and the old, and purge all commercial interests and petty careerists out of it.

Eamon Ryan is basically talking about multiplication of the current RTE persona, no?

Let's face it - the messages that RTE currently inundates our society with, aren't particularly doing it much good in terms of our culture, natural character, social views and outlook etc. In fact, these messages are much closer to FF; green; banking; commercial; crony-neo-liberalesque propaganda.

darkhorse

Why should we allow RTE to expand in this way?
We need to encourage the private sector into this space and I would be much happier to see TV3 offering these services and getting a portion of the license fee. This would have the added advantage of supporting a competing service which would result in improved services all round.

Harmonica

All those services are just rerunning what they already provide. The News channel seems to be just a place to rerun all the current RTE news bulletins, same with the Junior channel.

Fix the current services first & ensure RTE are accountable for where they spend our money. 160 euro is too much for a broadcaster who also has commercial revenue.

deiseguy

Communications Minister Eamon Ryan has this morning announced that he's seeking the public's consultation on new proposed RTÉ channels to be launched.
Why the dead eyed zombie zealot isn't going to be there long enough to read the answers.:mad:

Newffowner

Great idea, if the objective is that these channels are run on a commercial basis, and the resulting profits are used to get rid of the TV tax, used to pay obscene salaries to ego driven civil servants .

Otherwise there's enough rigurgitated american crap on the telly

GDPR

I'd welcome a new channel so long as it's "reality TV show" free.

Just keep playing reeling in the years

Akrasia

Quality not quantity

If RTE pooled all it's resources, it could probably have enough quality programming to cover one 24 hour station.

I hate the idea of a channel dedicated to preschool programming because it enables people who use want to use the tv as a babysitter.

I have a 18 month old and he would watch tv for hours a day if he was allowed, and the temptation is always there to use the television as a babysitter when you can just stick on cbeebies whenever you like.

fenian john

we need a channel that shows what that shower are doing in the dail. the snippets of dail coverage we see on the news does not highlight the fact that most td,s dont sit in the dail chamber for more then 2 min

TradCat

agree keep tg4 sell of the rest
Yes I think TG4 is a special case and we should fund that one way or the other. But as for the rest it does nothing that the private sector couldn't do. If Fianna Fail want a TV station they should pay for it themselves. The bias, the misinformation and the agenda setting are well beyond a joke now.

Reeling in the Years, and The News. The odd, very odd documentary regarding our distant past, that's all I watch on RTE. The smug faces that have been there since Pontius was a Pilate turns me off, with their obscene salaries for limited talant, if any.

Anyway, when has any Minister wanted our opinion? Thinks this is going to make him "people friendly" does he, give him a chance in the GE? Hah!

Hewson

RTE need to put some thought and work into getting back to journalistic basics. They've forgotten how to, or can't be bothered, doing good investigative programmes any more. Prime Time Investigates sometimes shines a light into dark corners but for the most part all we get is press releases and limp commentary from its various correspondents. Lazy, lazy journalism. I'll never forget David Davin Power praising John O'Donoghue's self-indulgent resignation speech as 'one of the finest speeches heard in the House in some time.' Pathetic.

RTE has gotten fat and lazy over the years, its 'stars' are grossly overpaid for what talents they have and unless it fulfills its role as a real public service broadcaster it should be left to commercial stations to pick up the slack.

SlickWilly

TV3 and TG4 do great work on little money surely given more money to RTE clowns would be absurd!

FrankSpeaks

I would like to see far more regional content, for example, Munster News and Weather.

Popular Threads

Most Replies