What does religion contribute to society

Cruimh

The 'jesus' bit is not actually a forename. It is a translation of a title through Aramaic, Greek and Latin. My point is that the people here claiming all sorts for a dead agitator in Judea don't even know the forename or family name of the person they care claiming to speak for, or for whom they are claiming historical fact.

That's some realisation isn't it? The fanaticals here don't even know the name of the man they are claiming was some sort of messiah.
Isa ibn Maryam seems to be the real deal.

TheField

No great surprise that an abortion supporter such as yourself intends boycotting the papal visit.
You see that's difference between the likes of you and I.

I'm inclusive - the Pope is welcome to come but I wouldn't be bothered to go see him. Wouldn't dream of treading on your right to go see him though, if that's your wont.

You on the other hand would seek to have maintained your beliefs over the rest of us in terms of your personal morality.

Thankfully, there are more inclusive choice offering citizens than your type!

parentheses

The 'jesus' bit is not actually a forename. It is a translation of a title through Aramaic, Greek and Latin. My point is that the people here claiming all sorts for a dead agitator in Judea don't even know the forename or family name of the person they care claiming to speak for, or for whom they are claiming historical fact.

That's some realisation isn't it? The fanaticals here don't even know the name of the man they are claiming was some sort of messiah.
You are confused Lumpy

Jesus is a forename, it is a translation of "Joshua". You're probably confusing it with Christ, which is a title.

McTell

She's right. Roisin has no need to repeat herself. She is the only one on this thread who actually knows what God was thinking. Now how incredible is that!

No big deal. I know what dozens of Goddesses are thinking.

McTell

NaturalOnlyPlz

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm atheist but I think religion can be a wonderful thing. I have nothing but positive experiences and memories of religion. Some people seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder about it, especially the RCC. They just seem to have a LOT of hate and are toxic.

Religion brings a sense of community and belonging, a chance for meditation, a way to organize funerals and marriages and a way to think about and study ethics and morals. It brings tremendous comfort and support to old people and other vulnerable people in society. It used to inspire mass organization of giving such as forming the backbone of the educational institutions in Ireland. It has done so much good throughout the years. The OP says "do we have to have a law?", well the Roman Catholic Church for the most part allows you to discern what is right and wrong for yourself.

A part of me kind of wonders if maybe the church could allow and encourage people to take part while taking a sort of metaphorical interpretation of it. Of course this would be huge blasphemy to some of those who actually believe however, especially if they wanted to take part in church activities or even become a priest. I'm really not sure if religion will continue to survive unless they do something like this.

rainmaker

Administrator
Religion brings a sense of community and belonging, a chance for meditation, a way to organize funerals and marriages and a way to think about and study ethics and morals. It brings tremendous comfort and support to old people and other vulnerable people in society. It used to inspire mass organization of giving such as forming the backbone of the educational institutions in Ireland. It has done so much good throughout the years. The OP says "do we have to have a law?...
Nothing you have listed is unique to religion or religious people.
Roman Catholic Church for the most part allows you to discern what is right and wrong for yourself.
Er no - it really does not.

Dame_Enda

I have no problem with people having religious beliefs as long as they dont try to impose those beliefs on me.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'm atheist but I think religion can be a wonderful thing. I have nothing but positive experiences and memories of religion. Some people seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder about it, especially the RCC. They just seem to have a LOT of hate and are toxic.

Religion brings a sense of community and belonging, a chance for meditation, a way to organize funerals and marriages and a way to think about and study ethics and morals. It brings tremendous comfort and support to old people and other vulnerable people in society. It used to inspire mass organization of giving such as forming the backbone of the educational institutions in Ireland. It has done so much good throughout the years. The OP says "do we have to have a law?", well the Roman Catholic Church for the most part allows you to discern what is right and wrong for yourself.

A part of me kind of wonders if maybe the church could allow and encourage people to take part while taking a sort of metaphorical interpretation of it. Of course this would be huge blasphemy to some of those who actually believe however, especially if they wanted to take part in church activities or even become a priest. I'm really not sure if religion will continue to survive unless they do something like this.
The part in bold above is actually what happens, despite the priests seeing it as obedience to their interpretation. I'll give you an example. The vast majority of catholics are completely unaware that attending a church service is regarded as mandatory, and that it is also mandatory to accept that the priest turns bread and wine into flesh and blood. Putting aside the obvious references to cannibalism, the vast majority of catholics regard that as 'symbolic' whereas the catholic church insists it is a real magic trick that happens every week upon an agreed incantation being called out.

Does anyone see that claim as a bit weird? I do. It is like reading something from a newly identified tribe in the Amazon.

NaturalOnlyPlz

The part in bold above is actually what happens, despite the priests seeing it as obedience to their interpretation. I'll give you an example. The vast majority of catholics are completely unaware that attending a church service is regarded as mandatory, and that it is also mandatory to accept that the priest turns bread and wine into flesh and blood. Putting aside the obvious references to cannibalism, the vast majority of catholics regard that as 'symbolic' whereas the catholic church insists it is a real magic trick that happens every week upon an agreed incantation being called out.

Does anyone see that claim as a bit weird? I do. It is like reading something from a newly identified tribe in the Amazon.
They don't "insist it is a real magic trick", they insist it's the actual body and blood of Christ. Nobody's talking about "magic tricks". I don't find transubstantiation at all stranger than other supernatural religious beliefs.

I also find your claims that "the vast majority of Catholics don't know" Sunday mass is required or don't know that it's the literal body and blood of christ is false. Every Catholic knows those things. People in general tend to know the first things about their religion. I think you just made that up. You're just up on your pedestal sneering down on religious people, exactly the type of person I was talking about.

Dame_Enda

Well I suppose religious charities often help very desperate people in the Third World when governments find it politically inconvenient to do so. What I don't like though are when some very rightwing American ones use their missions to push for Uganda-style anti-gay laws.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Well I suppose religious charities often help very desperate people in the Third World when governments find it politically inconvenient to do so. What I don't like though are when some very rightwing American ones use their missions to push for Uganda-style anti-gay laws.
This is an urban legend.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Leaving out the Moral teachings ,What does religion contribute to society that we cannot obtain elsewhere?
Funerals.

Ardillaun

Last edited:
Last edited:
I’ve been a bit irritated by a few Catholic funerals I’ve attended in Canada where the departed was very much at the lapsed end of things and the mourners were a decidedly mixed crew on the religious front with many heathens present. We were treated to long and tedious sermons that had very little to do with the deceased. The Pentecostals are even worse, Holy God. By comparison, the Anglicans here have laid it on less thick and keep it relevant. Best of all are the United Church (Presbyterians among their number, for crying out loud!), a blessing in my community, offering their space for us to say goodbye to one of my Hindu relatives in a traditional ceremony in Sanskrit.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
They don't "insist it is a real magic trick", they insist it's the actual body and blood of Christ. Nobody's talking about "magic tricks". I don't find transubstantiation at all stranger than other supernatural religious beliefs.

I also find your claims that "the vast majority of Catholics don't know" Sunday mass is required or don't know that it's the literal body and blood of christ is false. Every Catholic knows those things. People in general tend to know the first things about their religion. I think you just made that up. You're just up on your pedestal sneering down on religious people, exactly the type of person I was talking about.
I can assure you I know more about the origins and strange claims made by catholicism than most parish priests do. I'd rather not have had to waste time in my brain on it.

But I keep seeing stupid claims made by people who think 'beliefs' are evidence of anything at all.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I’ve been a bit irritated by a few Catholic funerals I’ve attended
Probably much to do with the Priest. I have no time for priest-craft, popery and evangelical bull. My point is, a "thing" that secularism hasn't managed to improve upon is funerals. Irish ones at least.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There were some studies and surveys carried out by the Pew Foundation (not an atheist or secular organisation by the way) which actually revealed that the vast majority of self-described catholics were apparently unaware that that were obliged to attend mass once a week, and were obliged to view transubstantiation as real.

The vast majority assumed that the transubstantiation thing was symbolic. If you think about it means they are saner than their priests. Then again, most priests are well aware that they aren't converting bread to half-human flesh or wine to half-human blood either.

Why they keep insisting that is the case is more properly a matter for them and their flock to sort out among themselves. No one else is under any obligation to take note of their claims at all, any more than we should adjust our society based on the belief-needs of various Solomon islanders.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Probably much to do with the Priest. I have no time for priest-craft, popery and evangelical bull. My point is, a "thing" that secularism hasn't managed to improve upon is funerals. Irish ones at least.
Apologies for the lack of entertainment.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom