What does the DUP actually want? What is their ideal situation?

AhNowStop

At a certain time of year, I am Santa.
Sounds like you're about to be involved in the DUPs defense of Ian Og's latest "lobbying for cash/holidays" inquest ? :unsure:

"Seriously yer honour, a big fat man with a white beard and red suit paid for that holiday" :eek::( 😂

Well I suppose its either that or he could break down crying in the HoC again and ask for yet another chance :rolleyes:

raetsel

You obviously never listen to what they say.
Many times they have said they want the border to be as soft as possible.
But they are realistic enough to know that the border between the EU and a non-EU country can never be totally frictionless.
I'm afraid that you are utterly gullible if you believe that nonsense.
They are lying through their teeth.
After the disappearance, first of customs posts in 1993 and then army checkpoints after the end of the troubles, it created the mirage of a unified country and that made a lot of unionists insecure. In the midst of the worst recession in living memory, when he was cutting back on spending elsewhere in his department, UUP Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy squandered thousands of pounds on a vanity project, putting up entirely pointless signs saying "Welcome To Northern Ireland" at the border, to counter that impression. That's how deeply they feel about it.
A hard border is a bonus for people like that. Why otherwise would they support the commission of economic suicide?

Last edited:

recedite

Danny Kennedy squandered thousands of pounds on a vanity project, putting up entirely pointless signs saying "Welcome To Northern Ireland" at the border.
Been waiting a while now for somebody to answer the question " What have they done" ... if as you say, they want a hard border (despite them saying they don't).
So... they put up welcome signs for people coming from RoI!
Is that all you got?

raetsel

Been waiting a while now for somebody to answer the question " What have they done" ... if as you say, they want a hard border (despite them saying they don't).
So... they put up welcome signs for people coming from RoI!
Is that all you got?
:rolleyes:
You are dreadfully gullible. Those sort of people despise southerners and want nothing to do with you. They love nothing more than mass burnings of your flag on bonfires on the 11th of July.
They were not intended as "welcome signs" despite what they said, because that was not their purpose. They were demarcation indicators. Why on earth would a government minister cutting back on essential services like road repairs simultaneously squander thousands on entirely cosmetic road signs which served no conceivable function other than to re-emphasise the otherness of unionists from, and superiority to southerners, who Death Or Glory regularly refers to on these fora as "muck savages". The erection of those signs was an indicator of that sort of state of mind. If you look at DOG's recent posting history he has now even taken to slabbering about building a wall. They are in their element at the moment.

Last edited:

Mickeymac

I'm afraid that you are utterly gullible if you believe that nonsense.
They are lying through their teeth.
After the disappearance, first of Customs Posts in 1993 and then army checkpoints after the end of the troubles, it created the mirage of a unified country and that made a lot of unionists insecure. In the midst of the worst recession in living memory, when he was cutting back on spending elsewhere in his department, UUP Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy squandered thousands of pounds on a vanity project, putting up entirely pointless signs saying "Welcome To Northern Ireland" at the border, to counter that impression. That's how deeply they feel about it.
A hard border is a bonus for people like that. Why otherwise would they support the commission of economic suicide?

From memory Raetsel, I don't think those signs lasted longer than a few hours before sense prevailed and they were torn down by locals.(y)

raetsel

From memory Raetsel, I don't think those signs lasted longer than a few hours before sense prevailed and they were torn down by locals.(y)
The one on the Pettigo border crossing is still intact, but most were quickly vandalised.

Gin Soaked

Ha dont make me laugh .. the DUP never signed up to it and have been busy reneging on any & all of it ever since ..

and if you have a problem with me complaining about the DUPs misuse of the POC to maintain the status quo whilst thwarting equality & parity of esteem then you're obviously a fully fledged crackpot yourself..

The DUP deny parity of esteem to everyone but their own little 17th century knuckledragging circle .. but a special place in their heart is reserved for the Irish Catholic .. they cant abide us at all it seems so I'll point out their many & varied character flaws, incompetencies and alleged corruption at each & every opportunity .. for they deserve no better
My gut on the DUP aligns with yours.

They never really signed up to the GFA. Paisley was forced to become first minister and as long as there was a strong govt with a coherent majority in Westminster, he had to tread water. He lived his life too long as a bigot and his church and party could not be expected to be any more moderate. Hence Arlene and co. winning when May ended up with them holding power.

That for me is a mortal blow to the GFA. Unless we have the backstop. No backstop, no GFA. Its death will be pronounced when disso filth attack customs posts.

So unless we crush the dissos, until a border poll, it will die.

Now. Post border poll, there will be a problem of how to implement reunification. And that will be long and slow and expensive.

Gin Soaked

What do the DUP want? They want a hard border.
With that, brings security forces and pre GFA N.I. and no Assembly. So unless the shinners take seats in Westminster, no nationalist mandate. That is perfect for them.

If that comes to pass, Teresa May's courting of the DUP will be judged more morally bankrupt than Cameron's referendum.

Pyewacket

With that, brings security forces and pre GFA N.I. and no Assembly. So unless the shinners take seats in Westminster, no nationalist mandate. That is perfect for them.

If that comes to pass, Teresa May's courting of the DUP will be judged more morally bankrupt than Cameron's referendum.
Remember the DUP were against the GFA and did not take their seats at Stormont until they were bought off by the St Andrews Agreement.

They are basically irredentist.

recedite

Its all a bit strange. If the French put up "Bienvenue/Welcome to France" signs on the border with Germany would you say that was evidence for them wanting a hard border?
Obviously the DUP are not in favour of a UI, but they still want prosperity and peaceful cross-border trade.

Mickeymac

Its all a bit strange. If the French put up "Bienvenue/Welcome to France" signs on the border with Germany would you say that was evidence for them wanting a hard border?
Obviously the DUP are not in favour of a UI, but they still want prosperity and peaceful cross-border trade.

Apples and Oranges pal, read up some please about the border imposed by Britain in Ireland which most people call partition.

Newrybhoy

:rolleyes:
You are dreadfully gullible. Those sort of people despise southerners and want nothing to do with you. They love nothing more than mass burnings of your flag on bonfires on the 11th of July.
They were not intended as "welcome signs" despite what they said, because that was not their purpose. They were demarcation indicators. Why on earth would a government minister cutting back on essential services like road repairs simultaneously squander thousands on entirely cosmetic road signs which served no conceivable function other than to re-emphasise the otherness of unionists from, and superiority to southerners, who Death Or Glory regularly refers to on these fora as "muck savages". The erection of those signs was an indicator of that sort of state of mind. If you look at DOG's recent posting history he has now even taken to slabbering about building a wall. They are in their element at the moment.
I take it you object to Irish language signs being put up by councils and writing on vans and public buildings.

A language few understand and serves no purpose but to intimidate unionists.

Newrybhoy

Hard to believe there are folk out there who believe a guy who was sacked from two jobs for lying and is now PM of UK.

Amazing stuff. 😁
Hard to believe that a guy who allowed 6 of his companies to go bankrupt is now the President of the US.

Amazing stuff. 😀

McSlaggart

I take it you object to Irish language signs being put up by councils and writing on vans and public buildings.

A language few understand and serves no purpose but to intimidate unionists.
How do you cope in Wales when they speak Welsh?

Newrybhoy

How do you cope in Wales when they speak Welsh?
People in areas of Wales actually speak Welsh.

That's fair enough. Not 1% of NI's population speak Irish as their daily language.

Therefore it is pure tokenism to plaster it everywhere.

However we were talking about people being so offended by Welcome to Northern Ireland signs that they had to destroy them, not Welsh.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies