What does the DUP actually want? What is their ideal situation?

belcoo666

People in areas of Wales actually speak Welsh.

That's fair enough. Not 1% of NI's population speak Irish as their daily language.

Therefore it is pure tokenism to plaster it everywhere.

However we were talking about people being so offended by Welcome to Northern Ireland signs that they had to destroy them, not Welsh.
Wales was not invaded and had its native people evicted and murdered . Tick tock tick tock get on with your packing , we have not forgiven or forgotten

McSlaggart

People in areas of Wales actually speak Welsh.

That's fair enough. Not 1% of NI's population speak Irish as their daily language.

Therefore it is pure tokenism to plaster it everywhere.
Now you may not like the fact that Irish is given protection in law but that is how it is. In places such as Tyrone in which you would have a concentration of people who use the language their is even greater need to put the language into the public space.

The strange part in is not the use of the language but unionist reaction to it.

AhNowStop

My gut on the DUP aligns with yours.

They never really signed up to the GFA. Paisley was forced to become first minister and as long as there was a strong govt with a coherent majority in Westminster, he had to tread water. He lived his life too long as a bigot and his church and party could not be expected to be any more moderate. Hence Arlene and co. winning when May ended up with them holding power.

That for me is a mortal blow to the GFA. Unless we have the backstop. No backstop, no GFA. Its death will be pronounced when disso filth attack customs posts.

So unless we crush the dissos, until a border poll, it will die.

Now. Post border poll, there will be a problem of how to implement reunification. And that will be long and slow and expensive.
Yep, the Dissos are actually playing into the hands of the DUP and the likes.... As well as causing untold havoc & misery if they dont fuk off, they will only prolong the status quo..

but certainly a hard border is the last thing we all need but the DUP feckers want it and no mistake .. any gobsh1te who says otherwise is either a gullible fool or a liar.

Last edited:

raetsel

I take it you object to Irish language signs being put up by councils and writing on vans and public buildings.

A language few understand and serves no purpose but to intimidate unionists.
I have not objected to the "Welcome to NI" signs. I simply pointed out that they helped to explain your siege mentality. :)

between the bridges

I have not objected to the "Welcome to NI" signs. I simply pointed out that they helped to explain your siege mentality. :)
Indeed, sure in fact ye made it abundantly clear that ye have absolutely no problem with signs welcoming people to NI...

, UUP Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy squandered thousands of pounds on a vanity project, putting up entirely pointless signs saying "Welcome To Northern Ireland" at the border,

editorial-use-only-bullet-holes-260nw-583697467.jpg

Last edited:

raetsel

Indeed, sure in fact ye made it abundantly clear that ye have absolutely no problem with signs welcoming people to NI...
You're rather wanting in the comprehension department, Miss Marple. One doesn't follow from the other. Pointing out that it was a pointless waste of money does not mean that it bothers me. I accept these thing with weary resignation and roll my eyes, but do they upset me? If they did I'd have emigrated years ago. We live in an entirely dysfunctional society, and I've long come to accept that. It couldn't be any other way, considering that the NI state was a sectarian construct from the beginning.

between the bridges

You're rather wanting in the comprehension department, Miss Marple. One doesn't follow from the other. Pointing out that it was a pointless waste of money does not mean that it bothers me. I accept these thing with weary resignation and roll my eyes, but do they upset me? If they did I'd have emigrated years ago. We live in an entirely dysfunctional society, and I've long come to accept that. It couldn't be any other way, considering that the NI state was a sectarian construct from the beginning.
Indeed yer so nat bothered about signs welcoming people to NI that ye never stop whinging about them and constantly bring them in to discussions.. DUH...

raetsel

Indeed yer so nat bothered about signs welcoming people to NI that ye never stop whinging about them and constantly bring them in to discussions.. DUH...
They are relevant because they are a modern day visual metaphor for hard line unionism's siege mentality in the same way as Derry's wall's were, and to some extent still are.

between the bridges

They are relevant because they are a modern day visual metaphor for hard line unionism's siege mentality in the same way as Derry's wall's were, and to some extent still are.
Tell us the wan about thon welcome to NI sign's nat bothering ye...

belcoo666

Hard to believe that a guy who allowed 6 of his companies to go bankrupt is now the President of the US.

Amazing stuff. 😀
You've got lots of time to think sitting in your free house waiting for your benefits.
Dont have your problems old son , speaking of lots of time how much time do you spend here every day ? Obviously nothing else to do or capable of nothing else , isn't that so Ivan ?

Pyewacket

I still remember the top three excuses for why the welcome to NI signs were necessary, and they were genuinely given by genuine Unionists.

1. Tourists might not realise the distances on road signs were now in miles not kilometres.

2. Tourists might not realise roaming charges would apply to their mobile phones once they crossed the Border.

3. Tourists might not be able to find the Border if they wanted to take a photo of themselves crossing the Border.

Mickeymac

:ROFLMAO:
Hard to believe that a guy who allowed 6 of his companies to go bankrupt is now the President of the US.

Amazing stuff. 😀

Difference between the two clowns is, one had a mandate from the people of the US to be POTUS and the other clown had no such mandate....got it now dunder?:ROFLMAO:

Newrybhoy

:ROFLMAO:

Difference between the two clowns is, one had a mandate from the people of the US to be POTUS and the other clown had no such mandate....got it now dunder?:ROFLMAO:
I though that more people voted for the corrupt Clinton?

Newrybhoy

Dont have your problems old son , speaking of lots of time how much time do you spend here every day ? Obviously nothing else to do or capable of nothing else , isn't that so Ivan ?
That truth hit you hard, didn't it?

That's just life for an Irish republican though isn't it?

The whole SF leadership were on the dole before being elected, weren't they?

Mickeymac

I though that more people voted for the corrupt Clinton?

Pi$$ poor deflection yet again from our usual suspect, admit you made an idiot of yourself by not knowing Johnstone had no electorate mandate from the British public to crown himself as PM. :LOL:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies