What does the DUP actually want? What is their ideal situation?

Newrybhoy

Pi$$ poor deflection yet again from our usual suspect, admit you made an idiot of yourself by not knowing Johnstone had no electorate mandate from the British public to crown himself as PM. :LOL:
Of course he has s mandate you thick plastic.

The winning party chooses the PM, not the electorate.

Mickeymac

Of course he has s mandate you thick plastic.

The winning party chooses the PM, not the electorate.

You obviously have not a clue what a mandate is, Johnstone was picked leader by the membership of the Tory party which represents 0.2% of the Brit public, how come you don't understand such simple stats?

Newrybhoy

You obviously have not a clue what a mandate is, Johnstone was picked leader by the membership of the Tory party which represents 0.2% of the Brit public, how come you don't understand such simple stats?
Who picked Jeremy Corbyn to be leader of Labour?

Who picked Mary Lou to be leader of SF?

Does any political party in the World allow non members to pick its leader?

Poor Tommy, clueless as usual.

Cobbler91

With the current debates I am pretty stumped about what the DUP would want. Their positions on different issues seem to contradict each other.

Importantly this is about working out what *they* want, not what anyone else wants. So if I write that something "seems feasible" it does not mean it seems desirable to me; I am neither a Unionist nor socially conservative, they are. Please don't shoot the messenger (or the observer). With this caveat...

I can see two possible ultimate aims, both seem feasible, but the policies don't fit either fully.

One aim: "Ulster is British" and that is that. "As British as Finchley", they used to say. This aim would explain why they oppose the backstop - as the backstop does imply that Northern Ireland is different from the rest of the UK, and arguably creates someting akin to a border in the Irish Sea.

But there's something one needs to know about Finchley. Its current MP, occupying Thatcher's seat (though borders were somewhat redrawn), is Mike Freer. A Tory all right. Also married to another man. If you want "as British as Finchley". then you want the same law as Finchley has, passed by the same Parliament and promulgated by the same Queen. This includes law on marriage and, at least in general, on abortion. (There is significant wiggle room in interpreting British abortion law, you can have rather significant gatekeeping, but not the current near-total ban).

So if they want "as British as Finchley" then their stance on recent Westminster legistation is completely counterproductive!

There is another possible endgame. They could want a socially conservative region under Her Majesty. A kind of 1920s Free State, which still had the oath of allegiance while becoming decidedly more conservative than Britain was. And this looks even more feasible! Conservative Northern Catholics, repelled by Sinn Fein policies, could rally to the cause. Moreover, "Southern" social conservatives of all religions are reeling from three referendum losses in four years - and could possibly be attracted to the North. While the sectarian Unionist majority is very slim, a conservative majority could be copperfastened, removing any threat of a border poll "going wrong" for the DUP.

But in this case, why protest the backstop? If you want to ensure a legal system different from both London and Dublin, you want a special status different from both London and Dublin - and the backstop brings that on a platter. One could even envision a deeper route here, to the eventual point of a Crown Dependency of Northern Ireland (on the Guernsey blueprint). A conservative impetus could, with enough diplomatic work, help override sectarian concerns, especially with bishops and pastors (and Orange grand masters) of that conviction working together.

So anyway: they can want full British law or they can want a socially conservative devolved region. Either looks feasible. But different pathways lead to these outcomes and their actual policies seem divided between the pathways. Which, to me, makes no sense whatsoever.

Enlighten me please?
Coming from a mainland Brit (and a right wing one at that), the DUP make Ulster Unionists very hard to like even though one wants to. If they started campaigning on the mainland, nobody would vote for them as they'd be seen as nutjobs.

EnglishObserver

Coming from a mainland Brit (and a right wing one at that), the DUP make Ulster Unionists very hard to like even though one wants to. If they started campaigning on the mainland, nobody would vote for them as they'd be seen as nutjobs.
Which of the DUP policies don't you like (speaking as a 'right wing' Brit)?

By the way old bean elections in the longer term tend to be determined by access to vast amounts of cash. Give The DUP tens of millions in a general election and you might be surprised by how well they might do on the old mainland.

Q-Tours

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

The DUP and SF are two sides of the same coin - the DUP want to remain in the UK regardless of the negative and possibly disastrous impact this might have - SF want a UI regardless of the negative and possibly disastrous impact this might have

Now just wait for MM to call me obsessed, again.

Mickeymac

The DUP and SF are two sides of the same coin - the DUP want to remain in the UK regardless of the negative and possibly disastrous impact this might have - SF want a UI regardless of the negative and possibly disastrous impact this might have

Now just wait for MM to call me obsessed, again.

You certainly don't need me to highlight where your obsessions lie, regular posters can see that for themselves by just reading your contributions.;)

You certainly don't need me to highlight where your obsessions lie, regular posters can see that for themselves by just reading your contributions.;)
I remind you, you are not my pal

If I don't need you to highlight where my "Obsessions lie" why do you do it in every single response to my posts - You even followed me to another thread where I had put up ONE post - this in your opinion showed that I had found another obsession

Mickeymac

I remind you, you are not my pal

If I don't need you to highlight where my "Obsessions lie" why do you do it in every single response to my posts - You even followed me to another thread where I had put up ONE post - this in your opinion showed that I had found another obsession

All in your head pal, obsessives do not interest me at all, check out my ex girlfriends pal.:ROFLMAO: never know, you all may have something in common.

Maybe you need to read all 91 posts on the thread to keep pace pal.

On any DUP thread or discussion it would be very unlikely to see the omission of the ol "dark money" …...got it now?
Have you actually checked this claim as part of your extensive research

“I am very well read up on conflict on the North and have researched using those involved from all protaganists.”

All in your head pal, obsessives do not interest me at all, check out my ex girlfriends pal.:ROFLMAO: never know, you all may have something in common.
Again I am not your pal. What your ex-girlfriends have to do with it is beyond me

Try put up a post without using the word Obsessed or any derivative

Practically every single post that challenges you gets a response with the word obsessed - ex girlfriends, lucky escape for them

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies