What does the pathetic state of the Irish economy mean for Irish Unity?

Portstewart

Is Irish Unity a complete right off now for a generation at least given ROI's hopeless financial situation?

SevenStars

Is Irish Unity a complete right off now for a generation at least given ROI's hopeless financial situation?
Nothing.

Irish unity will only be achieved through a social revolution.

SevenStars

How do you envisage that happening SS?
Through the destruction of the two states imposed on this nation by British Imperialism for a starters....;)

SevenStars

But what if that aint happening, jeez you're a scream SS. petunia
If that doesnt happen any re-unification would be a hallow victory.

Portstewart

If that doesnt happen any re-unification would be a hallow victory.
The only way (in the real world) it will happen is if the influential wealthy people on both sides agree it's a goer.

It will be the EU that unites Ireland imho.

picador

The only way (in the real world) it will happen is if the influential wealthy people on both sides agree it's a goer.

It will be the EU that unites Ireland imho.
Influential wealthy people are the very people responsible for ruininig the country. Most are opposed to national unity in any case.

SevenStars

Yep, the country is ruined.
Ruined is a strong word Pic....The Free State is FAR from being Moldavia or Serbia...Or even Greece....And its extremely far from being Haiti...

Not being able to be flashy doesnt equal ruined.

picador

Ruined is a strong word Pic....The Free State is FAR from being Moldavia or Serbia...Or even Greece....And its extremely far from being Haiti...

If these boneheads insist on bailing out the AIB bondholders the country will be screwed for the next twenty years - by which time what's left of our youth will probabaly be migrating to Moldova.

damon

Gosh - I agree with SevenStars. I remember Wexford and Waterford in the 1970s.
That was real Ireland from my memory.
Where ''PJ'' the postman rode one of these up to the farmhouse of a morning.
And had a chat and maybe a cup of tea.

oboe

Gosh - I agree with SevenStars. I remember Wexford and Waterford in the 1970s.
That was real Ireland from my memory.
Where ''PJ'' the postman rode one of these up to the farmhouse of a morning.
And had a chat and maybe a cup of tea.

When the Tories slash their way through the NI expenditure the Royal Mail could dream of driving one of these.

weepee

I cant see the connection between the financial status of the Republic, and unity. There was no mad rush to unify the island during the Celtic Tiger years, and Ireland will never have it so good again.

Unity will take place in around 100 years time, as Unionism retreats east. It can be clearly seen already happening in Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, south Down and south Armagh, even the city of Belfast is becoming a nationalist majority.

Antrim

Northern Ireland is slowly becoming a more secular society. As the people become more liberal the old divisions will start to fade away. It’s already happening. All the bitterness and dredging up of the past will have to go from our society. Only then when NI is a liberal-secular society will there ever be a United Ireland. I don’t see this happening overnight, it could take up to 50 years. The biggest problems to this, in my opinion, is divided housing and divided education.

factual

Sinn Féin have a campaign for a United Ireland.

There is a section of the website devoted to it: Unite Ireland | Sinn Féin

Watch this space!

Without being partisan, I would argue that of all the main political parties, Sinn Féin is the one with the greatest commitment to Irish unity.

Antrim

Watch this space!

Without being partisan, I would argue that of all the main political parties, Sinn Féin is the one with the greatest commitment to Irish unity.
The main problem with Sinn Fein is that they antagonize the Unionists. They are not good at building bridges but then neither are the Unionists. If you want a united Ireland then you need to make the Protestants of NI feel Irish again. They don’t even need to fully embrace Irish Language, sports or culture but they need to feel that it is not a threat to them.

They need to not care. The same way that I don’t care if someone speaks French or not. The same way I don’t care if someone plays golf or not. The same way as I don’t care if someone does ballet dancing or not.

If Unionist think nothing of someone playing GAA or speaking the Irish language then we will have cracked it.

Garza

They don’t even need to fully embrace Irish Language, sports or culture but they need to feel that it is not a threat to them.
Not a threat to me I can assure you. As a unionist I've watched GAA games. Even some catholics, who are culturally Irish are unionist.
They need to not care. The same way that I don’t care if someone speaks French or not. The same way I don’t care if someone plays golf or not. The same way as I don’t care if someone does ballet dancing or not.
People who don't care always usually side with the status quo.
If Unionist think nothing of someone playing GAA or speaking the Irish language then we will have cracked it.
I would say quite alot of unionist think that, but we are still unionists.

Garza

Watch this space!

Building a United Ireland (Page under construction)?? :lol:petunia

Garza

Before this recession I would have said the earliest their would be a UI would be 30 years if it happened at all.

Now I would say 60-75 years at least - is it indeed happens, which is no guarantee. I never got this thing that a UI is "inevitable", nothing ever is inevitable. Everyone should prepare not to see a UI within their lifetimes in my opinion.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies