What does the picture say?

HST

On front page of The Irish Times today is a truly telling photograph, one of the best in a long time.

Ronan O' Gara; face to face with Queen Elizabeth, hands in his pockets as over her shoulder Brian O' Driscoll covers his face with one hand.

The Indo has a wider angled photograph taken moments afterward. The Queen has moved on in the line. Ronan O' Gara still has his hands in his pockets.

So it's safe to assume that sometime after they shook hands his disappeared into his trousers. Where they were as she made her way toward him would be interesting to know.

Is it also safe to assume O' Gara's casual stance was representative of another stance? A picture tells a thousands words, but sometimes it's difficult to discern what those words are.

G

Gimpanzee

'We recognise you. You're the gentleman who threw that faaabulous pass to Brian at the weekend aren't you'.

ROG just looks like Fr Damo. Bet he told her "you're not the boss of me."

Last edited:

TradCat

It was wrong for the Irish team to meet the queen. It is not the same as the ulster players meeting the President. Her presence in Ireland is an assertion of British rule which is disputed. It is disputed by peaceful and democratic means but it is disputed.

Irish rule in the south is not disputed so there is no issue.

Likewise if the Queen greeted the players before a match in England there would be no issue. But she has no business meeting them here. Nor they her. A shameful end to a great season.

meriwether2

'We recognise you. You're the gentleman who threw that faaabulous pass to Brian at the weekend aren't you'.
The Queen then continued:

[adopt a queenie voice]

'You really fukked up your lions chance, didn't you Rog? I say, its a bloody good thing we're bringing Stephen Jones.
Charles was telling me he's simply marvellous. And Charles should know, being his prince after all.
Now, where's that Quinlan fellow? Keep him away from me'.

na Gopaleen

Good on ya Rog.
She should have had the decency to remove her glove when shaking hands.
Maybe she was worried about catching Irish famine flu???

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49

This deserves a caption but I can't think of one!

HST

Caption: 'I'll sell it to ye, six counties for the silverware'

Libero

Her Majesty The Queen (for it is She): “Young man! Why do you have your hands in your pockets?”

Ronan O’Gara: “It’s a bit embarrassing, ma’am.”

Queen: “Do tell. I beseech thee”.

ROG: “Them Leinster lads in the team, like. They tied me down in the hotel last night, for a laugh, like.”

Queen: “And…”

ROG: “They put blue paint on my… on my nether-regions, because of the match.”

Queen: “I see. Does it hurt?”

ROG: “It does a bit. Instead of paint, I wished they dipped my mickey in dye.”

Queen: “Like Will Carling?”

Corkie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdsTh2oP6o]YouTube - Ireland Vs England Mary McAleese Vs Martin Johnson 2003[/ame]

Maybe the Martin Johnson incident in Landsdowne was on the back of his mind....

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Ronan O’Gara: 'Excuse me, Ma'am, I couldn't help wondering how on earth anyone could get into such a tight dress.'

the Queen: 'Well, young man, you could start by buying me a vodka Martini.'

Phinaeus

Just because Johnson displayed incredible petulance and discourtesy to our President doesn't justify similar behaviour from our players. Personally, I'd have no interest in meeting Queenie or any other member of the so-called British Royals - an inbred bunch of big-eared, big-nosed scroungers if ever I saw one. However, if ROG didn't want to meet her then he was perfectly free to stay at home instead of going along and then behaving like a sulky teenager.

MsAnneThrope

Just because Johnson displayed incredible petulance and discourtesy to our President doesn't justify similar behaviour from our players.... However, if ROG didn't want to meet her then he was perfectly free to stay at home instead of going along and then behaving like a sulky teenager.
I agree 100%. If he thinks that makes us 'quits' over the Johnson incident he is very immature

Corkie

I agree 100%. If he thinks that makes us 'quits' over the Johnson incident he is very immature
Couldn't agree with ye more folks. It was just a thought I had when I saw the picture. It's extremely disrespectful from O Gara to display such disinterest.

Ulster-Lad

In in answer to the OP, it says I have absolutely no respect for you.

Well done ROG.

Brenny

if ROG didn't want to meet her then he was perfectly free to stay at home instead of going along and then behaving like a sulky teenager.
Actually as a professional rugby player contracted by the IRFU he doesn't really have that choice. I've no doubt that it's in his contract somewhere that if the IRFU blazers decide he has to meet the Queen, then he has to meet the Queen.

In fairness lads, ye have to remember that this Irish team encompasses players from two countries. The Ulster lads met with Mary McAleese so the rest of the lads have to meet with the Sovereign of Northern Ireland. Fair's fair. I can't say I like it but I certainly prefer the current situation to the soccer situation where there are two separate international teams on the island.

noodles

It was wrong for the Irish team to meet the queen. It is not the same as the ulster players meeting the President. Her presence in Ireland is an assertion of British rule which is disputed. It is disputed by peaceful and democratic means but it is disputed.

Irish rule in the south is not disputed so there is no issue.

Likewise if the Queen greeted the players before a match in England there would be no issue. But she has no business meeting them here. Nor they her. A shameful end to a great season.
Have you finished your cave paintings already? Get the fire lit we are having roasted mammoth at the neanderthal howdown tonight, dont be late you are the chief.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies