• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

What EU law has most affected your life, either negatively or positively?

sondagefaux

Lots of discussion about the EU centres on the very significant effects it has had generally on the member-states, especially on their economic policies.

It could be interesting to focus the discussion at a more personal level.

What EU law has most affected your life, either negatively or positively?

Perhaps you're a fisherman who's been affected by regulations brought out under the Common Fisheries Policy, or a student who's been affected by EU law on freedom of movement.

Citation of the specific laws, with links where possible, would be great.

ruserious

The CFP as a positive.
The EU Student Grant as a positive.
Saddling my generations future with debt as a negative.

Mercurial

As an Irish student studying abroad in an EU country, not having to pay double my current fees is neat.

LiberalFG

Twitter
@dmvmurphy
They forced all the mobile phone manufacturers to produce phone chargers with the same shaped adapter or whatever it's called. Best decision ever.

jpc

Allowing food produced outside of Ireland to be legally called product of Ireland when a small bit of processing is done.

firefly123

Some nice EU law myths here. Some of the are hilarious and no doubt lapped up as gospel by some on here....
Myths and Rumours debunked

Personal favourites.
Butchers banned from giving dogs a bone
Eggs must be personally identified to the hen that laid it
The Euro causes skin disease and makes men impotent
Pigs must be given toys
And finally...
EU insist climbers must use scaffolding when on mountains!

Astral Peaks

The following, in no particular order, have improved ALL our lives.

1. Council Directive 85/337/EEC of 27 June 1985. Requiring EIAs for public projects.

2. RoHS directive ensured that another Seveso was unlikely.

3. Council Directive 85/374/EEC of 25 July 1985. product liability directive forced producers to take responsibility for faulty products.

4. Council Directive 92/43/EEC on the Conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora, for the first time states were forced to protect our natural landscape.

Those are just 4 that I think have made a great difference.

D

Dylan2010

CAP, fishing and structural funds and the Euro the worst, all of which fueled corruption and waste. Free travel and open markets the best.

Analyzer

The Bank bondholders.

Tin Foil Hat

Implementing the Euro.
An absolute disaster of a decision that will follow us all for the rest of our days.

imokyrok

The laws that impacted me personally were the ones that brought about equal pay for women and anti sexual harassment and discrimination. Being paid less than the guy who was in my year in college for precisely the same work and having to put up with a betting pool on who would 'shift' me first and dolly parton comments in meetings thankfully became a thing of the past.

Working in the area of disability meant that I personally saw the benefits that anti discrimination laws meant there too and indeed the difference European Social Funding meant - basically transforming facilities from Dickensian cruel workshops to the excellent training facilities and community projects that emerged in the 90's.

There are many other laws and input from membership that I appreciate such as those addressing LBGT rights but the OP asked for those effecting us personally.

firefly123

Forcing Ireland to introduce legislation protecting workers right and safety. Getting rid of the marriage bar that existed in this country up until the 1970's. Paying a lot of money to improve our road network thereby saving thousands of lives.

stopdoingstuff

Directive 2004/38/EC- I have worked and roamed across Europe thanks to this formulation of rights originally set forth in the Treaty of Rome.

On the negative, there was the part where my vote ceased to count, where we were used as financial cannon-fodder to stop the spread of Euro-contagion, and the part where were placed under the unaccountable financial dictatorship known as the ESM.

imback

Not really a rule, but I find the Euro very useful.

They also put the phone companies under some pressure to reduce roaming rates.

The cookies directive is rather silly in my opinion.

Howya

They forced all the mobile phone manufacturers to produce phone chargers with the same shaped adapter or whatever it's called. Best decision ever.
....except Apple still insist on their own design for the charger:mad:

Howya

Implementing the Euro.
An absolute disaster of a decision that will follow us all for the rest of our days.
Implementing the euro without creating a true lender of last resort.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies