• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What ever happened to Fine Gael's no pairing idea?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Have they quietly dropped it?
The stakes are raised, a lot of people would prefer an election, and not just on the opposition side of the house.

FG could still be on to a winner with this, if they pitch it right.
No more pairing for Bertie Ahern, ever.
No more pairing for Jim McDaid, ever.

Maybe some of you could add to this list? Regular absentees?

Ok let important ministerial meetings go ahead.
Let seriously ill people be paired.
But FF have to plead the case for these, person by person, division by division.
The way things are going, this action would hasten an election.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The stakes are raised, a lot of people would prefer an election, and not just on the opposition side of the house.

But FF have to plead the case for these, person by person, division by division.
Sounds very reasonable.

They'll have to be a lot more careful how they present it this time out.

They got hammered when this thing was first mooted.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
They did get hammered even though they held the best hand of cards around the table.
I hear they have a new communications team.

turdsl

Kenny was right from the start, Quinn undermined him and the anti Enda Press did the rest. We have seen over the weekend that the Greens have brought more instability to our country,Cowen will have to try and straighten things today if he is able. They are able to governor not.

gijoe

I suspect that FG have copped on that this policy could provoke an early election that would leave them, as possibly a Junior party to Labour in government, being the one's instead of FF to deliver about €10billion of bad news in the next two budgets.

Rocky

No as far as I'm aware there has been no change of strategy. There just hasn't been any controversy about it and so sadly no media attention.

Toland

Website
Kenny was right from the start, Quinn undermined him and the anti Enda Press did the rest. We have seen over the weekend that the Greens have brought more instability to our country,Cowen will have to try and straighten things today if he is able. They are able to governor not.
I think Kenny would have been far better off thinking out the strategy and how to present it before he went off on it. Consulting Gilmore/Quinn beforehand would have been a good way of preventing being knifed by either of them.

I'm getting sick of this anti Enda press stuff. There is no conspiracy. The problem is (at least mostly) bad presentation. For FG at least.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I suspect that FG have copped on that this policy could provoke an early election that would leave them, as possibly a Junior party to Labour in government, being the one's instead of FF to deliver about €10billion of bad news in the next two budgets.
It's only going to get worse.
Labour need to organise and get quality candidates.
To go now would catch them on the hop. There would be a "Gilmore gale" ok but only a category 3.
Right now, I'd say FG would still be the largest party in TDs, even if Labour got a bigger share of the vote.

hiding behind a poster

FG don't provide a pair for Bertie Ahern, and Jim McDaid is outside the FF Parliamentary Party, so he can't get paired either.

Grumpy Jack

Kenny said FG would only pair for important national business, EU meetings and illness.

That only affects ministers and three backbench FF TDs who have serious illnesses.

Bertie Ahern and Jimmy McDaid fall into none of those categories.

Don't see what more FG can do on this.

It was Labour who paired Coughlan for her St Louis trip - after FG refused.

Kenny took a principled stance on this, Quinn and Gilmore undermined him and the media went along with them and trampled over Enda.

Toland

Website
Kenny said FG would only pair for important national business, EU meetings and illness.

That only affects ministers and three backbench FF TDs who have serious illnesses.

Bertie Ahern and Jimmy McDaid fall into none of those categories.

Don't see what more FG can do on this.

It was Labour who paired Coughlan for her St Louis trip - after FG refused.

Kenny took a principled stance on this, Quinn and Gilmore undermined him and the media went along with them and trampled over Enda.
Shouldn't he have consulted with Labour? It would have saved him a drubbing.

Grumpy Jack

Shouldn't he have consulted with Labour? It would have saved him a drubbing.
Why? What would that have achieved? Quinn went on a solo run on national radio and was then backed by Gilmore.

And it's hardly Kenny and FG's fault that Labour put populist stunts before principled stands.

anewbeginning

Like most ideas in Ireland, the public were demanding it and crying out for it, and when it's put into action, everyone says it's silly. You just cannot win with the Irish people.

Hewson

FG don't provide a pair for Bertie Ahern, and Jim McDaid is outside the FF Parliamentary Party, so he can't get paired either.
Send him over to me and I'll sew on a new pair for him. I'll find knitting needles somewhere.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm thinking there is going to be an election soon, and if Fine Gael have any cop-on they could be seen to bring it about.
They could be agressive about pairing.
No more "Mickey Joe is on a fact-finding mission to Barbados". That's not the same thing as an EU summit.
No more "Seamus has a bit of an oul cold". That should not be treated the same way as a seriously ill person.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Why? What would that have achieved? Quinn went on a solo run on national radio and was then backed by Gilmore.

And it's hardly Kenny and FG's fault that Labour put populist stunts before principled stands.
This comes down to Labour having a better PR and media team than Fine Gael.
Seriously, Fine Gael come across shoddy. Can't they afford decent professionals? Do they not know how the media works?