• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What evidence have you seen of economic revival in the Christmas sales?

TommyO'Brien

Shop-keepers have suggested that sales this Christmas period were the best in five years.

I had noticed the same thing myself. I did my Christmas shopping over this weekend and was really surprised at the amount of business being done. It was on a scale I had not seen in a number of years. I went to a restaurant last night and was surprised to find that it quickly filled up. I haven't seen full restaurants for quite a while.

A lot of businesses stayed open long after normal closing time last night in Dublin. I was able to go into one shop at 7pm though it was supposed to close at six, and at 7pm there were queues at the tills. The same thing happened in a bookshop where the manager said they planned to stay open as long as the crowds kept flocking in - and they did.

Toy shops had long queues and lots of items entirely sold out. That was not the case on the same day last year when I was in there.

The bus this evening at 7pm was full of shoppers with bags.

Is the same happening in rural towns as has been happening in Dublin?

I am rather surprised at the sudden high level of buying this Christmas. It suggests a growth in consumer confidence.

linny55

Lots of people have money but dont have any confidence in our Govts . past and present. Rainy day scenario.

flavirostris

City Centre Pubs doing well this year. All the places between Grafton St & Georges St were packed over the last couple of weekends. I noticed some of the week nights were quite busy as well.

cabledude

A lot of this could be put down to people letting their hair down for one last time before we start paying Property Taxes and the like. I have noticed this shopping season as being a lot busier than last. We did the bulk of our grocery shopping yesterday and town was jammers. I hear the same of today.

johnny365

Its juts a case of people being sensible and giving up nights out etc and saving for Christmas. Their will be a one or maybe two week surge then business will be terrible in January. Their is no consumer confidence.

jmcc

You must be reaching the bottom of the barrel for FG cheerleading at this stage, Tommy,
People buy stuff at Christmas. To mistake that general trend for an economic upturn is something that the school teachers Noonan or that school teacher Enda Kenny would do. Do they buy Feta cheese too? Are they going mad?

L

longshortgrass

Local shopping centre GIANT car park was full this pm...never seen it happen before.

james toney

Jesus wept,more people go shopping at Christmas shocker.

dresden8

Since Inda became our glorious leader it seems that the pope is more catholic and more bears are sh1tting in woods.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Three things:

1. Lots of higher earners or people with low debt levels have been largely untouched by the recession (particularly over the last two years) and no longer feel awkward being seen to spend money;

2. Cash is beginning to circulate as a result of activity in the black economy; and

3. Moral hazard. People crippled with debt no longer feel they should be killing themselves to meet their debts. They have seen developers, bankers, etc. get away with murder and they no longer give a damn. And why should they? Sure what's another couple of grand debt on top of the few hundred grand they owe, and realistically will not be able to repay?

flavirostris

Retailers have experienced strong trading in the Republic in the run up to Christmas, but recent protests and a strong pound have put pressure on shops in Belfast.
At least part of the increase in trade in Dublin was a result of people travelling from Belfast due to a favourable exchange rate and unrest caused by protests and marches following the city council’s decision to limit the flying of the British flag at Belfast’s City Hall.
I wasn't sure if the South-North cross-border shopping had slackened off but that seems to indicate that it has.

oggy

15% are unemployed. 85% are working

The 15% generate retail sales to add to the 85% working

The drop in retail sales and jobs in the sector happened because the BOOM ended

Even for allowing that I do not do much shopping any time over the last 5 years shopping I have continually been forced to ask the question, what recession ?

Herself works in retail and over the same period she has constantly mentioned the same thing, what recession ?

We now have a FG character playing up what appears to him to be a sudden return of confidence to the retail sector. Not that long ago FG were telling us the country was beyond repair.

Isnt politics a load of rubbish

johnny365

15% are unemployed. 85% are working

The 15% generate retail sales to add to the 85% working

The drop in retail sales and jobs in the sector happened because the BOOM ended

Even for allowing that I do not do much shopping any time over the last 5 years shopping I have continually been forced to ask the question, what recession ?

Herself works in retail and over the same period she has constantly mentioned the same thing, what recession ?

We now have a FG character playing up what appears to him to be a sudden return of confidence to the retail sector. Not that long ago FG were telling us the country was beyond repair.

Isnt politics a load of rubbish
I doubt 85% are wokring if you factor in children OAPS etc

lying eyes

If we get any more Green Shoots, the place will be like China, full of paddy fileds.......

Truth.ie

More people shopping in the streets of Dublin, due to less people able to afford shopping trips in New York.
Damn you FG/Labour and your blasted austerity..:-x