What Exactly Does Being An Irish Republican Mean?

General Urko

Is it in the mouth of the claimer?
Does it just mean support for a United Ireland?
It strongly ocurs to me that alot who claim the moniker are anything but!
May be it's some kind of paradoxicall international nationalism?
What exactly does it mean to be an Irish Republican?

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
What it should mean is a supporter of a form of government in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives . But certain people here in Ireland think it has an unique meaning ..and that they have a monopoly on it. De Valera didn't own the word or the reality. Mary Lou doesn't own it now- although you'd think from all the hullabaloo that we've heard from the Shinners (and their predecessors) over the last half-century that they do. Wrapping yourself in a tricolour doesn't make one more "republican" than thou.

Mickeymac

Is it in the mouth of the claimer?
Does it just mean support for a United Ireland?
It strongly ocurs to me that alot who claim the moniker are anything but!
May be it's some kind of paradoxicall international nationalism?
What exactly does it mean to be an Irish Republican?

Maybe you need to read up pal, without going into volumes of links and comments, did you know that admitting to being an Irish Republican could very well have had you executed and in latter days subject to internment without trial?

Dearghoul

Maybe you need to read up pal, without going into volumes of links and comments, did you know that admitting to being an Irish Republican could very well have had you executed and in latter days subject to internment without trial?
Where would you see its advantages over French Republicanism?

Dearghoul

Apples and Oranges deary, way off topic, start a thread on French Republicanisim and I will probably trip rushing to get there😂
Well they came up with it and own the name. (that's to leave out to the Greeks, I mean them no disrespect)

Heres a bit of reading for you.

Would you see SF in the mould of the eighteen nineties French radicals or wha?

We're in new times now.

Just being agin' something doesn't guarantee success; and it's a good OP.

Mickeymac

Well they came up with it and own the name. (that's to leave out to the Greeks, I mean them no disrespect)

Heres a bit of reading for you.

Would you see SF in the mould of the eighteen nineties French radicals or wha?

We're in new times now.

Just being agin' something doesn't guarantee success; and it's a good OP.
I most likely will if you start the thread, mods on here go nuts you know with you off topic freaks.

Dearghoul

I'll take my chances.

The question in the OP was tailored for your brand of 'Irish' Republican.

What is the vision?

How will it benefit the electorate?

How do you propose to achieve it?

Carping about past injustices won't wash when in power.

Mickeymac

I'll take my chances.

The question in the OP was tailored for your brand of 'Irish' Republican.

What is the vision?

How will it benefit the electorate?

How do you propose to achieve it?

Carping about past injustices won't wash when in power.

Selecting certain Irish Republicans out for opinions is a really crazy poser, how would you like someone asking the same about your party?

You are comedy ffs, you know my affiliation and I do not have a clue as to your’s.

Dearghoul

Yeah Mickey, but it's a bigger question.

It was pretty well put by Urko in the OP I thought, to repeat, 'What does it mean to be an Irish Republican?'

I'm pretty sure that I might qualify under the French definition, separation of church and state to the point of having a secular State, and anyone born into that happy circumstance or naturalised into it has the same rights and obligations as any other citizen.

Not at all clear that this is part or all, or any of SF's platform, and I don't know why you, a citizen who supports SF, should be anyone worse to ask the question of than any other citizen, particularly as you've chosen to post on the matter on a political chat site.

Citizen.

Mickeymac

Yeah Mickey, but it's a bigger question.

It was pretty well put by Urko in the OP I thought, to repeat, 'What does it mean to be an Irish Republican?'

I'm pretty sure that I might qualify under the French definition, separation of church and state to the point of having a secular State, and anyone born into that happy circumstance or naturalised into it has the same rights and obligations as any other citizen.

Not at all clear that this is part or all, or any of SF's platform, and I don't know why you, a citizen who supports SF, should be anyone worse to ask the question of than any other citizen, particularly as you've chosen to post on the matter on a political chat site.

Citizen.

I would think asking your neighbours those questions would have made more sense and gathered some info for your research, I do not reside in Ireland.....100% Irish Republican though in the footsteps of all elders before me living or dead.

Dearghoul

I would think asking your neighbours those questions would have made more sense and gathered some info for your research, I do not reside in Ireland.....100% Irish Republican though in the footsteps of all elders before me living or dead.
That stands you great credit, however this is a question that, if you haven't considered it, maybe, should.

Dearghoul

Republicanism in its Irish context, with the honourable exception of the United Irishmen, which had, initially at least, strong protestant and dissenter support, seems to have been more something that could be coalesced around by various factions and never needed definition as something positive rather than an oppositional force.

I think, that much like the contradictions inherent in the 'United Kingdom', that this is where we are.

In other words, it works insofar as there is an enemy, and I'm hoping that Sinn Fein can transcend this as the English are signally failing in doing.

Last edited:

Mickeymac

Republicanism in its Irish context, with the honourable exception of the United Irishmen, which had, initially at least, strong protestant and dissenter support, seems to have been more something that could be coalesced around by various factions and never needed definition as something positive rather than an oppositional force.

I think, that much like the contradictions inherent in the 'United Kingdom', that this is where we are.

In other words, it works insofar as there is an enemy, and I'm hoping that Sinn Fein can transcend this as the English are signally failing in doing.

Too many people and Countries on side for the Irish peace process, those who oppose will be treated as parish’s Dearg.👍

Dearghoul

Too many people and Countries on side for the Irish peace process, those who oppose will be treated as parish’s Dearg.👍
Sure. I'm with you there, but it has been adequately, I'd say excellently championed by FG in power.

This thread is [broadly] about what new thing, what new philosophy, SF are bringing to the table.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies