• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What exactly is the Protestant Coalition?

Ren84

Just been reading up on yet another PUL dissident faction, this one called the Protestant Coalition (what is it with unionists and their religion?) They have a Facebook page but not much else, and not a whole lot is known about them, apart from being led by Scottish blowin, and all round nasty gobshyte Jim Dowson, seen below with the glass eyed cu.nt Nick Griffin......

Willie Frazer is also connected to the party, in what capacity is uncertain.

A bio of Jim Dowson:

Jim Dowson is a right-wing British political campaigner and former Calvinist minister.

Dowson has been involved with a number of right-wing groups, most notably the British National Party from 2007 to 2010; as an active fundraiser for the party he earned a reputation as "the person who owned the BNP". Other groups that he has been affiliated with include an anti-abortion outfit called the UK LifeLeague. Despite his connection to the racist BNP, Dowson seems to be less interested (though not entirely uninterested) in racial politics and more involved with the kind of right-wing religious campaigning associated more with the United States than with Britain.

In 2010 Shelley Rose, a former BNP candidate, publicly claimed that Dowson had lured her into a hotel room and groped her. Dowson denied this accusation and claimed that Rose was trying to smear him for being a party hardliner, as opposed to "people like Nick Griffin who want to open the party to Asians and other groups". Dowson left the BNP shortly afterwards.

In May 2011 Dowson and his colleague Paul Golding announced the establishment of Britain First. This group distances itself from the racism of the BNP, although retaining the anti-Immigration tack. Instead, it focuses on religion, being strongly pro-Christian, anti-Islam and anti-abortion. Britain First has spawned a couple of appendages: its political wing the National People's Party and the English National Resistance (not to be confused with the openly white nationalist group of the same name), a protest group co-founded by representatives of the English Defence League, the English Democrats and the South East Alliance.

Dowson is a homophobe and appears to believe that gays should be executed. When somebody quoted Leviticus 20:15 (the infamous verse prescribing the death penalty for homosexuality) on his Facebook page, his response was "Indeed so and Amen!"
Jim Dowson - RationalWiki

Here is their "constitution" on Facebook, their site still being worked on at the knackers yard:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=471861986217571&set=a.457732494297187.1073741826.457708260966277&type=1&theater

So what's their agenda here in Ireland. Is this the far right's latest attempt at gaining a foothold here? No loyalist trolls need bother commenting BTW.

IrishWelshCelt

Ah a further splitting of the unionist vote, excellent.

Drogheda445

The last thing NI needs at the moment is religious fascism, especially from Scottish loyalist wannabes.

Protestant of course being a collective label for anyone who isn't Catholic but is Christian in Northern Ireland. A fairly ambiguous label it seems.

longmarch

Hopefully mods will zoo this otherwise the floodgates will open to any obscure, ridiculous grouping to be worthy of a thread.

Ren84

The last thing NI needs at the moment is religious fascism, especially from Scottish loyalist wannabes.

Protestant of course being a collective label for anyone who isn't Catholic but is Christian in Northern Ireland. A fairly ambiguous label it seems.
True. Though that doesn't stop fascists from coming here to stir up hatred. I wonder what their game is here.

Global Justice

The last kicks of a dying horse. As I said on another thread what once was will never and can never be again, including Protestant privilege, collusion, unionist/orange dominated society etc and that makes certain anti-catholic bigots bitter as fuk. Them days are long gone, thankfully

The sectarian usage of Protestant in attachment to everything by unionists and loyalists prove the true motivations and intent by these people when supporting the OO and calls for integrated education - blatant sectarian hate and indoctrination.

Levellers

Is Dawson the new unionist leader now that Wullie and the little bender have fallen?

Drogheda445

Why does loyalism consistently link itself to Protestantism? As far as I can tell, hardline nationalist groups rarely unite under a "Catholic" label, at least not nowadays. Is it because of the influence that Evangelicals like Paisley have had on loyalism in the past, or simply the attachment to the idea of Protestant unionism?

We could really do without the need to yet again drag religion into politics.

Ren84

Is Dawson the new unionist leader now that Wullie and the little bender have fallen?
Looks like it. Anyone remember Dowson from around Xmas when he accosted Tommie Gorman on the Six One news telling him basically to go back home to the Republic? Some neck on a fella from Scotland. :|

eskrimador

Sounds great!

Where can I buy one of their t-shirts?

Ren84

Why does loyalism consistently link itself to Protestantism? As far as I can tell, hardline nationalist groups rarely unite under a "Catholic" label, at least not nowadays. Is it because of the influence that Evangelicals like Paisley have had on loyalism in the past, or simply the attachment to the idea of Protestant unionism?

It goes back to a deep seated hatred of Catholics from the times of the Penal Laws. To many those days were a time of celebration. A big contrast between nationalists and unionists is that nats rarely, if ever, emphasise Catholicism. I find all this talk of the "Protestant people" and "Protestant culture" quite disturbing TBH. Very Herrenvolk sounding.

longmarch

Have you heard of this group before? I certainly haven't and ill bet my mortgage on the fact we won't hear much more about them. I'm not saying you haven't a point but if this grouping is worthy of a thread on PiE then I'm Gerry Adams right hand man.

It's an embarrassment that this thread is here. Ren does an injustice to the many reasonable nationalist posters on this site.

Ren84

Have you heard of this group before? I certainly haven't and ill bet my mortgage on the fact we won't hear much more about them. I'm not saying you haven't a point but if this grouping is worthy of a thread on PiE then I'm Gerry Adams right hand man.

It's an embarrassment that this thread is here. Ren does an injustice to the many reasonable nationalist posters on this site.
You know something, if this was a mainland GB based group British discussion forums would have no problem talking about it. There's something radically wrong with unionism if it is incapable of self criticism.

Cruimh

Just been reading up on yet another PUL dissident faction, this one called the Protestant Coalition (what is it with unionists and their religion?)
Annual Easter Mass and 1916 commemoration received high attendance at Gaelic Park | Irish Genealogy and Roots | IrishCentral

What is it with Republicans and their religion?

They have a Facebook page but not much else, and not a whole lot is known about them, apart from being led by Scottish blowin, and all round nasty gobshyte Jim Dowson,
Scottish blowins out - including Pat Doherty and Pearce Doherty of Sinn Féin?