• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What happened to all those jobs the Lisbon Treaty was supposed to create?

Honecker

Now I know we are not supposed to take the promises of politicians seriously but surely these Lisbon posters took the biscuit? Why were these vacuous promises of jobs never held to account by the media? The amount of Bullsh1te the mainstream Irish politicians get away from is incredible.

In fairness to Labour they took a more unique position on why to vote yes!

Spanner Island

Seriously...?

You're seriously creating a thread on this now... WTF?

Talk about pointless...

Anyone who believed Lisbon was going to create jobs was an imbecile...

The 'Yes to Jobs' claim referred to protecting the MNC jobs here and as many others as we could...

Anyone who thought the plasterers and plumbers and brickies etc. were going to be protected after the housing bubble burst was... well let's just say an imbecile... again...

Of course Lucinda Creighton didn't help things when she referred to millions of jobs... but then I actually heard that comment when she said it and despite not liking Creighton at all... she was clearly referring to the EU and not simply to Ireland...

But of course various cronies and spinners here dishonestly spun it to suit their own agendas etc... blah blah blah...

This thread belongs in the Zoo...

He3

You should have read the small print.

Congalltee

Q: Did political parties scaremonger and overstate the position of jobs in the Lisbon referenda?

A. Isn't that what one tends to do in elections?

tigerben

Believing the Lisbon vote yes for jobs , was to believe in Santa , the tooth fairy , the Easter bunny, the every one gets a medal for taking part , fairies and superheroes! Sorry to those that still believed if I ruined it for you :)

IrishWelshCelt

The same thing that happened to the jobs Nice created and the same thing that the jobs the fiscal treaty supposedly made.

Analyzer

well....I suppose this is the sort of thing...that ya say...in order to get elected [to get the referendum approved]

Bonsai Experiment

Of course Lucinda Creighton didn't help things when she referred to millions of jobs... but then I actually heard that comment when she said it and despite not liking Creighton at all... she was clearly referring to the EU and not simply to Ireland......This thread belongs in the Zoo...
ah yes , Lucinda Creighton the lady who coined the eternal phrase : Lucinda Creighton ‏@LCreighton14 May

If voting yes is buying a ticket onto the titanic,at least u have a choice not to use it.

Did I hear you mention the Zoo?

eoghanacht

All the English tourists are bringing them over. You know the ones that were going to inundate the place after Lizzie's visit ;)

Analyzer

ah yes , Lucinda Creighton the lady who coined the eternal phrase : Lucinda Creighton ‏@LCreighton14 May

If voting yes is buying a ticket onto the titanic,at least u have a choice not to use it.

Did I hear you mention the Zoo?
She is positioning herself as the next IRL EU Commisioner in waiting.

Though there is also a massive incentive inside FG for Big Fill to get the job.

As if to indicate that they are on the shortlist, the Irish media has already decided to not critique either of them.

I suppose you could call that the "Commissioner Flynn media coverage" phenomenon.

stopdoingstuff

The EU has always been built on lies- a project of the elites which was sold in ultra-simplified form, because if people were told directly what it involved, it would never have been allowed to happen.

Mad as Fish

You should have read the small print.
What small print was that and can you remind us of it, preferably with an example?

Mad as Fish

Q: Did political parties scaremonger and overstate the position of jobs in the Lisbon referenda?

A. Isn't that what one tends to do in elections?
Then why should we take any notice of what they say ever, whether during an election or not? Why is suddenly all right to condone a bunch of proven liars? How can a democracy run when politicians simply cannot be trusted? They get paid very well to retain a sense of responsibility, why bother with them at all otherwise?

Crazy horse 6

Only the most stupid and deluded of electorate believed the yes for jobs mantra.