What happened to the property tax?

Holy Cow

The last few weeks there was all sorts of leaks over the property tax. Did FF lose their bottle after the 13% poll rating?

I thought the IMF said the tax had to be introduced?

Clearly they are leaving the country in a right mess for the next government.

tiny tim

The last few weeks there was all sorts of leaks over the property tax. Did FF lose their bottle after the 13% poll rating?

Fianna Fail are the party of the propertied.

The Banker

Shhhh.... Dont remind um...

FU FF

That's just usual form for FF.

I will go to prison rather than pay a property tax - I paid Euro 8,000 in stamp duty 4 years ago!

And as regards water charges and meters - I think this could be challenged on constitutional grounds. I have my own well and I'll be damned if they think I'm gonna pay for something twice!

G

Gimpanzee

I will go to prison rather than pay a property tax - I paid Euro 8,000 in stamp duty 4 years ago!

And as regards water charges and meters - I think this could be challenged on constitutional grounds. I have my own well and I'll be damned if they think I'm gonna pay for something twice!
I don't think you would need a constitutional challenge to say that if you have your own well you don't pay for water. Why would you think that you would be paying for something that you are providing yourself? You must live out the country. Many people out the country already pay water charges to their group scheme or council. I don't know where this myth about there being no water charges in Ireland comes from. Its just a city thing.

As for stamp duty - by the time the property tax comes in you'll be referring to a tax you paid 6 years ago and no one will pay any heed to you. You'll pay and you won't go to prison.

daveL

sadly I can see them earning credibility in opposition when they start rounding on FG/Lab for introducing property taxes and water charges

TradCat

If you use your own well then your meter would show you drawing nothing from the public system. So you'd pay nothing. Right?

Maxwell

Have been wondering this myself

Did anyone get clarification on whether people who bore their own well would have to pay a water charge or have a meter installed?

Holy Cow

Wait till the next government introduces the tax, the FF opposition line will be "look at us, we never even considered bringing in a property tax, vote for us, we are your friend".

Hence the recent scare stories about the property tax, so now people feel relieved that its not in.

Johnnybaii

If you use your own well then your meter would show you drawing nothing from the public system. So you'd pay nothing. Right?
I would imagine that it will be along the lines of the TV license, its not that you are paying to fund RTE with it you see, you are paying a license for having a TV

Same with these charges if you have water, you pay.

G

Gimpanzee

I would imagine that it will be along the lines of the TV license, its not that you are paying to fund RTE with it you see, you are paying a license for having a TV

Same with these charges if you have water, you pay.
No chance. With TV you can pluck RTE from the sky with an aerial. With water you need to be physically connected to the local authorities water infrastructure. You are paying for the storage, treatment and distribution. Anyone providing their own will not be charged.

talkies

Wait till the next government introduces the tax, the FF opposition line will be "look at us, we never even considered bringing in a property tax, vote for us, we are your friend".

Hence the recent scare stories about the property tax, so now people feel relieved that its not in.
+1

G

Gimpanzee

The meter can only be installed on a public water system. People with their own wells don't have any public water infrastructure on their property so there won't be any meter. And consequently no charge. Its like being off grid for electricity.

Many out the country on group water schemes or council schemes already do have meters and you pay about €50 a year for a basic allocation. You'd want to have a leak or be running the taps to breach this level where you them pay a per cubic metre of water.

Kevin Doyle

Property tax has been ear marked and was contained within the so called 4 yr plan and FF agve no commitment to itsd introduction in this budget, it is definately going to be introduced and it will be FG an Lab who introduce it. not because Fg and Lab are bid meanies but because we need to start taxing like a modern EU country. Even the US has substantial property taxes and local rates that people often forget about.

Kevin Doyle

Wont happen, FF are politically crippled for at least 2 terms, regardless of what FG/Lab do in Government, I know theres a lot of FF toads out there with 5 brain cells who think all this pass the buck cute hoorism is a clever way of maintaining the Partys structural integrity as it passes through the curent maelstrom but those days of stroke electoral politics are over.

FF are in big trouble.

Sync

It wouldn't make sense to introduce the tax the same year you've effectively removed stamp duty. One huge change to the property market a year is enough. The logic would be that by removing the Duty this year, you stimulate the market (or deliver shock paddles to it's body at least).

Property Tax is for next year. Like water charges, they (or more likely the next govt) are right to take their time and do it right and make sure it's fair and logical as opposed to doing it quickly.

CorkHurler

Not that there is likely to be any sympathy for property investors but the change to the rules in relation to Section 23 capital allowances (they can now only be set against the rental income from the Section 23 property itself rather than all rentail income) amounts to confiscation and will probably tip some investors in to default.

New Threads