What Hypocritical Delusional Clowns We Are !

Harry700

We are currently tearing ourselves apart seeking out everyone & anyone to blame for our misfortune. Being honest & objective would we accept that:

1) Political parties reflect the societies they inhabit & ergo we get the politicians we deserve i.e. we elected Fianna Fail !

2) The mad boom would clearly have been unfeasible without our active participation i.e. the Government, banks etc were merely the conductors whilst we were the drunk orchestra hoping the party would never end !

3) We lapped it up big time when things were great & some of our cult heroes then were people we are now attempting to lynch !

4) Some of the people now calling for revolution (eg unions) were comprehensively in bed with the establishment during the good times eg accepting appointments to state boards etc etc !

It is acknowledged the bust when it eventually came was compounded by political decisions such as the bank guarantee.

Harry

charley

The Celtic Tiger never came near my door but I am now supposed to pay for its vets bills!

firefly123

Cant argue with that Harry. It is in the Irish Psyche to blame someone else though. Up until recently it was all the Brits fault. Then we got rich quick and got poor even quicker and since we can't blame the auld enemy we pick someone else. Depressing but its in our nature.
Not everyone benefited from this boom. But the ones shouting the loudest (Sindo types) were the biggest beneficiaries.

Q-Tours

Don't blame me:

- called Bertie a dishonest slime at every opportunity
- advised everyone who asked me (and there were a few) not to borrow above 2.5+1 salary
- got the bank to reduce my credit card limit in 2004 and have kept it there
- didn't borrow anything I couldn't pay back
- harassed every politico I could about inequality growing

And yes, I am now required to bail out the shysters and ignoramuses.

SideysGhost

What misfortune? Who is this "we" you speak of?

I rented throughout cos I knew it was a bubble. I drove a reliable old rustbucket cos it was all I actually needed and I didn't give a rats ass what the neighbours might think. For pretty much the same reason I never loaded up on debt to buy 50-inch plasma tellies or imported marble kitchens. I did vote FF once, but it was 1997, and I've deeply regretted it ever since, and have been calling out Da Bert as rampantly corrupt since around 2001.

I advised everyone in 2006 to get their affairs in order to protect themselves, and followed my own advice. I've no debt, some savings (outside of the eurozone), and I've radically upgraded my CV over the last 3 years so I'm very mobile. I'm having a grand recession, thanks. Because I was prepared.

Pay for the mess of the rest of the idiots? You must be joking.

eoghanacht

Yes harry you keep consoling yerself that WE are all to blame.

Just because you fell for Bertie's spin and now that you have to take your medicine you and the rest of the WE brigade want the rest of us to meekly go along with you.

Sorry Harry, the tide didn't lift all the boats but now we are up the creek you want all of us to row in behind ye.

Ask me bollix harry will ye.

DeputyEdo

We are currently tearing ourselves apart seeking out everyone & anyone to blame for our misfortune. Being honest & objective would we accept that:

1) Political parties reflect the societies they inhabit & ergo we get the politicians we deserve i.e. we elected Fianna Fail !

2) The mad boom would clearly have been unfeasible without our active participation i.e. the Government, banks etc were merely the conductors whilst we were the drunk orchestra hoping the party would never end !

3) We lapped it up big time when things were great & some of our cult heroes then were people we are now attempting to lynch !

4) Some of the people now calling for revolution (eg unions) were comprehensively in bed with the establishment during the good times eg accepting appointments to state boards etc etc !

It is acknowledged the bust when it eventually came was compounded by political decisions such as the bank guarantee.

Harry
1) I never voted for Fianna Fail
2) I didn't go mad...in fact, I saved money during the boom..I sold my house and made a nice profit too
3) Not me. I lived within my means and didn't get into debt. I have no cult heroes
4) Agreed

So, you're 75% wrong.

Aindriu

Crusher000

Never voted Fianna Fail , have never owned a spanking new car , to this day don't own a flat screen , didn't buy several properties abroad , set up my own business ran it for a couple of years and bailed out three years ago as I could see the soft landing on mass concrete coming . Paid my taxes when I had my business cleared all my bills and now am expected to loose more of my wages to everyone that fell for the Gift Grub government .

Rebel_Yell

What misfortune? Who is this "we" you speak of?

I rented throughout cos I knew it was a bubble. I drove a reliable old rustbucket cos it was all I actually needed and I didn't give a rats ass what the neighbours might think. For pretty much the same reason I never loaded up on debt to buy 50-inch plasma tellies or imported marble kitchens. I did vote FF once, but it was 1997, and I've deeply regretted it ever since, and have been calling out Da Bert as rampantly corrupt since around 2001.

I advised everyone in 2006 to get their affairs in order to protect themselves, and followed my own advice. I've no debt, some savings (outside of the eurozone), and I've radically upgraded my CV over the last 3 years so I'm very mobile. I'm having a grand recession, thanks. Because I was prepared.

Pay for the mess of the rest of the idiots? You must be joking.
I'm in the same boat. Did buy a house but managed to sell it and get out with some savings. In the IT sector so I had a downturn in 2001/2002. No Credit Card debt and two banger cars (will have to replace one of them soon though).

Voted FF in 1997 for two reasons, Washington 3 and the Third-Level fees. As one of the 0.7% of working class people in the university I was in at the time, I was disgusted by that and remain so to this day.

Having said all of that, more people bought into this than didn't. All those spanky new cars and holidays homes were bought in free will and with borrowed money. We as a society are paying for the sins of many more people than a few Politicos, bankers and developers. The mortgage crisis isn't going to result from Bertie Ahern's dodgy house in Drumcondra.

Irish society is to blame, create a sliding scale for blame after that and tax accordingly.

Doora

Who is this we that you are talking about. As a Director in our local Credit Union, I advised members against the unsustainable madness some were engaging in. Some members even came in looking to borrow money to buy bank shares. Needless to say they were sent away and told to gamble with their own money.
Most of our members never benefitted from the " Celtic Tiger " but they will surely have to pay for the destruction of our country. As for myself, I never lost the run of myself and have no debt. It is unbelievable to have to pay so dearly for someone else's incompetence.

Ethan Edwards

The majority of Irish people did not vote for FF in the last GE hence the cowardly Greens and Independents got a chance at robbing the Irish people

2) [/QUOTE] The mad boom would clearly have been unfeasible without our active participation i.e. the Government, banks etc were merely the conductors whilst we were the drunk orchestra hoping the party would never end ![/QUOTE]

During the boom did the powers above us bother listening to any body a dissenting voice was told to go and commit suicide, even now with thousands on the streets calling for an election are FF listening - NO!

3) [/QUOTE]We lapped it up big time when things were great & some of our cult heroes then were people we are now attempting to lynch ![/QUOTE]

I have no cult heroes lest of all that entire shower.

4) [/QUOTE]Some of the people now calling for revolution (eg unions) were comprehensively in bed with the establishment during the good times eg accepting appointments to state boards etc etc ![/QUOTE]

Correct

[/QUOTE]It is acknowledged the bust when it eventually came was compounded by political decisions such as the bank guarantee.[/QUOTE]

Correct

So some of what you say is true but the WE part sorry that spin won't fly anymore.

Harry700

Having said all of that, more people bought into this than didn't. All those spanky new cars and holidays homes were bought in free will and with borrowed money. We as a society are paying for the sins of many more people than a few Politicos, bankers and developers. The mortgage crisis isn't going to result from Bertie Ahern's dodgy house in Drumcondra.

Irish society is to blame, create a sliding scale for blame after that and tax accordingly.

Tomas Mor

I am not to blame, I did not act foolishly.

rjf_ie

Harry

100% agree.. "we" as a society utterly went on a binge and we were all told that. The papers were full for years of when would the house prices crash. I bought in 04 and i was terrified of a crash back then. I'm not complaining as I didn't overextend and I'm ok. I'm just saying that there were enough warning signs out there, and most people were blind.

1) those taking benefits from the state just were very happy to keep taking them
2) those employed were happy to take low taxes (due to stamp duty, etc excesses)
3) pensioners were happy with the ever increasing pensions
4) people were happy with the new roads/trains and wanted more and more

so yes it touched us all.. but perhaps not all of us were utterly crazy.

So I support the OP, in the last election, it was the longest campaign, no rush to judgement, FF got in because the others were unbelievable and not credible. We were ill-treated by our politicians but they're the gombeens we keep picking again and again.

Perhaps it will change now, but "we" were happy to go with the flow and avoid disrupting the boat.

Whether "you" in the personal form did this, that's different, but the poster is right.. whatever you did may be one thing, but as a society we went on one hell of a binge and now we've got to pay.

guess what.. it's called growing up!!! (many a night as an early 20's where i regretted it next morning)

Fergalino

WE are:

The 70000 + Irish that could afford to go to Heineken Cup finals abroad when there were 4000 from Biarritz (supposedly one of the richest areas of France).

The people who bought one of the 200000 new cars sold in the country every year.

People who took more than 1 foreign holiday a year.

Everyone in the public sector that accepted benchmarking.

Everyone who sold propery and made a fortune doing so, and everyone who bought that property.

Everyone in the private sector that charged over the EU averages for their services (block layers, plasterers, chippies, hotel owners, factory workers.

Did I leave anyone out?

WE all lapped up the boom. WE all rode the Tiger, in one way or another. And WE all voted for parties that were not calling, stridently, for an end to it until it was all far far too late.

Face it.

AirTurbulence

Let go off Harry700.

You know what he meant by "WE" and fair play to him for saying that. At least he acknowledges himself as a part of the society even if it's a rotten one.

myhonorisloyalty666

Harry
Excellent post.:D

B

Boggle

Out of a very limited bunch and based on lies and sin. Lies and spin which we pay our tv license to have exposed but which never were.

I got nothing out of the celtic tiger, in fact the celtic tiger saw my paypacket eroded by inflation so it hurt me. SOME people went nuts buying houses but many more HAD to buy. Not only is there terrible renting legislation in this country but everyone was telling them that if they didn't buy soon then they never could.
I even know of several people who now cannot have children as they had to work so hard and so long to put a stable roof over their heads that they left it too late to try.

Hard to blame people for being lied to. Even harder to blame them for wanting lying/treasonous politicians punished.

Agreed.

And again I ask, why were they guaranteed?

New Threads