What I would tell the Pope

The Field Marshal

nah, he changed his username - play with the letters hollandia alphanumerically and see where they lead you ....
Cripes I have enough problems.

Do you want me to crack altogether?

RadicalJacobin

If you went to the event and had a chance to talk to the Pope for 5 minutes, what would you say to him?
Personally, I would thank him for trying in a small way to bring a far better version of Catholicism into dominance in the Church. For far too long the message of Christ has been used to justify actions that are actually completely against the whole spirit of Jesus' teachings. Using scripture conveniently to judge others and enrich oneself to the detriment of others. The whole point of the Church is that it should be used for healing and forgiveness, instead of judgment and punishment.
I would also ask him to do far more about confronting the Church's troubled and morally indefensible past. The reason why abuse like this happened was because of a failure to stand up and take action.

Overall, whatever one's opinion about religion and the Catholic Church, I think that the Church of Pope Francis is one that far more in keeping with the teachings of Jesus than the one of the past.

Mitsui2

Lucifer and Bealzebub changed it to 666 at the annual conference held in the year 666.

[ even demons take account of astrological calendars and need to adjust for inaccuracies etc]

You being an intellectual should know these things.
Marsh, Marsh, Marsh!

I fecking told you very clearly -

The sugar lumps with the brown dots are the ones that you pass on to storybud.

The sugar lumps with the brown dots are the ones that you pass on to storybud....

He's a Trinners grad - he can handle the weirder, dumber sh1te.

Cruimh

Cripes I have enough problems.

Do you want me to crack altogether?
Personally, I would thank him for trying in a small way to bring a far better version of Catholicism into dominance in the Church. For far too long the message of Christ has been used to justify actions that are actually completely against the whole spirit of Jesus' teachings. Using scripture conveniently to judge others and enrich oneself to the detriment of others. The whole point of the Church is that it should be used for healing and forgiveness, instead of judgment and punishment.
I would also ask him to do far more about confronting the Church's troubled and morally indefensible past. The reason why abuse like this happened was because of a failure to stand up and take action.

Overall, whatever one's opinion about religion and the Catholic Church, I think that the Church of Pope Francis is one that far more in keeping with the teachings of Jesus than the one of the past.
No fieldy, but I think RadicalJacobin is having a good go at it

gerhard dengler

Do you remember poster ru- to- da- hills ?

He was big into the 666 thing and many dismissed him as delusional.

Word on the street is that Frankie got to him.
He was one of the few informed and informative posters to this site.

Well spotted concerning the 666 designation, TFM.

yobosayo

Religion is the refuge of the morally weak and the intellectually lazy.
That would be news to the likes of Bartolome de las Casas, Antonio de Montesinos, Dom Helder Pessoa Camara, Oscar Romero, Rutilio Grande, Jesus Emilio Jaramillo Monsalve, Juan Jose Gerardi Conedera, Mark Anthony Yuaga Ventura, Richmond Nilo, and so on.

And so I don't leave out Africa:

Father Vincent Machozi, an Assumptionist Catholic priest who led the fight against the extractive industries and in support of human rights in the Democratic Republic of Congo, was assassinated on Sunday night, March 20, when gunmen — reportedly, by members of Congolese military — disrupted a peacemaking retreat at a village in Beni and murdered him in a hail of bullets. ... Machozi, 51, operated an influential website, Beni Lubero, documenting human rights abuses. He had recently posted an online article denouncing the involvement of the Congolese and Rwandan presidents in the massacres of innocent civilians. According to John L. Allen, “Machozi used the site to denounce what he saw as collusion among political elites, armed factions, and commercial interests in what he termed the ‘Balkanization’ of the region in order to exploit its natural resources, especially its rich Coltan deposits.”

Over the years, Machozi has been involved in several protests against illegal trade of coltan, a mineral ore used in electronic devices. The so call “war of coltan” in the mineral-rich eastern Congo has left millions dead and more than a million women raped, as Sojourners magazine has previously reported.

Now for your moral courage:

http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2016/pdf/coltan.pdf

So, how morally strong are you? Ready to give up your cell phone? He gave his life.

Always nice to hear the testes-less speak of the morally weak. In other words, he had, to borrow the phrase, big brass balls. Can't find yours with an electron microscope.

P.S. for a bonus freebie, Join Date = Jun 2006, posts 478, so if 6/1 through 8/20, say, 6.7 posts per day. Well, at least we know why you've no balls, as the radiation from your monitor sizzled them away. If there's any justice, perhaps owing to the coltan from the Congo that is radioactive.

The Field Marshal

No fieldy, but I think RadicalJacobin is having a good go at it
I sympathize with radical jacobins sentiment.
Fine in its own very incomplete way.

One can achieve the objectives he / she aspires to without hacking out the foundations of the church,

The notion , pursued by Francis, that pastoral care can ignore doctrine is theologically wrong.

Pastoral care must flow from theological doctrine.

GDPR

I sympathize with radical jacobins sentiment.
Fine in its own very incomplete way.

One can achieve the objectives he / she aspires to without hacking out the foundations of the church,

The notion , pursued by Francis, that pastoral care can ignore doctrine is theologically wrong.

Pastoral care must flow from theological doctrine.
You are a very religious man i can tell from your others posts on this site. But it seems you have now many doubts about your faith.

The Field Marshal

You are a very religious man i can tell from your others posts on this site. But it seems you have now many doubts about your faith.
Doubts about my faith.
No,
Catholicism has seen it all , good popes, bad popes, anti popes, evil cardinals, bishops and priests, evil laypeople like Hitler.
It has seen such people come and go over the centuries yet endures because it is the one true church of God.

Nothing new under the sun as it says in the Bible .

PAGE61

Doubts about my faith.
No,
Catholicism has seen it all , good popes, bad popes, anti popes, evil cardinals, bishops and priests, evil laypeople like Hitler.
It has seen such people come and go over the centuries yet endures because it is the one true church of God.

Nothing new under the sun as it says in the Bible .
Is that not one big excuse.. If I was God (who knows ,someday!) I would be a bit dismayed at your brushing over of the CC church through the years ..and remember the bible was invented by these very god popes, bad popes you speak of

LISTOWEL MAN

its the first visit of a pope to this country in almost 40 years

so with catholic church teaching rejected twice at the ballot box in 3 years is this pope visiting a dying institution? or one on the brink of recovery?

join our live audience in studio for this special programme by calling 01 208 34 94

thats prime time on the popes visit

thursday

rte 1

SweenyTodd

Is that not one big excuse.. If I was God (who knows ,someday!) I would be a bit dismayed at your brushing over of the CC church through the years ..and remember the bible was invented by these very god popes, bad popes you speak of

SweenyTodd

I'd remind him of his own words.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies