• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What if 9/11 never happened?


G

Guest

I came across an interesting 'what-if' article in the New Yorker recently posing that very question. Andrew Sullivan was the main contributor, and posits that 9/11 came at a good time, all things considered, because it warned us and woke us up to the Islamofascist threat.

--George W Bush would not have been reelected; rather, he would have focused almost entirely on a domestic agenda

--Al Gore would be the current US President

--Iraq would not have been invaded

--Afghanistan would have been bombed to take out Al Qaeda training camps

--Al Qaeda would be found to be thoroughly prepared for a devestating simultaeous terror attack on western cities, such as poisonous gases being released on the metro in London, Moscow, New York and Tel Aviv during rush hour, killing tens of thousands.

--Al Qaeda would by now have smuggled nuclear material into certain western countries

Thoughts?
 

Universal_001

Active member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
222
asteroid said:
--Al Qaeda would by now have smuggled nuclear material into certain western countries

Thoughts?
Maybe they would have killed us with the dirty bombs, you know, the ones that if made would cause almost no damage.

Or perhaps they would have used liquid explosives which are nearly impossable to take down a plane?

all of course organised through their careful top down command structure, which does not exist because they are not a unified network as they have been potrayed.

The US would have kept ****ing around with the middle east and thus created the conditions in which fanatics radicalised young men and a 9-11 would have happened one way or another it was inevitable.
 

forest

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,363
If the attacks on 911 did not take place, yes the invasion of iraq may not have happened although there is a lot of conspirisary theories that Bush and co wanted to invade Iraq and had planed to before they got elected.

I don't quit understand the augment if 9/11 did not happen Al Qaeda would have attacked New York at a later date. The date is irreverent

also were does the idea come about that Al gore would be president if 9/11 did not happen

Al Gore lost the 2000 election to Bush just short a year before the attacks on NY

A more interesting question is how would the US response have been different if Al Gore was president at the time
 

rkeane

Active member
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
109
A similar 9/11 style event was always going to happen...it will happen again! The US response to the attacks has been shocking...it has created the biggest terrorist training ground in the world - Iraq. I have absolutely no doubt that thousands of innocent Americans will die as a result of crazy foreign policy decisions.
 

KeithM

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
93
forest said:
If the attacks on 911 did not take place, yes the invasion of iraq may not have happened although there is a lot of conspirisary theories that Bush and co wanted to invade Iraq and had planed to before they got elected.

I don't quit understand the augment if 9/11 did not happen Al Qaeda would have attacked New York at a later date. The date is irreverent

also were does the idea come about that Al gore would be president if 9/11 did not happen

Al Gore lost the 2000 election to Bush just short a year before the attacks on NY

A more interesting question is how would the US response have been different if Al Gore was president at the time
He'd probably have done the exact same as Clinton did when the WTC was first attacked.....SFA.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
TBH I thought a hijacked airliner being used as a human bomb on a major public building inside the US was on the cards months before it actually happened.

When that day came though the scale of the attack was much larger than I expected. :?

For sure things would have been different if 9/11 had not taken place.

A new attack on Iraq was being mulled over even in the Clinton Era - recall he authorised a number of air strikes there and kept up a blockade of that Country in which many innocent kids died because of lack of medical supplies.

The fallout from 9/11 isn't over yet.

Iran looks to be next on the Hit List.

Did somebody mention Fallout? :shock:
 

sackville

Member
Joined
May 4, 2005
Messages
85
Catalpa said:
The fallout from 9/11 isn't over yet.

Iran looks to be next on the Hit List.

Did somebody mention Fallout? :shock:
as long as you don't mention it being 'nuts' or you might lose your job :cry:
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
sackville said:
Catalpa said:
The fallout from 9/11 isn't over yet.

Iran looks to be next on the Hit List.

Did somebody mention Fallout? :shock:
as long as you don't mention it being 'nuts' or you might lose your job :cry:
Straw was right.

But TBH I don't believe nukes will be used by the USA.

It will be high intensity conventional bombardment on selected 'choke-points' of Iran's economy and infrastructure.

While suspected Nuclear sites will be hit it is just possible they might be token in nature.

The US would wish to examine them intact if possible. That might mean the hub of each site will be left untouched till Iran accepts defeat.

If the USA does nothing (unlikely I admit) then Israel will go it alone. In which case all bets are off! :twisted:
 

daithimac

Active member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
193
Twitter
@daveyawesome
I would have thought that US foreign policy would have taken a much mor isolationist tone as prior to 9/11 the bush administration took a scornful view of notions such as nation building and acting as a world police man. Bush would most likely have still won a second term just through the nature of his political machine and the nature of american politics and the idea of Gore running again would not be thought plausable as the would be much less emphasis on the what if of the past few years
 

rkeane

Active member
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
109
whatever about nuking Iran or anywhere else, Al-Qaeda and similar groups will only get stronger in accordance with US foreign policy *uck ups. Its biggest mistake is its support for Israel....that really gets the Islamic groups rattling. Forget Iran - I can actually see the Americans running from Iraq..they are being slaughtered by the Insurgency...not even the green zone is safe.
 

daithimac

Active member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
193
Twitter
@daveyawesome
I don't get that line of argument. Its like condeming churchill for standing up to hitler saying that he is only guarenteeing that the nazi army will swell in size
 

emmet100

Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
27
rkeane said:
whatever about nuking Iran or anywhere else, Al-Qaeda and similar groups will only get stronger in accordance with US foreign policy *uck ups. Its biggest mistake is its support for Israel....that really gets the Islamic groups rattling. Forget Iran - I can actually see the Americans running from Iraq..they are being slaughtered by the Insurgency...not even the green zone is safe.
So, America should stop supporting the only democracy in the Middle-East to appease Islamic fanatics who would then have a free hand to destroy it? :? And the American forces aren't being slaughtered in Iraq...not much more than 2,000 dead troops after over three years of fighting...not bad compared to Vietnam. It's the civilians who are baring the brunt of the terrorist campaign.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Not so sure the US will cut and run in Iraq.

Sure it's mess and the kind of clear cut Victory they expected in 2003 is probably not going to emerge, but America will be there or in the vicinity for decades to come.

More so if a War with Iran breaks out.
 

mothball

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
683
emmet100 said:
rkeane said:
whatever about nuking Iran or anywhere else, Al-Qaeda and similar groups will only get stronger in accordance with US foreign policy *uck ups. Its biggest mistake is its support for Israel....that really gets the Islamic groups rattling. Forget Iran - I can actually see the Americans running from Iraq..they are being slaughtered by the Insurgency...not even the green zone is safe.
So, America should stop supporting the only democracy in the Middle-East to appease Islamic fanatics who would then have a free hand to destroy it? :? And the American forces aren't being slaughtered in Iraq...not much more than 2,000 dead troops after over three years of fighting...not bad compared to Vietnam. It's the civilians who are baring the brunt of the terrorist campaign.
America has significantly less troops in Iraq compared to their little south east Asia adventure. They couldn’t use their full military might in order to defeat the NVA or VC. They are facing a similar level of threat in Iraq but are able to deal with it in a way superior to that of Vietnam.
The US may only be losing, on average, two or three soldiers a day but it all sdds up and since they have no firm plans to pull out, they will lose many, many, many more of their infid….. soldiers before they choose to leave. 2656 dead after three years, how many after ten, eleven,twelve…. Don’t forget the twenty thousand wounded, over a hundred a week.
 

Rocky

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
8,550
I've never liked this type of threads because it's impossible to know the answer unless you know the reason why 9/11 didn't happen. 9/11 wasn't an isolated event, it was the result of many factors for example the growth of Islamic Fundamentalists in the Middle East, which happened for other reasons. If it didn’t happen it most likely would have been because the CIA would have stopped it, so most likely they would have tried again, had that failed as well, then I don’t know. The threat would still be there and Bush, Blair etc. would have probably felt it still needed to be dealt with.
 

rkeane

Active member
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
109
Not so sure the US will cut and run in Iraq.
The US will never win in Iraq....they have no right to! I admire the insurgents who solely attack US/UK targets in Iraq (not civilian). They are the ones who made up all the lies about wmds...they deserve what they are getting. And does anyone actually believe the US death figures....I for one do not!
 

Utopian Hermit Monk

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2007
Messages
3,928
I've just been watching the '9/11: 101 Minutes that changed America' documentary on More 4.

Thirteen years on, it's as surreal as ever.

There was twisted, evil genius behind the conception, planning and execution of those attacks. The symbolism of the chosen targets was breath-takingly awful. By itself, the attack on the Pentagon would have been the story of the decade. It says a lot that the Pentagon attack pales into near-insignificance compared to the awesome spectacle of the World Trade Centre towers burning and collapsing.

And all these years later, the attack continues to cost dearly, with billions of dollars expended on extraordinary security measures at airports, public buildings, embassies, etc.

And perhaps the most extraordinary aspect of all is the fact that it was possible to do all of this right under the nose of the most sophisticated intelligence-gathering apparatus in the world.

I can't help wondering when the next attack will come, and what form it will take? It will probably be a lot more high-tech than thirteen years ago. Any would-be attackers will surely have access to biological and other weaponry that will make 9/11 seem very crude.

I wonder, also, whether present U.S.-led actions in the Middle East are making another 9/1 almost inevitable? I hope not. But I fear the worst.

(More 4 now showing a documentary on the 9/11 firefighters, followed at 1 a.m. by 'Bin Laden: Shoot to Kill').
 

storybud1

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
6,741
The crusades did not end, the Western Europeans were busy settling the Americas, Oceania and the rest of the world and killing each other in wars, the muslim ideology simply fell behind in their capability,

The sooner the West gets away from musliim oil the better and things can settle back down, I ain;t getting at individuals only the ideology, it is a cult that controls women's wombs to reproduce more muslims, that's all, it certainly ain't of any use in the modern world, just like philosophy, pointless, given the advances in science.
 

Tin Foil Hat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
2,900
;296415 said:
I came across an interesting 'what-if' article in the New Yorker recently posing that very question. Andrew Sullivan was the main contributor, and posits that 9/11 came at a good time, all things considered, because it warned us and woke us up to the Islamofascist threat.

--George W Bush would not have been reelected; rather, he would have focused almost entirely on a domestic agenda

--Al Gore would be the current US President

--Iraq would not have been invaded

--Afghanistan would have been bombed to take out Al Qaeda training camps

--Al Qaeda would be found to be thoroughly prepared for a devestating simultaeous terror attack on western cities, such as poisonous gases being released on the metro in London, Moscow, New York and Tel Aviv during rush hour, killing tens of thousands.

--Al Qaeda would by now have smuggled nuclear material into certain western countries

Thoughts?
Trying to imagine alternative presents is every bit as ludicrous as, and far more pointless than, trying to imagine a future.
 
Top