• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What if JFK wasn't assassinated?

RahenyFG

A 'what if' history scenario.

22/11/1963 never happened. JFK wasn't killed and made it out of Dallas alive and well. Maybe even won a second term. How may history have been different?

-Maybe the US wouldn't have got so involved in Vietnam. Under Kennedy's presidency, the US only had 20,000 troops in Vietnam and some advisors and were about to pull out.

-Would JFK's affairs have been revealed and seen him impeached and been seen after his presidency as the 'disgraced former president'? JFK's assassination at such a young age and before his affairs were revealed preserved him in time as the young and handsome lost leader.

-How would have civil rights panned out? LBJ pushed this right through. Whether it was his own drive or congress sympathy for the slain Kennedy who tried and failed to introduce civil rights bills is another question.

-How would US-USSR relations have developed?

-Would the economic relationship between the US and Ireland advanced earlier? JFK had set up an Irish-US economic council after his June 1963 visit which pretty died down after his assassination. He had some minor interest in the Northern Irish conflict and the issue of a United Ireland. Maybe he would have advanced peace in the North by 30 years being an Irish-American US president? As for the national question? Probably debatable as he was sympathetic to the British and wouldn't have wanted to upset them and US-UK relations by strongly advocating a United Ireland.

Many more what if scenarios. There's no doubt that when Lee Harvey Oswald from the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository on that fateful day shot and killed Kennedy he altered history.

I ask that this be a 'what if JFK wasn't assassinated' thread and not about whether there was a conspiracy or not.

True Republican

He would have destroyed Goldwater in 1964 even if his serial womanising had been publicly revealed. At the time Goldwater was seen as a far right extremist even though Reagan stole a lot of his policies in 1980.

RahenyFG

He would have destroyed Goldwater in 1964 even if his serial womanising had been publicly revealed. At the time Goldwater was seen as a far right extremist even though Reagan stole a lot of his policies in 1980.
Maybe but adultery in those days was frowned upon highly. Even more so if it came out that it was the US president, world leader, that was involved in adultery. Even if his affairs weren't revealed before the 1964 election, I'd say Kennedy would have won 60-40 or 55-45. More likely the latter. LBJ only won by the amount he did through the sympathy of Kennedy's assassination just a year previously.

Armchair Activist

Lee Harvey Oswald would have sued his Army Sergents for misguiding him on his marksmanship training.

firefly123

I remember watching an episode of the twilight zone where a time traveller saves Kennedy but it turns out it results in a nuclear war so the time traveller goes back and swaps places with Kennedy on the fateful day and sends him in to the future.
As theories go it is more likely than some that this thread will no doubt attract soon :)

bob3367

There would be global glut of tin foil, as no hats would ever have been conceived or made.

And Alcoa would not have been born.

Tea Shark

I've enjoyed a lot of SK's books, but I hated that one. Hated it.

To be honest, it's rather pointless speculating what the world might be like if a particular event never took place. It is absolutely impossible to make even the wildest guess.
I have read all of them and it was different to be sure, but I thought it very interesting and he dealt with the postulation conundrums well.

Suppose it would depend what you were looking for. Duma key was a great experiment in conceptual thinking also as was under the dome, unlike wilbur smith imo king keeps reinventing.

flavirostris

It might have been that the landmark civil rights legislation of the mid 60's would not have been passed till much later. I don't think Kennedy had the same political nous as Johnson, who was maybe the greatest political operator in American history.

That in turn would have meant that the long drift of the South away from the Democratic party would have started much later.

Ribeye

A 'what if' history scenario.

22/11/1963 never happened. JFK wasn't killed and made it out of Dallas alive and well. Maybe even won a second term. How may history have been different?

-Maybe the US wouldn't have got so involved in Vietnam. Under Kennedy's presidency, the US only had 20,000 troops in Vietnam and some advisors and were about to pull out.

-Would JFK's affairs have been revealed and seen him impeached and been seen after his presidency as the 'disgraced former president'? JFK's assassination at such a young age and before his affairs were revealed preserved him in time as the young and handsome lost leader.

-How would have civil rights panned out? LBJ pushed this right through. Whether it was his own drive or congress sympathy for the slain Kennedy who tried and failed to introduce civil rights bills is another question.

-How would US-USSR relations have developed?

-Would the economic relationship between the US and Ireland advanced earlier? JFK had set up an Irish-US economic council after his June 1963 visit which pretty died down after his assassination. He had some minor interest in the Northern Irish conflict and the issue of a United Ireland. Maybe he would have advanced peace in the North by 30 years being an Irish-American US president? As for the national question? Probably debatable as he was sympathetic to the British and wouldn't have wanted to upset them and US-UK relations by strongly advocating a United Ireland.

Many more what if scenarios. There's no doubt that when Lee Harvey Oswald from the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository on that fateful day shot and killed Kennedy he altered history.

I ask that this be a 'what if JFK wasn't assassinated' thread and not about whether there was a conspiracy or not.
If you didn't want it to turn in a conspiracy thread,

Why did you say that there is NO doubt the LHO did it?

Red rag to bull I would have thought:)