What is Ireland???

Armchair Activist

Yes indeed Ireland is sailing through some very rough waters at present but I wish to pose a question to all you forum users, the highly educated and enlightened bunch that you all are. :roll:

This very question is to question that very essence of Irishness, the pride it instills in you or not with where it is you are living in the country or have visted. Perhaps as a child, you hold dear some splendid momories of a summer holiday in Wexford (of course been my hometown).

Really reflect on your thoughts of home as to what they actually matter to you as a person and please feel free to share them with us. I dont talk about the good times of the money hungry days in the dacade or so gone but the times away from all that nonsense, the times of pleasure and peace with the land we hold so dear to us.

I urge you all to just close your eyes for a few moments while listening to this Luke Kelly track before commenting.. a remarkable voice that I believe goes along way to answering the question I pose. At least I hope so anyway.

In other words what defines us as a people, the collective culture that we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_dHcduUTU

Last edited:

Armchair Activist

How do i embed video???

Armchair Activist

Lol.. its all very well and dandy Inca Gold but lets face it, its the small things that matter in life ;) Ireland been one of course.

Interista

This very question is to question that very essence of Irishness, the pride it instills in you or not with where it is you are living in the country or have visted.
To be honest, I really don't get the concept of 'national pride'. After all, you dont' have a choice in where you're born or where your ancestors are from. Being Irish (or whatever) is not an achievement in which you can have any pride. Ireland will always be home and there are things about it I love and things about it which drive me nuts. But I can't say I ever feel either pride - or shame - about Ireland.

Just like I don't feel especially proud when an Irish sportsperson does well on the world stage, so too I don't feel any shame now that Ireland has become a financial cautionary tale for the rest of the world. I don't feel that either state of affairs reflect on me as an individual.

mr. jings

To be honest, I really don't get the concept of 'national pride'. After all, you dont' have a choice in where you're born or where your ancestors are from. Being Irish (or whatever) is not an achievement in which you can have any pride. Ireland will always be home and there are things about it I love and things about it which drive me nuts. But I can't say I ever feel either pride - or shame - about Ireland.

Just like I don't feel especially proud when an Irish sportsperson does well on the world stage, so too I don't feel any shame now that Ireland has become a financial cautionary tale for the rest of the world. I don't feel that either state of affairs reflect on me as an individual.
+1

Goodbody

I thought less of the Greeks after I read the Vanity Fair article detailing their corruption. I think others will judge us collectively, whether or not that is deserved.

Interista

I thought less of the Greeks after I read the Vanity Fair article detailing their corruption. I think others will judge us collectively, whether or not that is deserved.
I'm sure they will. And it does have to be said that many (by no means all) Irish people did, each in their own small way, contribuite to the financial meltdown through greed and naivete.

However, since I am not one of those people - I lived modestly and did not take out a big mortgage during the 'boom' years - I do not believe that current events reflect on me, or on most people I know.

Tigris Celtica

Whalis Ireland ? - A dumb feudal Kleptocracy currently governed by a criminal syndicate of drunken crooks masquerading as a political party.

Soldier of Density

Perhaps as a child, you hold dear some splendid momories of a summer holiday in Wexford (of course been my hometown).

Really reflect on your thoughts of home as to what they actually matter to you as a person and please feel free to share them with us. YouTube - The Dubliners - Song for Ireland
I have myriad of thought from my youth that remind me of happier times. Nothing, makes those memories uniquely Irish.

In response to your question, what matters to me as a person, is friends and family. The inflated importance of Irishness, or Oirishness, is lost on me sometimes. Often 'Irish' is touted as little more than 'not British', and in more recent times 'non-German/Belgian'.

Frankly I'm beyond caring whether I'm ruled by an unelcted clown in Leinster house or an unelected committee of clowns in strasbourg/berlin/brussels..........Just let me know what badge to put on the front of my passport before the Israelis come to steal it.

PS. Love LUke Kelly's version of that song.,.......Written by a Scot. Maybe we should ask Sean Connery what it means to be Irish.

corporal punishment

I took umbrage recently when Linehan declared that " we all partied ", as I certainly didn't but I was shocked to find many of us did. A colleague at work was telling me yesterday how both he and his wife got totally caught up in the whole thing. Multiple annual holidays, fad hobbies ( surfing ) multiple golf club memberships and the dreaded investment property which is now in serious negative equity and is threatening him with bankruptcy. We'll all pay the same price now though...

Armchair Activist

Wow.. people are almost ashamed to be Irish it seems on here.

Well let me go one further and explain the image I have come to see been associated with Ireland and its people.

For one I see Irish people of great wit and charm, I think it is embedded deeply into our cultural behaviour. I do not speak for the imposters we see in the news at the moment but for most normal people in Ireland, I see alot of resillence and to large degree ambition. However it could be said that the curse for Irish people is a confinedence issue that exists in the darker area of their minds. I do not speak for people who understand individuality but for the many who from early ages subscribe to their social groups and norms.

Indeed it requires one to break away early in life from these social norms in order to seek the truth about themselves and what it is they are capable of achieving with their lives. For the many confined to the social norms it is quite often that they remain with the believe of self imposed boundaries. In other words there exists amongst Irish people to some degree an intellectual caste system. Which I believe is greatly attributed to the small & narrow mindedness of the broken hearted and failed. Yes there is ambition among young people in Ireland but it is rather limited to what has gone before them.

Of course I am not claiming for people to reach for the stars and all this fairytale nonsense but I do claim that there needs to be bigger thought within the minds of our young people, well a greater majority of them at least.

I think this is a deep issue that exists within Irish society, people need to feel empowerd enough to break away from the confinds of the many nay-sayers we have among us in our communitys who try to drag the rest of us down with them. We need go getters.. For these are the minds that will create and sustain an economy whose only real true resource is brains and the innovative ideas they will create.

Irelands only hope of a prosperous future is to develop a 'smart' economy but one further in a 'smart' society.

However back to the question I earlier posed as to what it is people most like about Ireland, I again have to mention the simplicity of Irish people and thier Godly talents to communicate through humour. It truly is a gift that not many people in the world really understand. You can see what I mean if you look closely at how western society is evolving in a hyper commerical world. Particualry scary is how children are now developing, and the massive industry that exists surrounding our want to just turn them off through meds.

Just a thought anyway.

Disillusioned democrat

its was once said. show me your leaders and i will see your country
I actually believe Ireland is the exception that disproves this rule. The majority of Irish people I know are honest, hardworking and ambitious, proud of their own capability and honest enough to know their limitation. These are the kind of people that drove the real boom of the mid 90s and expected to be rewarded for it.

I think our "elites" have hijacked our country over the past 13 years - people who were too lazy or stupid to make it on their own merits found a way to suck on the nectar - and all you had to do was cosy up to and sell your soul to FF - then await the plum quango roles, the continuous government contracts (ala PWC, Arthur Cox) and the gravy train of expenses.

Hopefully today's march was a first step to getting our country back - the only question is whether it will be beyond saving by the time we do.

Armchair Activist

its was once said. show me your leaders and i will see your country
It could be said that for a long time the real leadership in Ireland came from within local communities for little medium existed to sustain otherwise, It is perhaps only in recent years the leaders we look for are the clowns who only wish to lead is for thier own personal desire. Hence the social and moral decay. :)

Godly talents.. dont worry I use the term objectively in respect to the inner God we all are.

Armchair Activist

Might I also add that it is a return to local scale leadership that is required if a more ideal system of democracy is ever to exist..

Of course governce of goverment needs to be applied also. But freedoms of decisive dession making must prevail, Big things fail and fail hard... its as simple as that

junius

Its the beauty, the landscape, the culture, the climate, the home soil, days on the bog, the people, the accents. I've tried to leave Ireland several times over the years - well, more like tried out a couple of other places. But the heartstrings pull you back. After a few months away the irresistible urge to go home kicks in! You can't wait to get your feet back on home soil. Why, even Dublin Airport seems like home when you've been away - and it seems like hell on earth when you actually live here! I can't get my kids to leave either - despite everything, they go away but barely have they left but they NEED to come home despite everything.

The Irish Government has and still is doing their damnedest to destroy the place we know and love - if you're away for too long you no longer recognise the place because somebody has built a bloody great concrete dual carriageway, that nobody wants to use because its so awful - look at the Dublin - Galway monstrosity - barely a car to be seen on it! And massive tolls to be paid - once is enough - never again! And still our Government tries to destroy our country. Nothing sadder than seeing the MNC's move in and take over! When are we going to come to our senses? Or is it really true what we've heard for so long that the world is going to end in 2012. As it steadily approachs, it becomes all the more likely - scary thought!

huffnpuff

Ireland is a embarrassingly parochial provincial kleptocracy. I for one cannot wait to exit this sorry place once and for all. The Irish deserve all the pain that is coming their way for voting in and continuing to support the retarded criminals in the Dail who are sacrificing their future for fear of upsetting the big boys in Europe and their banking overlords.

Armchair Activist

How communal do feel your local community actually is???

I can remember a time when it was hardly second guessed by one to send their child running across the street to a neighbour for some tea bags or sugar. It seems now, people have become too proud to even say hello to the people living next to them.

The great achievments whether intended or not by the powers that be is that in time coomunity value will be all but gone and forgotten about. You see it now with the economy, banks are too big and hold little flexabilty when dealing with localised affairs. They operate within a framwork intended for a stanardised whole. But the reality is that matters simply do not work this way.

I advocate community collaboration whatever the affair. I garuntee it will be technology that will offer hope for a democratic system to prevail, social networking is just the start of it, As an industry insider this type of issue is what will deliver the next multi billion dollar enterprises that create them.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies