What is Ireland???

Green eyed monster

What is Ireland
A bank or a multinational corporation, actually no a subsidiary of a parent corporation called the EU (onto which the parent company evacuates a lot of their debts), mismanaged by a corrupt board and with Enron style accounting.

But ah what it could have been, that is a different story.

Last edited:

Armchair Activist

Ireland is a embarrassingly parochial provincial kleptocracy. I for one cannot wait to exit this sorry place once and for all. The Irish deserve all the pain that is coming their way for voting in and continuing to support the retarded criminals in the Dail who are sacrificing their future for fear of upsetting the big boys in Europe and their banking overlords.
Its the system that sends the sheep to the slaughter.. the so called shepards are only there to entertain them in good times and mislead them in bad.

But there are good and decent sheep among them... more so in my 'God' honast opinion than what you will find in most other cultures of people around the world.

Armchair Activist

A bank or a multinational corporation, actually no a subsidiary of a parent corporation called the EU (onto which the parent company evacuates a lot of their debts), mismanaged by a corrupt board and with Enron style accounting.

But ah what it could have been, that is a different story.
Your looking back already???? lol.

Ireland can still emerge from this mess into something better... whatever that shall entail relies on the vision of whoever is left alive to steer the ship. All is not lost to the pirates we have in control but we need to get rid of them, that much is for sure.

huffnpuff

Sure there are some good people here, but no more than in other countries. Sheeple are sheeeple after all. I'm kind of disgusted that more people didn't turn out today. The level of apathy amongst 20-35 year olds is frightening. At least the Greeks had some backbone and tried to stand up to their opressors. Here we just take it without proper protest. Shameful.

Goodbody

I actually believe Ireland is the exception that disproves this rule. The majority of Irish people I know are honest, hardworking and ambitious, proud of their own capability and honest enough to know their limitation. These are the kind of people that drove the real boom of the mid 90s and expected to be rewarded for it.

I think our "elites" have hijacked our country over the past 13 years - people who were too lazy or stupid to make it on their own merits found a way to suck on the nectar - and all you had to do was cosy up to and sell your soul to FF - then await the plum quango roles, the continuous government contracts (ala PWC, Arthur Cox) and the gravy train of expenses.

Hopefully today's march was a first step to getting our country back - the only question is whether it will be beyond saving by the time we do.
Once you strip out those on the government contracts, the corrupt banks, the farmers fattened on the EU dole, the pyramid scheme construction sector, the overcharging retail sector, the trade union slush funds, the out of control gorging legal profession, the fornicating religious, the underperforming overpaid public sector, the multinationals cheating on their taxes, I mean who is left to be a moral person in this country?

I have a theory. For 150 years, Irish people were under the thumb of the Catholic Church. They outsourced their moral compass to the Church. There was no need to decide if something was good or bad, because the Clergy made that decision for you. Then in the 2000's, with a combination of disgust at Clerical sex abuse and increasing amounts of money in society, people cast aside the oppressive control of the Church. But they didn't replace it with anything else. Irish society became If I want to do it, I will do it. If I want something, I will take it. No consideration for consequences or who else might be disadvantaged. A nation of sociopaths.

Armchair Activist

Sure there are some good people here, but no more than in other countries. Sheeple are sheeeple after all. I'm kind of disgusted that more people didn't turn out today. The level of apathy amongst 20-35 year olds is frightening. At least the Greeks had some backbone and tried to stand up to their opressors. Here we just take it without proper protest. Shameful.
They are kept to their entertainments while avoiding the bores of politics. Perhaps too ignorant to the fact that everything will not be alright if things are allowed to continue un-challenged or contested. Most People do want to do something, but what hope have they when they are still askin themselves what and how?

Armchair Activist

Once you strip out those on the government contracts, the corrupt banks, the farmers fattened on the EU dole, the pyramid scheme construction sector, the overcharging retail sector, the trade union slush funds, the out of control gorging legal profession, the fornicating religious, the underperforming overpaid public sector, the multinationals cheating on their taxes, I mean who is left to be a moral person in this country?

I have a theory. For 150 years, Irish people were under the thumb of the Catholic Church. They outsourced their moral compass to the Church. There was no need to decide if something was good or bad, because the Clergy made that decision for you. Then in the 2000's, with a combination of disgust at Clerical sex abuse and increasing amounts of money in society, people cast aside the oppressive control of the Church. But they didn't replace it with anything else. Irish society became If I want to do it, I will do it. If I want something, I will take it. No consideration for consequences or who else might be disadvantaged. A nation of sociopaths.
And that is exactly why government exists.. to enforce laws that protect people. People will always look out for number one when they are forced to compete in a system that promotes it. Money is the source of all evil, it makes people do things they dont want to do. When one continues on this path they aim to justify themselves, in time they develop a liking for it. Hence the great narcissists we have in control of our governments, banking and corporate sectors. These people are screwing the world and make no doubt about it, its all they have to smile about in their sad pathetic lives.

beamish2010

A province of the EU.

Ireland today is now a province of the EU...Which is now being run by the EU gauleiter Olli Rehn...Our country has been so compromised and sold out by our so-called leaders...Forget Clowen,Kenny and Gilmore...It is now Olli Rehn who is really running the show for Ireland now.

wildmind

Listen aren't we told now not to be bothering our heads with big questions and to be worrying our little heads.

DO like Minister O Cuiv and the President said, pray, move on and drink yourself silly at the weekend.

The Doctor

Ireland isn't anything. Nations don't exist and countries are just constructions based on the belief that they do.

There should be no boarders and a single world government.

No, I don't think this will happen any time soon. It may never happen, but it should as it would be based on the reality of humanity's unity, undivided by race, gender or ideological barriers such as "nations".

Tiocfaidh_Armani

Ireland is the people. And say what you want but compared to many Irish people are a sound bunch. Dublin was recently voted the friendliest city in Europe and that says it all. We have our faults but we have a rich culture and heritage and it’s something to be proud. There is nothing wrong about nationalism as long as you respect other peoples’ cultures etc, but I think regardless of the economy we have a people to be proud of.

keeptalking

What is Ireland? Not really the easiest question to answer in a forum, it would probably take a book to explore the myriad answers to that question.

Are we the people who created gold torcs, amazing gold jewellery and carved spirals on stones, are we the wealth-addicted Mercedes buying people who thought of nothing but money and property during the boom? Are we the nation with a great literary heritage? Are we a nation full of corrupt, shoddily dressed politicians?

I guess the true question should be 'what is Ireland now, at this present moment in time', as the answer is ever-changing depending on the surrounding circumstances.

Last edited:

Oppenheimer

What is Ireland??

A departure lounge - with a €10 exit fee.

G

Gimpanzee

To be honest, I really don't get the concept of 'national pride'. After all, you dont' have a choice in where you're born or where your ancestors are from. Being Irish (or whatever) is not an achievement in which you can have any pride. Ireland will always be home and there are things about it I love and things about it which drive me nuts. But I can't say I ever feel either pride - or shame - about Ireland.

Just like I don't feel especially proud when an Irish sportsperson does well on the world stage, so too I don't feel any shame now that Ireland has become a financial cautionary tale for the rest of the world. I don't feel that either state of affairs reflect on me as an individual.
+1

Serindipity

What is Ireland? Its a country that you can travel to any unknown part to see family/friends, then pop into the local shop and have a conversation with the shop owner about nothing for ages, having only just met them!

Anglo Celt

What is Ireland? Its a country that you can travel to any unknown part to see family/friends, then pop into the local shop and have a conversation with the shop owner about nothing for ages, having only just met them!
where do you live??

Serindipity

where do you live??
Nth Dublin - maybe its just me then, I probably have a face that looks like I've escaped from the local asylum and they're humouring me - doya think:eek:

ALpike

Ireland isn't anything. Nations don't exist and countries are just constructions based on the belief that they do.

There should be no boarders and a single world government.

No, I don't think this will happen any time soon. It may never happen, but it should as it would be based on the reality of humanity's unity, undivided by race, gender or ideological barriers such as "nations".
I am unacquainted with any other way of thinking, So +1 to you bud.

To be honest, I really don't get the concept of 'national pride'. After all, you dont' have a choice in where you're born or where your ancestors are from. Being Irish (or whatever) is not an achievement in which you can have any pride.
petunia just my sediments completely.

Whalis Ireland ? - A dumb feudal Kleptocracy currently governed by a criminal syndicate of drunken crooks masquerading as a political party.
Tigris C I respond accordingly.These are all brilliant people synonymous with leading a great Irish nation :D

Armchair Activist

Ireland is just a big sod of earth to stop our feet from getting wet...

we dont need a another hero.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies